PDA

View Full Version : pack fitting

Namtrag
06-13-2013, 14:18
Recently bought an Osprey Volt, which is adjustable one size fits all. I measured at a large torso.

Put it on, and backpacked (3 trips so far). A guy I hike with helped me get it adjusted better, but still have problems.

To make it ride up on my hips high enough, we adjusted it to a small. But it still slides down during the hikes. If I tighten the shoulders to keep it from sliding down, it digs in too much in the front. Also have trouble getting the pack to where it touches my shoulders in the back. My friend was able to fit his entire hand, and could have fit two hands in the gap between the pack and my shoulder in the back. Tightening the load lifters helped.

Everyone has commented that my shoulders are too big and muscular and that's why it's hard to fit it to me. My biggest mistake was buying it without a load in it.

Just wondering whether it's the pack, or inability to adjust correctly!

yaduck9
06-13-2013, 15:41
Recently bought an Osprey Volt, which is adjustable one size fits all. I measured at a large torso.

Put it on, and backpacked (3 trips so far). A guy I hike with helped me get it adjusted better, but still have problems.

To make it ride up on my hips high enough, we adjusted it to a small. But it still slides down during the hikes. If I tighten the shoulders to keep it from sliding down, it digs in too much in the front. Also have trouble getting the pack to where it touches my shoulders in the back. My friend was able to fit his entire hand, and could have fit two hands in the gap between the pack and my shoulder in the back. Tightening the load lifters helped.

Everyone has commented that my shoulders are too big and muscular and that's why it's hard to fit it to me. My biggest mistake was buying it without a load in it.

Just wondering whether it's the pack, or inability to adjust correctly!

I use a Granite Gear Pack, I am not that familiar with Osprey. I am not an expert. But......I have, pretty much, always cranked down on the hip belt so that the majority of the load rests on the hips. It should not, generally, slide down off of the hips ( at least for an hour or so ). Its hard to say whats going on without seeing it. It may be the hip belt is not tight enough or it may not be the right size. Just an opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LebKt1obESo

rocketsocks
06-13-2013, 15:50
I have the Osprey Atmos, and it to requires re-tightening (hip belt) throughout the day. Make sure load lifter are all the way loose before you tighten the shoulder straps, and then tighten them. Give this a looking over.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/web/sizing_and_fitting

Venchka
06-13-2013, 16:01
Are there any fit insructions with the pack?
Looking at the Volt at Osprey's web page:
The hipbelt is adjustable for the size of your hips. Did you try that?
My method for wearing my backpack:
All shoulder pad & hipbelt straps loose.
Sling the pack on my back.
Get the hipbelt in the correct location relative to my pelvic bones.
Tighten hipbelt.
Deep breath. Suck in my gut. Tighten hipbelt.
Tighten the belts from pack bag to hip belt. I have 2 per side.
Take up slack on shoulder straps until the straps make a nice curve over my shoulders. Even contact over my shoulders.
Take up slack on the pack bag to shoulder strap straps.
Repeat the tightening starting at the hipbelt and work my up.
When finished, the pack conforms to my body. I can slide a finger under each shoulder strap. The point where the shoulder straps attach to the pack bag is 1" to 2" below the top of my shoulders and the hipbelt is riding on my pelvic bones. The hipbelt is NOT around my waist.
A good backpack should fit like a good glove.

Wayne

Venchka
06-13-2013, 16:06
looking more closely at the Volt...
I see one problem. It is one that I have noticed recently. Many modern packs lack the lower straps that transfer the load of the bag to the hipbelt. Dumb! Cost and weight cutting in the wrong place.

Wayne

Namtrag
06-13-2013, 16:28
thanks, Yaduck.

I crank it pretty tight, but may be able to crank it some more. It feels so light when it's riding up higher, so I will keep experimenting with the adjustments.

I do find it funny that they measured me as a large torso (19.5 cm), and I ended up setting it back to the small setting to have it fit better.

Namtrag
06-13-2013, 16:28
inches, not cm!

yaduck9
06-13-2013, 16:50
thanks, Yaduck.

I crank it pretty tight, but may be able to crank it some more. It feels so light when it's riding up higher, so I will keep experimenting with the adjustments.

I do find it funny that they measured me as a large torso (19.5 cm), and I ended up setting it back to the small setting to have it fit better.

You may want to see if the belt is slowly slipping through the thing a ma jig as you walk. That could be why the hip bellt slips down off of your hips.

