PDA

View Full Version : mountain hardwear phantom 45 down filled 45 degrees. A good buy??

sherbi5
07-21-2005, 16:21
This weekend I have the oppurtunity to buy this for $170. I am hiking in the spring fall and summer nad mostly in 40 plus weather. I cannot find any reviews for this online and am hoping somewhere here has tried it and can give me some advice. Thx.

soulrebel
07-21-2005, 16:51
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9437

sim discussion

I was eyeballing the same bag for awhile b/c even at $200 it seemed to be a good buy. However for 6oz more and $120 less, the 45deg rei, down summer bag was on sale for $75 that week...Ended up getting neither of those and opting for something a lil warmer, almost as light, but more expensive. Marmot Hydrogen 30d albeit $300 (expensive enough that i swear I'm sewing my own quilt next time)

Part of my reasons for marmot:
1) 6.1 and I toss around and marmot's seem to be roomier up top w/ a good box for my feet
2) I trust the marmot name from my backcountry ski/board experiences.

whatever it's worth....

Bob Baker
07-21-2005, 21:58
Backpacker magazine just had a review of the mountain hardware lamina and said great things about it. Its a 40 degree bag at 2lbs 1oz and costs 100 dollars. For 70 bucks less, not a bad deal. I'd also consider the REI summer bags as soulrebel said since they are so inexpensive, relatively light, and one (i believe) has two zippers.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9253

Here is another similar thread

neo
07-21-2005, 22:24
kelty light year 45 $99.99 1lb 12oz,great bag for a hiker on a budget:cool: neo

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39173492&memberId=12500226

mhussey
07-21-2005, 22:59
I second the Kelty Lightyear, I got mine for, get this...free! Gotta love those credit card rewards! Picked up a Kelty LY 25 degree down bag for $75 at Cabelas and paid for it with my rewards cash. 2.1 pounds and stuffs down to 6x8" (not as cool as my girls EMS Velocity at 1.8# and 5.5x8")! I am looking at upgrading my -20 winterbag to a Marmot along the lines of the Helium as mentioned above.

TakeABreak
07-22-2005, 06:49
First the temperature rating would concern me, on memorial day weekend of 2001, I got back to the trail to finish my nobo. I was carrying a Western Mountaineering 40 degree down bag. It was cool and rainy for several day's, I am a guy and a warm sleeper and I got cold every night, I sent for my 15 degree marmot bag right away. Which I used in the start of my hike on 2/12/2000 and never got cold at night.

I would definitely consider a warmer bag, spring and fall, can bring some very unexpected cold days and nights. Personally i would not use anything less a bag rated at 30 degree's, I say that because a bag rated at 30 will generally keep a person warm a 20 unless it is wet, or you are in high wind and exposed. You can always unzip it a little if it too warm. Here is what I would consider, as stated above the Marmot Hydrogen http://marmot.com/products/product.php?cat=bags&subcat=33&style_id=F2000

Marmot gear is not cheap, but for me their gear lasts a long, long time and and has not failed me yet.

I had a mountain hardware down bag, rated at around 25 (not sure of exact rating) they are good bags, I had it 10 years 1990 -2000, gave it to friend who needed one for weekend trips that had done many, many favors. She aid it still works fine for her. My current bag is 1999 Marmot pinnacle, down bag 15 degree rating, I too fatihful to marmot because of how well the bag has treated me.

Peaks
07-22-2005, 07:43
First, a 45 degree bag is strictly a summer bag for most of us. Probably best used in June, July and August. You will still want a bag with a lower temp rating for spring and fall.

Second, with a summer bag, much of the weight is in the shell and zippers, not the fill. So, down may not offer much weight savings over synthetic fill.

Before buying, compare specifications with other bags, and try them on for fit. Does the premium price of a down bag justify the weight savings?

JimSproul
07-22-2005, 09:17
I bought my Phantom 45 for more than $200. I have used on a number of warm weather trips. I have been comfortable in sleeping in silk longjohns and cap with this bag in a bivy to the low 40's.

This bag packs small and weights about a pound. I combine it with a Thermarest Pro 3 3/4 lenth and a basic bivy and I am good to go.

It is on the tight side through the sholders if you are my (size 44" chest) but very warm, very comfortable with no bunching of the 800 fill down.

I also have a Sierra Designs Fast Bag but it does not pack as small (600 fill down)

Hope that helps. I would buy a new one if mine were lost or stolen.

weary
07-22-2005, 10:24
First, a 45 degree bag is strictly a summer bag for most of us. Probably best used in June, July and August. You will still want a bag with a lower temp rating for spring and fall.

Second, with a summer bag, much of the weight is in the shell and zippers, not the fill. So, down may not offer much weight savings over synthetic fill.

Before buying, compare specifications with other bags, and try them on for fit. Does the premium price of a down bag justify the weight savings?
All valid points. Between April and November, however, I carry an ancient North Face down sleeping bag liner 1# 12 oz. (vintage late 70s) which I supplement early and late with a down jacket and insulated long johns.

The combination worked between April 13 and Oct. 16 on the trail in 1993 and on many early and late season trips before and since. Early and late I like something to sit around in before heading for bed. The jacket and underwear thus serves a dual purpose.

It's my primary "ultralight" concession.

Weary

jackiebolen
07-22-2005, 13:30
I have that bag and am very, very happy with it. I combine it with a liner and a little fleece blanky on cooler night, down probably to 20 degrees and I've been not too cold. It packs very small, so I can get away with a daypack of sorts for one or two night trips of for travels.

Not sure what else is out there that is in the same kind of category, but strictly based on whether I like this bag, or not, I would have to say go for it. I got mine fo $200 so less and that's what I saw everyehere. So if you can get it for less than that, it's probably a good deal.

oliander
08-11-2005, 17:29
There is a review of the ultralight sleeping bags at:

http://climbing.com/equipment

The reviewers noted which bags were true to their official temperature rating.

I got Mountain Hardwear's Phantom 15 degree bag this year and LOVE it. That may be too warm for you, and if so get the 30-degree bag. I sleep cold. The bag is super comfy, packs down tiny for a 15-degree bag, is true to the temperature rating, has a men's and women's version (women's has wider hips and narrower shoulders), has a great draft collar, and is extremely well constructed. Mountain Hardwear tends to have reputation for very well made products. I got mine on Ebay. Good luck!

yogi clyde
08-11-2005, 18:30
I have that bag, and the zipper always gets stuck. :mad:
I would not buy it again.

My warmer bag is a Western Mountaineering, love it! :)