PDA

View Full Version : NOBO may thru hike gear?

dtmriley
06-14-2013, 11:39
I plan on thru hiking 2014 starting in may once my gf graduates from college. Does starting in may change what gear or clothing we will need for the start? Lighter jacket? 40 degree bag? ..

Thanks for your guys time

Dan

bigcranky
06-14-2013, 13:20
Yes, and yes. If starting from Springer, late May means no need for real winter gear, though you should have enough clothing that if you wear it all inside your bag, you can handle temps down to freezing (I had frost at Springer the first week in June a few years ago.) But mostly it'll be in the 50s at night, and anywhere from 60s to 80s during the day.

Also consider the alternative of starting at Harper's Ferry and heading north to Katahdin, then flipping back to HF and hiking south to Springer. That helps avoid some of the hottest weather in the South and Virginia, while letting you "finish" twice. You'll also start with more thru-hikers in HF, though you won't be keeping up with them for a couple of weeks. That's my plan for an eventual thru-hike, as I work at a university and would be able to leave in late May.

Good luck and happy trails.

moldy
06-14-2013, 16:33
Not that much. The weather can be so different from year to year. 2012 it was hot in May at the start of the trail. This year at that same time it was snow and cold. You need to be ready for both. If you opt for a 40 degree bag you should be get a fleece liner for it.

flemdawg1
06-18-2013, 12:37
In May you still have some likelyhood of freezing temps, howver the worst case scenario temps come up quite abit (from near 0 for March to 20s for May). So keep the jacket, beanie and 1 set of long johns, but take the 40 deg bag and add clothing if it gets too chilly.

stranger
06-21-2013, 21:20
It has snowed after Memorial Day in the south before at elevation