I have no idea what one would use to mark the belt ( chalk? , white magic marker ? )

Namtrag
06-13-2013, 17:02
Hey Wayne, I totally missed your posts, we were posting at the same time I think. Yeah, I don't have straps from the pack to the hip belt...sounds like I could really use them!

I try doing the steps pretty much in this order:

loosen all straps
put pack on, and bend forward at the waist while jacking the packing up around hip bones. tighten hip belt while bent over
straighten up and then tighten the shoulder straps while shrugging.
snap closed the sternum strap and tighten
pull load lifter straps to bring top of pack closer to shoulders.

It feels great for a while, but then slowly somehow slips so the hipbelt is closer to being around my waist.

Namtrag
06-13-2013, 17:03
You may want to see if the belt is slowly slipping through the thing a ma jig as you walk. That could be why the hip bellt slips down off of your hips.

I have no idea what one would use to mark the belt ( chalk? , white magic marker ? )

I have checked that at break time, and the S is still showing through the little window where you adjust it!

I will also be experimenting more with the adjustable hip belt that Wayne referred to above. Currently I have it retracted most of the way on both sides since I am stocky.

Feral Bill
06-13-2013, 17:32
It may be that your build and the pack are a poor match. If you just can't get it comfortable, shop on.

stranger
06-13-2013, 19:59
A couple things...very few adult males are a large torso, it's extremely rare to find a torso that exceeds 19.5 inches, extremely rare. What is VERY common is people who have been measured incorrectly.

Belts sliding down is usually due to wearing the hip belt too low, also, you mention needing to shorten the sizing to get the belt in the correct place...in reality this probably means you have a much shorter torso than you have been measured at. The gap you explain between you and the pack also suggests that you are wearing the pack too low.

The pack goes where you put it, makes sure ALL straps are loose when you put the pack on, especially your shoulder strap stabiliser straps, the top edge of the hip belt should only be about 2-3 inches below the bottom of your ribcage.

Another good trick to check if the pack is too low, sit down wearing the pack, if the belt digs into your legs...too low. Finally, this is very common for those with love handles, who tend to wear the pack ''under" the handles instead of where the belt should be...on the hip bones

Wise Old Owl
06-13-2013, 20:49
A couple things...very few adult males are a large torso, it's extremely rare to find a torso that exceeds 19.5 inches, extremely rare. What is VERY common is people who have been measured incorrectly.

Belts sliding down is usually due to wearing the hip belt too low, also, you mention needing to shorten the sizing to get the belt in the correct place...in reality this probably means you have a much shorter torso than you have been measured at. The gap you explain between you and the pack also suggests that you are wearing the pack too low.

The pack goes where you put it, makes sure ALL straps are loose when you put the pack on, especially your shoulder strap stabiliser straps, the top edge of the hip belt should only be about 2-3 inches below the bottom of your ribcage.

Another good trick to check if the pack is too low, sit down wearing the pack, if the belt digs into your legs...too low. Finally, this is very common for those with love handles, who tend to wear the pack ''under" the handles instead of where the belt should be...on the hip bones

I agree, Today I was at REI and to my amazement a 6 foot guy was trying on at first appeared to be a girls pack. the waist belt was below the lungs... after some 15 minutes I walked over and "offered" some advice that it was too small for the torso... He was appreciative..

stranger
06-13-2013, 22:31
I would break torso length down as follows:

Under 14 inches = generally speaking this will be children
14-15.5 inches (XS) = short torso women, growing kids
16-17.5 inches (S) = overwhelming majority of women, about 25% of men
18-19.5 inches (M) = overwhelming majority of men, about 5-10% of women
20+ inches (L) = very rare, 5-10% of men, almost unheard of with women

Keep in mind that frame sizes are relevant to options, so a pack company that makes just 2 sizes might say the pack fits a torso length of 14-18 inches in a Medium...that is the equivalent of saying a shoe fits a foot 9-11 inches - it doesn't. The reason they do this is to sell products...it's impossible for a internal frame pack to fit both a 14 and 18 inch torso, it may work, you may get by with it...but fit? No dice. However, remember that it's not always about fit, it's about selling products. If they put down 2 sizes, 16-18 Med, 18-20 Lrg...they lose the sale to someone with 15 inches...and that can't happen!

So many people out there in the wrong pack sizes, I would say nearly 50% that I've seen, and about 25% of thru-hikers that I've met in my travels. Scary! I've learned to keep my mouth shut while hiking, because ignornace is bliss, and someone isn't going to appreciate being told they are in the wrong sized pack after 700 miles, ego's will explode...but when asked I will help out.

stranger
06-13-2013, 22:33
Also, height has very little to do with torso length...show me 20 guys who are 6' 1, I'll show you 18 size medium packs.

