PDA

View Full Version : UL Pack recommendations

Csteward
06-13-2013, 20:18
Curious to opinions on the granite gear blaze and leopard packs, as well as the osprey exos 58? If you have any other recommendations, I would love to hear them

Thanks

Nooga
06-13-2013, 20:24
+1 for the Osprey Exos

Rasty
06-13-2013, 20:33
ULA Cicuit

Studlintsean
06-13-2013, 21:02
ULA Cicuit

+1. I upgraded last winter and have 100+ miles on mine and love it

Del Q
06-13-2013, 21:24
I have several packs, like many of us, I also have some pretty serious orthopedic issues. Felt that I would benefit with a real frame.

Saved up and bought the Osprey Exos 58, to me this is a "cadillac" pack

Hip belt pockets for me are mandatory, lightweight, lot of well thought-out features.

A LOT of thru hikers use Osprey packs, in time I might see more and more why this is.

Leanthree
06-13-2013, 22:19
Great customer service from osprey. I love my exos 46. There are some lighter packs with more spartan features if that is your goal but for its weight, it incorporates some brilliant features to be quite comfortable.

Loneoak
06-13-2013, 22:57
Elemental Horizons Kalais

shakey_snake
06-13-2013, 23:04
Don't look away from the Osprey's Hornet.
It has a lot of the same features as the Exos but is lighter. If you have a 10lb base weight (e.g. "UL"), you likely have no need for the Exos's extra frame or extra zippered pocket.

ToddW
06-14-2013, 00:09
I have two favorites and they both have ULA written on the front. Ones a Circuit and the others a Catalyst. They are lightweight and comfortable and loaded with features.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Shonryu
06-14-2013, 00:16
ULA CDT - Very sturdy construction and at 1.5oz its a beast. Another recommendation is the Granite Gear crown v but is 13 ounces heavier. I never understood why people consider the exos packs to be UL to much weight for me. IMO the suspension doesn't justify the weight gains. Between my hammock set up or traptent using a CDT I'm carrying about the same weight as an exos pack. I perfer to keep my three season base around 8lbs to 9lbs max

MuddyWaters
06-14-2013, 00:22
People either seem to love, or hate, the exos.
The Granite Gear Crown has not received the accolades the Vapor Trail did.

Choosing a pack is a personal thing. What one person loves, another will hate.
Try out several that meet your criteria.

I have bought 4 ULA packs to date.

A.T.Lt
06-14-2013, 01:21
Love my exos 58...I feel I'm far from being considered UL, but this pack is light, very comfortable and packed with features that I love having. Best gear purchase I've made this year

RCBear
06-14-2013, 08:46
If it's not comfortable, it doesn't matter what it weighs.

If its comfortable, it doesn't matter what it weighs.

nastynate
06-14-2013, 09:28
I really like my Exos 58. But it's huge! I can fit 2 35* apex quilts, change of clothes for me and my boy, double FAK, 2 ridgerests, solong 6 tent, and food for 3-4 days for 2 people. All this and in still not using the mesh back pocket and I've taken the top pocket off completely.

I'm thinking about the small hornet or ULA Ohm for 3 season solo trips.

bigcranky
06-14-2013, 10:09
I really wanted to like the Exos 58 -- it's the perfect size for a winter pack for me -- and so I carried one around REI for a couple of hours one day. The lower part of the frame ended up digging into my hips in a most painful fashion. I think if it fits you, it's a great pack, but I don't think it fits larger people well (and I don't mean "fat" people, I mean large people.)

Kerosene
06-14-2013, 10:13
If it's not comfortable, it doesn't matter what it weighs.

If its comfortable, it doesn't matter what it weighs.Agree with the first sentence. But if a pack is comfortable and weighs 5 pounds less than another comfortable pack, go with the lighter pack. Also, a larger volume pack subtly encourages you to bring more stuff; stuff that ultimately increases the load on your knees.

I loved the way my Dana Designs Teraplane X carried a 40-pound load, but at 7.5 pounds it is 4.5 pounds more than my Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone and I'm only carrying a 25-pound load now.

q-tip
06-14-2013, 10:30
+1 GG VC Crown

2NewKnees
06-14-2013, 10:49
Just bought the GoLite Jam 50L. Taking it on first trip next week. Can't wait to see how it does and feels! Very impressed with the capacity and feel walking around the house packed. We'll see next week.

