PDA

View Full Version : Planning a 2015 Thru-Hike

Hikin' Boy
06-13-2013, 13:31
I realize that I am still in the very early stages of planning for my 2015 thru-hike, but I figured that I should be seeking advice from the very beginning. Essentially what I need right now are suggestions on what gear to start accumulating and how to start preparing my body for this hike. I have done many section hikes of the AT, so I know what to expect, somewhat. Through these hikes I have also shaved my base back weight down to about 19 lbs. Any gear, conditioning or logistical recommendations are highly appreciated! Thank You!

RodentWhisperer
06-13-2013, 17:58
First, welcome! Read over the forums, and you'll get a lot of the information you're in search of.

Regarding gear, a number of members have touted the worth of this list: http://www.backpacker.com/appalachian_trail_gear_list/gear/12536

4shot
06-13-2013, 18:48
the best thing you can do is to do several longer section hikes between now and then. You will figure out what works for you. Especially get out on the trail if you can now. i expect the thru hiker bubble is somewhere around Pa. now. Talk to them and/or observe what they are doing. Most are friendly enough, especially if you offer some food or trail magic.

you might want to dab some off the Vack's salve under your noise though, the stink can be overwhelming. otherwise, just hang out and read WB. understand that nearly all of the advice is well intentioned but there are no right/wrong answers on gear selection, correct base weight, how much to budget, etc. again, the best advice is to get out on the AT, do as many miles/nights as possible and talk to those who have walked up to your neighborhood from Ga. even though some of those may not get to Mt. K, ythey have done enough miles imo to still give you some valuable first person advice.

stranger
06-13-2013, 19:43
Best thing you can do is hiking, PA has a wonderful trail system, to me a long-distance hike is just a 3-5 day hike repeated over and over, I would explore the many great PA trails cause frankly, the AT in PA is somewhat underwhelming for many hikers (I actually like it)

swjohnsey
06-14-2013, 10:47
You can knock your base weight down a bunch if you've a mind to.

fireneck
06-15-2013, 10:35
Figure out your big three (http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/5159/big-three-backpacking-gear-items/); pack, shelter, sleep system.

ULA (http://www.ula-equipment.com/) makes great packs. There are lot of tarp/tarp tent set ups. They are cheaper and lighter than the traditional "light weight backpacking tent." Also, Look into quilts opposed to a sleeping bag.

You're first month of on trail will be all the training you need. The best way to train for walking 10-15 miles over mountains is to walk 10-15 miles over mountains. B)

stranger
06-21-2013, 00:16
Figure out your big three (http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/5159/big-three-backpacking-gear-items/); pack, shelter, sleep system.

ULA (http://www.ula-equipment.com/) makes great packs. There are lot of tarp/tarp tent set ups. They are cheaper and lighter than the traditional "light weight backpacking tent." Also, Look into quilts opposed to a sleeping bag.

You're first month of on trail will be all the training you need. The best way to train for walking 10-15 miles over mountains is to walk 10-15 miles over mountains. B)

Most hikers never make it a month into a thru-hike attempt...there are a variety of reasons, one big one is that they get their ass kicked their first few days and become incredibly disheartened and negative, and spend 5 days to reach Neels Gap 30 miles up the trail...it pays to get fit, both physically and mentally. Just my view.

karder
07-17-2013, 09:27
I realize that I am still in the very early stages of planning for my 2015 thru-hike, but I figured that I should be seeking advice from the very beginning. Essentially what I need right now are suggestions on what gear to start accumulating and how to start preparing my body for this hike. I have done many section hikes of the AT, so I know what to expect, somewhat. Through these hikes I have also shaved my base back weight down to about 19 lbs. Any gear, conditioning or logistical recommendations are highly appreciated! Thank You!

You are not alone my friend. I have long decided that 2015 will be the year I do the thru hike. As a 30 year gift to myself. Who knows, maybe we'll run into each other on the trail :D

JustaTouron
07-17-2013, 14:11
Rather than worrying about accumulating more gear (If you have what you need for 4 day hike, then you have everything you need for a 400 day hike, other than toe nail clippers) I would focus on accumulating/saving money. While shaving a pound of weight off your pack will make your trip more pleasurable, so will having a few thousand more dollars in your bank account to spend on motels and restaurants.