Wise Old Owl
06-13-2013, 22:35
apparently they do not care at the store.

Praha4
06-13-2013, 22:40
the way a backpack carries on your body is also affected by how you are packing the stuff in the backpack. Placing the heavy stuff further away from the back will pull it away from the shoulders, make it feel like it's dragging down away from your hip as you hike. Relook at how you are packing the backpack.

BuckeyeBill
06-13-2013, 23:20
I would break torso length down as follows:

Under 14 inches = generally speaking this will be children
14-15.5 inches (XS) = short torso women, growing kids
16-17.5 inches (S) = overwhelming majority of women, about 25% of men
18-19.5 inches (M) = overwhelming majority of men, about 5-10% of women
20+ inches (L) = very rare, 5-10% of men, almost unheard of with women

Keep in mind that frame sizes are relevant to options, so a pack company that makes just 2 sizes might say the pack fits a torso length of 14-18 inches in a Medium...that is the equivalent of saying a shoe fits a foot 9-11 inches - it doesn't. The reason they do this is to sell products...it's impossible for a internal frame pack to fit both a 14 and 18 inch torso, it may work, you may get by with it...but fit? No dice. However, remember that it's not always about fit, it's about selling products. If they put down 2 sizes, 16-18 Med, 18-20 Lrg...they lose the sale to someone with 15 inches...and that can't happen!

So many people out there in the wrong pack sizes, I would say nearly 50% that I've seen, and about 25% of thru-hikers that I've met in my travels. Scary! I've learned to keep my mouth shut while hiking, because ignornace is bliss, and someone isn't going to appreciate being told they are in the wrong sized pack after 700 miles, ego's will explode...but when asked I will help out.

I must be rare then my torso measures 21and 3/4 as measured by my physical therapist.

putts
06-14-2013, 00:03
When measuring your torso, stand up straight, lean your head forward to find your C7, keep your finger on it, then return your head to an upright position. Measure from your Iliac crest to that point. If you keep your head down you get an inaccurate measurement.

stranger
06-14-2013, 02:27
I must be rare then my torso measures 21and 3/4 as measured by my physical therapist.

It's either rare or wrong, I'm guessing wrong, unless yo uare 6' 4 or more

How tall are you? What's your inseam? Would you classify as overweight? Your physical therapist will know nothing about pack fitting most likely. There is a hell of alot more to pack sizing than grabbing a flexible measuring tape.

stranger
06-14-2013, 02:31
When measuring your torso, stand up straight, lean your head forward to find your C7, keep your finger on it, then return your head to an upright position. Measure from your Iliac crest to that point. If you keep your head down you get an inaccurate measurement.

Good advice except you can't accurately measure your own torso in my experience, but you can get close. The number one problem is that people have no idea what the Iliac Crest is, most people go off a point far too low, also the C7 is not always obvious...even then, do you measure from the top or middle or bottom? So many variables, it's ALWAYS best to try on a pack, loaded with 25lbs, that is the best way to fit a pack.

Just like shoes, measuring doesnt' mean much if the company runs big, small, wide, European sizes -vs- UK -vs- US, etc...

Namtrag
06-14-2013, 08:34
Thanks for all the help and advice. I will look at my packing to see if I can shift more weight to the bottom, and also play around with the hip belt adjustments it allows.

BuckeyeBill
06-14-2013, 23:21
It's either rare or wrong, I'm guessing wrong, unless yo uare 6' 4 or more

How tall are you? What's your inseam? Would you classify as overweight? Your physical therapist will know nothing about pack fitting most likely. There is a hell of alot more to pack sizing than grabbing a flexible measuring tape.

Well Stranger, I had my therapist remeasure me following the directions from ULA since I am buying a Catayst backpack. According to them, you keep your chin tucked to your chest while measuring to the top of the hip bone. It is still 21 3/4 inches. I am 5'10" and weigh 180 lbs. Now my therapist may not be an expert in fitting packs, but she knows how to find the Illiac Crest and to top of my hip bones. Also if the manufacturer of the pack says keep your chin tucked to you chest while measuring, I am going to follow their directions and not yours. Have a nice day.

stranger
06-15-2013, 22:25
Well Stranger, I had my therapist remeasure me following the directions from ULA since I am buying a Catayst backpack. According to them, you keep your chin tucked to your chest while measuring to the top of the hip bone. It is still 21 3/4 inches. I am 5'10" and weigh 180 lbs. Now my therapist may not be an expert in fitting packs, but she knows how to find the Illiac Crest and to top of my hip bones. Also if the manufacturer of the pack says keep your chin tucked to you chest while measuring, I am going to follow their directions and not yours. Have a nice day.