RCBear
06-14-2013, 10:52
Agree with the first sentence. But if a pack is comfortable and weighs 5 pounds less than another comfortable pack, go with the lighter pack. Also, a larger volume pack subtly encourages you to bring more stuff; stuff that ultimately increases the load on your knees.

I loved the way my Dana Designs Teraplane X carried a 40-pound load, but at 7.5 pounds it is 4.5 pounds more than my Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone and I'm only carrying a 25-pound load now.

You're right in that all things being equal, lighter is certainly better. That said, i think that certain packs (such as DD, Mystery Ranch, Gregory) are heavier because of generally more durable construction and superior suspensions. in my humble opinion, after a full day of hiking, the real question to be asked is, "did that extra 2-3 lbs of pack weight enhance or detract from my experience"? i have several gregory's ranging from their Z line to the Baltoro. I found that although the Z's are a bit heavier than the comparable Osprey packs like Exos, the fit, comfort and load handling was drastically different.

People dedicated to UltraLight obviously have their systems dialed in from experience and their packs reflect their styles. People like Tipi Walter are obviously conditioned and experieced enough to carry 70bls into the backcountry and their preference in style and need is also reflected in their choice of backpack.

I think most of us fall somewhere in the middle. Based on the OP's question, I'm guessing he is moving towards the UL direction but still getting much of it worked out. Anytime you can cut weight and achieve the same results then that is good. But lighter doesn't always mean you will feel fresher at the end of the day. Now, volume choice of course, is a whole 'nother thing.

SouthMark
06-14-2013, 11:22
I have 8 packs. My GG Gorilla and GG Murmur are my go to packs. My ULA Circuit is next in line for real winter trips. I sold my Granite Gear packs and my Osprey Exos packs. I have a Zpacks customized Zero pack but I find I just grab my GG Murmur for those SUL trips. Nothing wrong with the Zero, I just like my Murmur.

Csteward
06-14-2013, 16:18
Thanks for all the responses. Yeah I like the look and weight of the Osprey. I have to go to REI soon to try it out. The last Osprey pack I tried on, I didn't like. I felt that there was too much of a gap between my back and the pack. Thanks for all the other recommendations as well. It seems a lot of you prefer frameless packs, correct? My base weight is around 12 pounds. With food and water, my pack weighs in at 21.99 pounds. I have certainly looked into the ULA packs, as well as the Go Lite Jam. It's difficult to try packs out for me because no store really carries ultra light packs anywhere even close to me. And I'm on a budget as well. I looked at the Crown, but saw a review on youtube saying the frame isn't the most rigid, on the other hand the frame on the blaze and the leopard are fairly rigid. That's why I stuck to them. And I figure I can also remove the lid on the leopard as well. My other problem is that I don't know how to properly pack framless packs so that the load feels good on your back.

MuddyWaters
06-14-2013, 19:21
It's difficult to try packs out for me because no store really carries ultra light packs anywhere even close to me. And I'm on a budget as well.

My other problem is that I don't know how to properly pack framless packs so that the load feels good on your back.

Post office will deliver, and you can return it. Trying out several different packs at home, with your gear, is possibly the most important money you can spend.

Many people dont know how to pack a frameless pack, or even where its limitations are. People that haul 25+ lbs around in a frameless pack, with most of the weight on their shoulders, and still claim its comfortable simply are trying to convince themselves. Yes it works, but so would a laundry bag. They would be MORE comfortable with a better pack, but they want to say they have a light pack. Ego.

Datto
06-14-2013, 19:42
The Granite Gear Crown has not received the accolades the Vapor Trail did.

The Granite Gear Vapor Trail packs I've bought since 2004 have easily been the best and most comfortable backpacks I've ever used. No wonder there are so many accolades.

I had to carry eight liters of water through the desert on the PCT with my Vapor Trail in 100+ temps and that backpack sure did make it just about as comfortable as 8 liters of water, food and assundries is gonna get. Not exactly an ultralight backpack at maybe 2.8 pounds dry weight (trimmed you can get it to about 2.5 lbs) but instead, focused on comfort in a wide range of weights (which, on the PCT, is what you'd likely face with a El NoNo year like 2004).

Datto

blue indian
06-14-2013, 21:28
I used to have the GG blaze. It fit well and was pretty comfy. However I did not like the front pocket and I never needed 60 liters, even with my winter setup. I felt like I could find a pack that would suit my needs that weighed less.

I went thru many packs from multiple manufactures ( ula, osprey, granite gear, gossamer gear) and I ended up going with the elememtal horizons kalais for its weight, features, and fit.