Datto
07-17-2013, 20:02
Your base weight is fine assuming that weight gets you a week of hiking plus food and water.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on getting mentally prepared between now an when you start your AT thru-hike -- I wouldn't spend another moment on gear.

To do that -- to get more mentally prepared -- you may wish to hike and carry your backpack for a week at a time. Since you've got plenty of time between now and when you start your AT thru-hike, hike in the rain, snow and sweltering heat. Hike so the weather isn't such a shock. Sleep in your tent or in shelters on your week-long hikes.

Note that the terrain is much more difficult and way more rugged in New Hampshire and Maine (as well as Georgia and North Carolina) than it is in Pennsylvania. If you have the chance, you may wish to hike up north in New Hampshire and Maine to get a load of that terrain as a familiarity lesson.

Probably the key thing is to get as much experience hiking it the rain as possible before your start your AT thru-hike.

Also, get $5,000 available to spend on your AT thru-hike -- and make sure you have 1/2 of that available by the time you reach northbound at the southern Connecticut state line. It's very expensive in the Northeastern states compared to the southern states.

Just a thought -- if you wanted to do something completely different, you could hike the John Muir Trail in California since there is so much time between now and when you're going to start your AT thru-hike. Spectacular views on the JMT. It's roughly about 273 miles long or so, start to finish. Altitude may come into play where altitude doesn't make any difference on the AT. Terrain is pretty rugged (although not as rugged as New Hampshire and Maine on the AT).

Datto

Datto
07-17-2013, 21:07
Another idea for a multi-day hike would be to partake in Trail Days the weekend after Mother's Day in May, held in Damascus, VA, then hike northward to Troutdale, VA up over Mt. Rogers and through Grayson Highlands and come off the Trail just after Old Orchard Shelter. Stay overnight at the end at the Fox Hill Inn (make arrangements to leave your car there if you drive down from Pennsylvania, and then make arrangements to have them (the Fox Hill Inn people) pick you up in Troutdale, VA and take you back to stay overnight at the Fox Hill Inn). This is one of the hikes I did when I was preparing for my AT thru-hike.

Here's a panorama view of the AT going up over Whitetop Mountain I took in that area on that AT training hike prior to starting my AT thru-hike.

Datto

Blissful
07-17-2013, 22:03
The body will take care of itself as you hike. But doing some cardiovascular work-outs can't hurt.

Datto
07-17-2013, 22:16
By the way, my backpack when I started the AT weighed 37 pounds at the Amicalola Visitor's Center starting up the Approach Trail to the AT to start my AT thru-hike. My pack weight lessened during Virginia/West Virginia/Maryland/Pennsylvania then went to 40 pounds in the 100 mile wilderness in Maine (much of that was extra food to try to quell my raging appetite as well as winter gear).

Met a guy in Maine carrying a life-sized cutout of super model Kathy Ireland on the back side of his backpack. Totally worth the extra weight he said.

Well, if you're going to carry something extra for more than 2,000 miles, I guess Kathy Ireland is as good as anything.

Datto

conburn
07-19-2013, 21:18
I agree with doing some longer hikes. As far as gear goes, I feel like by doing those hikes you will find out what is best for you because it sounds like you already have some stuff but just want to refine it. Planning is half the fun!

MuddyWaters
07-21-2013, 16:18
Nobody ever quit because their pack was too easy to carry.

PeaPicker
07-22-2013, 03:03
I too am planning a 2015 thru hike of the AT.Have been reading ,no devouring ,everything I can about the trail, and it's people.For me it's not so much about all the technical stuff, although very important,it has taken on a personality so to speak.I can't put my finger on it I just feel it.The first whisper was" try me and I'll nurture your spirit in every way possible".Okay enough of the get out your hankie stuff.I just wanted Hikin' Boy (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?48642-Hikin-Boy) to know that I will be joining

2YoungsHike
01-19-2014, 14:50
My wife and I are planning a 2015 thru hike as well. We will be leaving the end of Feb. We are very excited and still a long way off from being ready. Still need some gear and other thru hike stuff. Any tips would be nice.... Or if you plan on leaving around the same time ...message us.

Sidd
02-04-2014, 12:26
Hope to see you on the trail in 2015!

Siarl
02-04-2014, 14:33
Also in the midst of planning my thru-hike for 2015. I make it a goal to look up resources once a day. Can hardly wait. See you on the trail.