PDA

View Full Version : Water availability in MD

alverhootzt
06-14-2013, 09:11
I'll be hiking through MD next week and was wondering what the water situation is like. Plentiful?
Thanks

MDSection12
06-14-2013, 09:19
I'll be hiking through MD next week and was wondering what the water situation is like. Plentiful?
Thanks

After the rain we've had there will be no shortage.

Starting from Harper's Ferry, these are my choices:

Ed Garvery (a decent walk down the hill but a nice spring)
Gathland State Park (spigot at the bathroom building)
Crampton Gap (spring down by the shelter)
Rocky Run (spring by the old shelter)
Dahlgren Backpacker's Campground (full bath house)
Annapolis Rocks (spring all the way down past the sites)
Pogo Memorial (spring 50 yards down Thurston Griggs trail)
Ensign Cowell (this is a box spring, so the water is stagnant... I'd treat this)
Raven Rock (never been to the spring, too close to a road for my taste)
Pen Mar Park (bathrooms are usually open, or you can use the water fountain on the outside wall)

With the exception of Ensign Cowell and Raven Rock, both of which I intentionally skip, I have drank from all of these sources without treatment many times in the last year with no issues.

Have fun! :)

MDSection12
06-14-2013, 09:21
Spelled 'Garvey' wrong and forgot the spigot right on the trail at the Washington Monument parking lot. That would be between Dahlgren and Ensign Cowell.

FarmerChef
06-14-2013, 09:39
Spelled 'Garvey' wrong and forgot the spigot right on the trail at the Washington Monument parking lot. That would be between Dahlgren and Ensign Cowell.

Maryland is great for having access to daily potable water. Just camel up when you get there and haul extra for breakfast/dinner. Easiest water on the trail, imho.

MDSection12
06-14-2013, 09:44
Maryland is great for having access to daily potable water. Just camel up when you get there and haul extra for breakfast/dinner. Easiest water on the trail, imho.

Agreed. If you are careful you could even complete the section drinking only from spigots (Gathland, Dahlgren, Washington Monument and Pen Mar,) but I love some of the springs. The one at POGO is one of my all time favorite springs. Only one I like better is the 'secret' one on top of Old Rag mountain... And I won't share that one if I don't have to. :p

Demeter
06-16-2013, 06:34
If I had known Ed Garvey was such a haul up and down I would have brought extra from the last stop. Rocky Run and POGO are my favorite springs in Maryland. The spring is at the old Rocky Run shelter.

alverhootzt
06-18-2013, 04:58
thanks everyone for the detailed responses. i'm heading out tomorrow. can't wait!

Captn
07-07-2013, 10:18
Any water sources between shelters?

horicon
07-07-2013, 11:16
Can I get some ice with the water?

WalksInDark
08-02-2013, 21:43
Yes, try any time after November 15th...usually lots of ice in the springs then!