PDA

View Full Version : Hiking After Shoulder Surgery

fwish
06-13-2013, 12:58
It looks like I will have to have surgery to remove some bone spurs in my left shoulder. This is a new area for me and I was wondering how long it might be before I could get back into backpacking after surgery? If anyone has any experience with this type of surgery and recovery, I would like to hear about it so that I know what to expect. I also walk nearly every day for a few miles just for exercise and wanted to know how surgery might effect my walking routine.

Wise Old Owl
06-13-2013, 13:00
don't use a pack for a while... clip everything to the belt. Keep on walking/.

CB1821
06-13-2013, 14:30
There are a lot of variables that will determine how fast you can get back to backpacking after shoulder surgery, so it would be hard to say what you will experience. I would ask your medical provider.

I can tell you that after having the same surgery (....as well as for rotator cuff, bone repair, muscle reattachment, and a slap tear) I was back to hiking with a day pack after a few months and can now backpack with no problem, but tht might not be your experience.
FWIW, I would advise you to do your research on the surgeon you are having do the procedure and make sure they are well regarded for the surgery they are going to do on you. I made the mistake of not doing that, and had to have a second surgery a year later – to repair what the first surgeon messed up and fix the original problems.

Good Luck

bwb49
06-13-2013, 16:02
I had rotator cuff repair and some bone spurs removed at the end of October, I was backpacking the end of April. I could have done it sooner (possibly by the end of February) but this was the first chance I had. From what my doctor and physical therapist said I recovered faster than normal. I was very diligent in doing my exercises which I think helped in the recovery. I believe that each person responds differently, so it really depends on the individual. Best of luck to you.

johnnybgood
06-13-2013, 16:46
Good prognosis for speedy recovery. Your Orthopedic Surgeon will give you specific exercises toward a successful rehabilitation.

kidchill
06-13-2013, 17:42
Just want to point something out. I had horrible bursitis in my right shoulder when I got back from thru-hiking. Whenever I would take my pack off, I would fling it off of my left shoulder and all the weight would crash down on my right arm. Once I got back to sleeping in a bed every night, I would put pressure on that arm and wake up in hella pain. So, I would just recommend being careful putting on and taking off your pack. It took a while for the pain to go away. I was expecting my feet to still hurt for a few weeks, but not my damn shoulder! Just an FYI, cause honestly, I never worried about my upper body out there...but I guess slamming a pack on your arm 10 times a day for 2200 miles does some damage...who woulda thought?

q-tip
06-14-2013, 10:34
I have had 2 shoulder rebuilds, the most important thing is getting your full range of motion back, the strength will come pretty fast. No problems for me....

staehpj1
06-14-2013, 11:00
I was able to get full mobility back pretty quickly after both of my shoulder surgeries. I was hiking without a pack pretty much immediately. I think I could have carried a pack pretty soon, but wasn't backpacking at the time. If you pack light enough you might consider one of the larger waist packs from Mountainsmith. I am pretty sure I could get my gear into one if I was only going a couple days between food resupply and didn't need a bear canister.