I never said not to tuck your chin...that is a common way to help find your C7...so no issue there.

5'10'' and 21 2/4 torso length...something is wrong, no question. I'm telling you so you don't buy the wrong size pack, not to be your friend. Go to a shop and get fit properly. What have you go to lose by getting another opinion on this?

F

BuckeyeBill
06-16-2013, 00:27
I never said not to tuck your chin...that is a common way to help find your C7...so no issue there.

5'10'' and 21 2/4 torso length...something is wrong, no question. I'm telling you so you don't buy the wrong size pack, not to be your friend. Go to a shop and get fit properly. What have you go to lose by getting another opinion on this?

F

Can you tell me which retailers have ULA Equipment packs, sioo i can get custom fitted.

stranger
06-16-2013, 02:02
I'm not the best source on this, I got my ULA from Mount Rogers Outfitters in Damascus, VA, also I know Bluff Mountain used to have them in Hot Springs, NC or even Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap on the AT. There is a great outfitter called Midwest Mountaineering in Minneapolis, one of the best in the country and worth a trip IMO.

Otherwise, you don't need to be custom fitted into a ULA, they are not that hard to fit, generally just 2 frame sizes, the belts are easy to fit and the shoulder harness is sewn in, so it's more about getting fit, then going from there.

I know ULA will let you order two packs, then return one...so you could directly order whatever you wanted, say a Cataylst in Med with a medium hipbelt and a Large with a Large hipbelt, bring the packs to a good place, and they should be willing to help you size the pack, perhaps for a small fee. Then you return the one you don't want. Plus the hipbelts are removable, so you might find you are best in a Med pack with a Large belt, etc...

It just requires a bit more of a hassle, but ULA's are not stocked in many shops to my knowledge, so this is one of the drawbacks to that.

stranger
06-16-2013, 02:02
I'm not the best source on this, I got my ULA from Mount Rogers Outfitters in Damascus, VA, also I know Bluff Mountain used to have them in Hot Springs, NC or even Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap on the AT. There is a great outfitter called Midwest Mountaineering in Minneapolis, one of the best in the country and worth a trip IMO.

Otherwise, you don't need to be custom fitted into a ULA, they are not that hard to fit, generally just 2 frame sizes, the belts are easy to fit and the shoulder harness is sewn in, so it's more about getting fit, then going from there.

I know ULA will let you order two packs, then return one...so you could directly order whatever you wanted, say a Cataylst in Med with a medium hipbelt and a Large with a Large hipbelt, bring the packs to a good place, and they should be willing to help you size the pack, perhaps for a small fee. Then you return the one you don't want. Plus the hipbelts are removable, so you might find you are best in a Med pack with a Large belt, etc...

It just requires a bit more of a hassle, but ULA's are not stocked in many shops to my knowledge, so this is one of the drawbacks to that.

BuckeyeBill
06-16-2013, 02:31
thanks..............

shakey_snake
06-19-2013, 08:30
Larges happen. I'm 6' and hand a 20.5" torso.

I also wear suit pants with a 27" inseam. ;)

Just as reference, my wife is a leggy 5'3" and the tops of our hips are almost at the same height when standing next to each other.

poopsy
06-19-2013, 10:23
Just to add my two cents, I am 5'7" and have finally finally found a pack that fits with a large Osprey Exos. I didn't think it would work but it does so it's great to finally have a pack that fits properly. And yes, I have very short legs.

stranger
06-21-2013, 00:11
Yup...absolutely, Larges do happen...about 5-10% of the time...which is why they make them in the first place.

What happens ALL the time is people being fitted wrong...so it pays to double, triple check things when it comes to pack fitting. 6 foot, 27 inch inseam, sounds Large to me : )

Namtrag
07-10-2013, 14:27
Re-starting this thread to update it.

On our trip to Dolly Sods last week, I was still uncomfortable with the pack. The leader of our meetup group (an engineer) was looking at my shoulder area, and could fit his hand underneath the shoulder strap at the top of back area. He was shaking his head and trying to figure it out, and suddenly had an epiphany. The load lifter straps on my Osprey Volt were threaded through a separate piece on the shoulder strap, and when you pulled tightened them, it lifted the shoulder straps up.

