PDA

View Full Version : Honkin bigass bugs that slam right into me...

Little Frog
07-21-2005, 16:07
So I was out hiking last weekend, and like, 10 or 15 times a day these huge honkin bugs just....bashed into me. They came roaring up the trail and just...SLAM , right into me! Then the angry buzz of wings and legs occurs while the bug clears its head, gets its dumbass wings in order then buzzes angrily off. As if it's my fault.

WTH? I mean, I'm like 1000 times their size, how the heck could they not see me, ferchrissakes? I mean, you don't see them just slamming into trees like that, if so the ground at the base of every tree would be a graveyard of bigass dead bugs.

I just don't understand this...

Lone Wolf
07-21-2005, 16:10
It's trail magic.

Footslogger
07-21-2005, 16:21
Had the same thing happen to me in 2003. Not only would they fly straight into me but then they'd bounce off, buzz around my head for a minute, and then come at me again. I tried to swat one near the back of my neck and damn near knocked myself out.

'Slogger

restless
07-21-2005, 17:16
Are you sure that just maybe, you were crashing into them? It's their territory and you were invading it!!! Bugs have a right to fly around freely without having to deal with large, two legged mammals in their fly zone. :datz You were simply an intruder, a large moving object that the bugs, quite frankly, were evidently ill-equipped to deal with. After all, you were just passing thru, weren't you? So get over it and stay out of their territory, they were there first. further proof that humans should be banned from the woods!!!!Sheesh!!! :D

Big Dawg
07-21-2005, 17:24
Too funny,,,,,,, LOL! Little Frog,, love your title :D

neo
07-21-2005, 19:05
catchy title lol:cool: neo

samfsmith
07-22-2005, 15:04
They are attracted to large slow moving objects that breath out carbon dioxide. They didn't evolve to drink hiker blood, but take advantage of the opportunity.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2115.html

Footslogger
07-22-2005, 15:17
[QUOTE=samfsmith]They are attracted to large slow moving objects that breath out carbon dioxide.
==============================
Guess I'd better pick up the pace a bit then ...

'Slogger

Mr. Clean
07-23-2005, 20:58
I had a kamikaze bug shoot straight into my ear in the Mahoosucs yesterday. Didn't wiggle in or anything, just fired straight in there. He buzzed for a while since I couldn't reach it.

DLFrost
07-24-2005, 12:18
So I was out hiking last weekend, and like, 10 or 15 times a day these huge honkin bugs just....bashed into me. They came roaring up the trail and just...SLAM , right into me! Then the angry buzz of wings and legs occurs while the bug clears its head, gets its dumbass wings in order then buzzes angrily off. As if it's my fault.

WTH? I mean, I'm like 1000 times their size, how the heck could they not see me, ferchrissakes? I mean, you don't see them just slamming into trees like that, if so the ground at the base of every tree would be a graveyard of bigass dead bugs.

I just don't understand this...
With a name like Little Frog, and you don't understand what's with all the free Honkin Bigass Bugs? Ingrate!

I'd guess Cicadas, Kady Dids, or some of the larger beetles. We need more information. Truth is, there are so many kinds 'o bugs it could be just about anything.

Say, you don't think that Crazy Earth Mommy hasn't gone an invented a parasitic control for all those hiker creatures runnin around out there...? Lays eggs on unsuspecting hiker, weeks later hiker is found in room cocooned in a silken pupae... :eek:

Doug Frost

Doctari
07-24-2005, 15:19
I had a kamikaze bug shoot straight into my ear in the Mahoosucs yesterday. Didn't wiggle in or anything, just fired straight in there. He buzzed for a while since I couldn't reach it.

My worst experience with A bug did just that, didn't hit the ear at all, flew STRAIGHT INTO the ear canal. ***? It was just south of Clingmans dome in GSMNP about 10 years ago. I never did identify what type of bestie it was. Thankfully I didn't get stung or bit, but it too buzzed a bit afore I squished it with my car key & scraped the bits out.

Shiver!

Doctari.

Kerosene
07-24-2005, 16:32
...it too buzzed a bit afore I squished it with my car key & scraped the bits out.Thanks so much for sharing the details. :eek:

TDale
07-24-2005, 19:08
You're moving to fast for their avoidance systems. Notice none ever hit you in the back. When you see one coming stand still.

:D

Doctari
07-24-2005, 20:27
Thanks so much for sharing the details. :eek:

You are totally welcome :jump

Doctari.