This is a sweet pack and is handmade by the owner. They have awesome customer service and quality product and made in the USA. Highly recommended.

Swordpen
06-15-2013, 00:11
I have the ULA Ohm 2 = 23 oz, & the Zpacks arc blast =16 oz.

my base weight with the zpacks is 6# (sleeping bag, 1.5 sleeping pads, Lightheart solo tent with titanium stakes).

my total weight in the zPacks is 22-23# with 3 day food, 2 L water. & have room to spare, they say this can handle 30# (but I can't!)

so how much # do you want to carry?

2NewKnees
06-15-2013, 08:08
Post office will deliver, and you can return it. Trying out several different packs at home, with your gear, is possibly the most important money you can spend.

Many people dont know how to pack a frameless pack, or even where its limitations are. People that haul 25+ lbs around in a frameless pack, with most of the weight on their shoulders, and still claim its comfortable simply are trying to convince themselves. Yes it works, but so would a laundry bag. They would be MORE comfortable with a better pack, but they want to say they have a light pack. Ego.
Wrong! No Ego here, just looking to lighten the load so I can enjoy the hike better.You don't know if it's good til you try it.

Csteward
06-15-2013, 09:33
I really don't want to carry anymore than 25 pounds. And honestly, I'd like to carry in the 20-23lbs range, which is what I have now, about 21.99 pounds. However, that is with the weight of the pack included. Since I got rid of the Baltoro, I supplemented in a factor of 3lbs for the pack. So even with a relatively non light pack, I can get down to almost 20 pounds, which is nice. Technically I could probably go with a frameless pack because of this, but I don't know how to pack one, and I want a little rigidity from a frame for my back.

Drybones
06-15-2013, 09:53
Curious to opinions on the granite gear blaze and leopard packs, as well as the osprey exos 58? If you have any other recommendations, I would love to hear them

Thanks

I looked at the Granite Gear Crown 60 and the Osprey Exos 58 and went with the GG 60 because I was concerned with the durability of the Exos, have no regrets. I have a Deuter ACT 65, REI Flash 65 and 50, Gregory 60 and non come close to the Crown 60 for confort, and I'll say something here most won't understand because the GG has no pockets, but, I organize better with it than the packs with lids and pockets.

Csteward
06-15-2013, 10:15
Well that's certainly good to hear. Comfortable, and organize better. My guess is you are forced to organize better without pockets, right?

2NewKnees
06-16-2013, 10:08
Without the pockets makes it easier to organize for me too. I packed the tent low, then my sleeping bag, food and stove, cookset. It takes some practice I'm sure but you still pack the heaviest items close to your COG and work to put the weight on the hips. I'll know more in a week after my first trip with the Jam so I guess I better shut up before people start bashing me!

Nooga
06-16-2013, 20:20
Without the pockets makes it easier to organize for me too. I packed the tent low, then my sleeping bag, food and stove, cookset. It takes some practice I'm sure but you still pack the heaviest items close to your COG and work to put the weight on the hips. I'll know more in a week after my first trip with the Jam so I guess I better shut up before people start bashing me!

If you pack your tent low, how does that work when setting up or breaking down in the rain?

2NewKnees
06-16-2013, 22:00
It sucks. But in my old pack my tent was packed low as well. I had a zipper to access my sleeping bag compartment but still not my tent. Still working on how to pack this pack for sure. Wish I had a lighter tent. that is the next goal this fall.

Shonryu
06-17-2013, 12:46
If you pack your tent low, how does that work when setting up or breaking down in the rain?

My brother and I both use a GG Crown V60 and a ULA CDT. I hammock camp so I attach my fly on the outside of my pack. It's the last thing I pack and the first thing that goes up if I get caught in a storm or when I set-up camp. It takes me less than 3 mins to have it up. If it gets wet it dry’s quicker on the outside and keeps me from having to dig through my gear to get to it which is nice in a storm.

My brother prefers tents and basically does the same thing. Both packs have large external mesh pocks that he will just shove his footprint and tent into. Same concept. If they are wet they will dry faster vs. being crammed in your pack.

I'm a minimalist. I don't carry a lot of weight. By standards I'm still in UL but I'm working on moving to SUL. I usually keep my base for 3 season around 8lbs or less.

As far as base weight if you’re around 12lbs base both packs will work. I've carried loads up to 30lbs in my Crown. Most of that was food and water. In my CDT you’re going to want to stay under a max load of 25lbs. Even 25lbs in my opinion is pushing it. In regards to the GG collapsing if you pull the frame sheet out this does become a problem if you’re not going to use a pad to help add extra support to the pack. But the same applies to any frameless pack. Your either going to need to use a pad to help with the support of the pack of really know how to pack it.