Long story short, he un-did the load lifters from this apparent poorly designed contraption, and they laid directly over the shoulder strap...the pack fits perfectly now. Either I have a weird build, or they designed that part incorrectly. I wish I had a picture so you could see the original design.

Venchka
07-17-2013, 13:12
Let me guess...
An online mail order purchase?
You didn't look at the Osprey fitting videos.

he un-did the load lifters from this apparent poorly designed contraption That contraption is a sliding ladder bar thingie. It is designed to move to the correct location for the individual using the pack.
The person assembling the pack in Vietnam didn't place the slider in the correct location. That is the job of the person fitting and adjusting the pack for you at time of purchase. Ooops! You probably bought online.
Move the load lifter attachment slider until it is forward (your front side) of the top of your shoulders.
The hip belt should also be adjustable via a velcro patch that secures the belt behind the lumbar. Unless that feature was omitted in this new cheaper pack.
I hope you finally get this pack to fit you. Folks always moan and groan about store prices versus online prices. They forget about the personal service from experienced folks at real stores.
Have fun.

Wayne

Ground Control
07-17-2013, 13:33
FWIW I also recently purchased an Osprey -- got the Exos 58

The local retailer pointed out to me that Osprey packs often fit strangely -- in spite of me measuring 21" (Large), the Medium pack clearly fits my shoulders much better. He claims it is a common Osprey anomoly. (:shrug:) He recommended Osprey Exos customers try downsizing one pack size. Not sure your Osprey model has the same issue... I took his advice and am very pleased with mine.

Sounds like you figured it out, too.

Namtrag
07-17-2013, 14:28
Let me guess...
An online mail order purchase?
You didn't look at the Osprey fitting videos.
That contraption is a sliding ladder bar thingie. It is designed to move to the correct location for the individual using the pack.
The person assembling the pack in Vietnam didn't place the slider in the correct location. That is the job of the person fitting and adjusting the pack for you at time of purchase. Ooops! You probably bought online.
Move the load lifter attachment slider until it is forward (your front side) of the top of your shoulders.
The hip belt should also be adjustable via a velcro patch that secures the belt behind the lumbar. Unless that feature was omitted in this new cheaper pack.
I hope you finally get this pack to fit you. Folks always moan and groan about store prices versus online prices. They forget about the personal service from experienced folks at real stores.
Have fun.

Wayne

Bought the pack at our local outfitter. My mistake, and his, was not putting enough weight in the pack, so of course, it felt fine even though it didn't fit! lol

Namtrag
07-17-2013, 14:31

The local retailer pointed out to me that Osprey packs often fit strangely -- in spite of me measuring 21" (Large), the Medium pack clearly fits my shoulders much better. He claims it is a common Osprey anomoly. (:shrug:) He recommended Osprey Exos customers try downsizing one pack size. Not sure your Osprey model has the same issue... I took his advice and am very pleased with mine.

Mine is one size fits all, so I was able to at least make adjustments and get it fitting better. Once I got the load lifters wound the way that works for me, the thing felt like a brand new pack. It hugged my back all the way up

Venchka
07-17-2013, 16:53
Bought the pack at our local outfitter. My mistake, and his, was not putting enough weight in the pack, so of course, it felt fine even though it didn't fit! lol

I apologize for making a rude assumption. The Volt is on my short list if I ever want a new pack. I'm glad you sorted it out. I was about to remove the Volt from my list. I am leaning toward the Aether line for the customization.

Wayne

Namtrag
07-17-2013, 17:19
I apologize for making a rude assumption. The Volt is on my short list if I ever want a new pack. I'm glad you sorted it out. I was about to remove the Volt from my list. I am leaning toward the Aether line for the customization.

Wayne

Apology graciously accepted, and now that I have fixed my problem, I love my volt! I hope you do find he right pack. My wife loves her Osprey Kestrel, and Osprey's are good packs.

rocketsocks
07-17-2013, 18:58

this is what happened with me, switched to the medium and went with the Atmos...love this pack, fits like a glove.

Namtrag, I see now what you saying about the load lifters going through those other shoulder loops...glad you got it worked out...I like the Osprey fit...very comfortable to me.

Grey Ghost
02-04-2014, 16:46
What size did you get, a med. or a large? I have a circuit which is a large and my height and weight is the same as yours, although I understand our backs (Illiacc Crest) could be different.

hermit1970
02-20-2014, 17:24
I also have a large gap between my shoulder and strap on my Osprey pack. I'll check the load lifters to see if they are set properly but I thing it's just too long for my torso.