Each person has their own way of packing a pack. Eventually you will find a system that works for you and it becomes second nature. I've packed my pack the same way so many times that I can tell if something is missing. I use a compactor bag. Never had a problem with leaks. I don’t use a compression sack or stuff sacks for my TQ and UQ. I just cram them into the bottom of the pack. Everything on top compresses my quilts and they fit better in my packs that way. Next my hammock, clothes which I just cram in around the sides as far down as I can get them, then my cook kit, and then close off my compactor bag and put my food bag on top. I use the front main mesh pocket for my rain gear, first aid/ hygiene, headlamp, water filter + dirty bag, and whatever else I may need quick access too. Hope this helps.

Csteward
06-17-2013, 15:55
I really like the Leopard 58 by granite gear. That is on the top of my list. 2nd is the blaze or crown, and third is the Jam 50. I like the Jam cause it uses a closed cell foam pad for support, but i'm worried about the padding on the shoulder straps and hip belt.

Csteward
06-17-2013, 18:07
does anyone recommend the 2013 (new) Jam 50s?

A.T.Lt
06-17-2013, 19:14
I really like my Exos 58. But it's huge! I can fit 2 35* apex quilts, change of clothes for me and my boy, double FAK, 2 ridgerests, solong 6 tent, and food for 3-4 days for 2 people. All this and in still not using the mesh back pocket and I've taken the top pocket off completely.

I'm thinking about the small hornet or ULA Ohm for 3 season solo trips.

This is true..It does hold a LOT...but I like that! I like packing FOOD and SNACKS~!

Csteward
06-18-2013, 17:28
2NewKnees, how are you liking the jam? also, what kind of pack weight are you working with?

2NewKnees
06-19-2013, 12:07
2NewKnees, how are you liking the jam? also, what kind of pack weight are you working with?

I like the new Jam 50 by design. It has a good size outside pocket on the back that can hold a tarp and some other small stuff. The pack is very roomy inside. The mesh pockets on the side easily carry 32oz. bottles, the roll top is good and cinches down tight, the hip belt it small with little padding and zipper pockets. May be able to fit a n energy bar in those. It is very light for sure and seems to have decent structure for a light load. Right now I'm still moving to being UL so my pack weight is about 23 lbs. with food for 4 days. My planned trip for this week was cut so I won't have my first trip with it til late fall.

Csteward
06-19-2013, 21:34
Sounds good. How is the padding on the shoulder straps? Is it a comfortable pack? and how is it not having stabilizer straps on the shoulder straps? 23 pounds to me is pretty light. I'm at about 20.7 right now with 5 days of food + water. For 3 season, it will probably be about 23 or 24. I ended up getting the leopard last night; although, I have to say, the Jam was actually probably my 2nd choice. I'll be leaving for a 11-13 day trip on the A.T. in a few weeks, so I had to get a pack as soon as possible. I thank everyone for their contributions. Kinda nervous, as this is my first long distance backpacking trip (200 miles). I know I'll be fine, though.

Shonryu
06-19-2013, 22:15
Just take care of your feet and you'll be fine :)

rocketsocks
06-20-2013, 00:36
Just take care of your feet and you'll be fine :)Now that's a Maxim!

Csteward
06-20-2013, 09:43
haha that's true

2NewKnees
06-20-2013, 12:26
Sounds good. How is the padding on the shoulder straps? Is it a comfortable pack? and how is it not having stabilizer straps on the shoulder straps? 23 pounds to me is pretty light. I'm at about 20.7 right now with 5 days of food + water. For 3 season, it will probably be about 23 or 24. I ended up getting the leopard last night; although, I have to say, the Jam was actually probably my 2nd choice. I'll be leaving for a 11-13 day trip on the A.T. in a few weeks, so I had to get a pack as soon as possible. I thank everyone for their contributions. Kinda nervous, as this is my first long distance backpacking trip (200 miles). I know I'll be fine, though.

You'll have a great time! Enjoy it! The Jam 50 has load lifters and the padding is minimal but I like the feel of the pack so far. I haven't been able to use it on the trail yet so that is the issue. Anyway, have a great trip!

Csteward
06-20-2013, 15:34
Oh, the load lifters must be new for 2013 then, which is certainly a welcomed change haha. And Thank You!