PDA

View Full Version : i need a new tent

hikerboy57
06-14-2013, 14:15
been using a big agnes flycreek ul2, i developed a hole in the rainfly(probably from some campfire ember) and its got a lot of wear and tear on it. Im attempting a thru next spring, and need to look at some alternatives, not necessarily free standing.

bigcranky
06-14-2013, 14:20
If I were buying a new solo tent right now, I'd get a Tarptent Notch. Two doors, two vestibules, uses my trekking poles, double wall, less than two pounds. Not free standing, of course.

It looks like a nice upgrade to my Moment, which I rather like.

Rasty
06-14-2013, 14:21
If I was getting a new tent it would be the Tarptent Notch with solid and screened interior. Two different interior options and also can be used without the screen/floor for superlight.

Rasty
06-14-2013, 14:22
Big cranky beat me by one minute.

MDSection12
06-14-2013, 15:00
Ever tried a hammock? Not being pushy just curious.

rocketsocks
06-14-2013, 15:53
Well I went for the free standing BA copper spur UL1...but the TT "Notch" was second on my list...tons of room it looks like...

RodentWhisperer
06-14-2013, 17:13
Here's yet another +1 for the Notch. Roomy, light, airy, and rainproof (if you seal the seams well).

4Bears
06-14-2013, 17:30
The new TT Moment is now double wall with 2 entrances, slightly larger than the Notch, about the same weight, and can be free standing, with the optional pole. Also look at the Heartlight tents, Solo and SoLong 6 Standard, a real palace for a one person tent.

Slo-go'en
06-14-2013, 17:50
I really like the Six Moon Designs "Skyscape Trekker" I bought for my spring hike. At 24 oz it's pretty light, sets up in reasonably tight spaces, I sit up in it with out rubbing my head on the top and not have my elbows touch the sides when changing a shirt. I weathered some pretty good T storms and all night rains without getting wet too. There is some minor misting during real heavy rain, which is to be expected.

Sarcasm the elf
06-14-2013, 20:19
I just got a TT double rainbow which is light has two doors and has a great weight to interior space ratio, though I haven't even had a chance to use it yet aside from setting it up in the yard so I can't give too much of an in depth review.

hikerboy57
06-14-2013, 20:40
I just got a TT double rainbow which is light has two doors and has a great weight to interior space ratio, though I haven't even had a chance to use it yet aside from setting it up in the yard so I can't give too much of an in depth review.
thank you, ill go with that one. you really sold me.i did look at the lightheart solo, saw it at hiker bash in franklin where coincidentally dozens of gear vendors were hanging out. i was impressed.
i did like my flycreek, may even go back to it, but i would prefer a side vestibule.

Rasty
06-15-2013, 01:12
thank you, ill go with that one. you really sold me.i did look at the lightheart solo, saw it at hiker bash in franklin where coincidentally dozens of gear vendors were hanging out. i was impressed.
i did like my flycreek, may even go back to it, but i would prefer a side vestibule.

I have the double rainbow and its a great tent.

Dr. Professor
06-15-2013, 08:38
I like hammocks better, but if you're going to stay on the ground, I like the flexibility of the Echo I or Echo II. $$$ though.

Praha4
06-15-2013, 09:26
Get the Tarptent Notch. Weighs 1.5 lbs. Great double wall shelter.

cathyss2000
06-15-2013, 09:33
My daughter says her contrail isn't holding up well in the rain. is the notch that much better?

Franco
06-15-2013, 17:53
"My daughter says her contrail isn't holding up well in the rain. "

The trick with the Contrail is to learn to set it up nice and taut,
If done correctly at the start it is then easy to adjust from the inside if it sags later on.
(you lift the pole up a bit...)
here is one of my backyard tests :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD5t3TOrUa0

Franco
06-15-2013, 18:04
BTW, the Notch might be easier to set up , still some are better than others at doing that.I have several video clips on the Contrail including a short one of two days and two nights of rain on the Contrail (Spring in Australia) and Setting Up The Contrail part 1 and 2.
(You Tube Franco Darioli)

link for the video clip on previous post :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD5t3TOrUa0

Rasty
06-15-2013, 23:10
I'm not 100% sure if Hikerboy is cool enough to own a USA made Tarptent Notch or Double Rainbow! :D

hikerboy57
06-15-2013, 23:37
I'm not 100% sure if Hikerboy is cool enough to own a USA made Tarptent Notch or Double Rainbow! :D

probably not

Rasty
06-15-2013, 23:39

probably not

Reverse psychology didn't work

daddytwosticks
06-16-2013, 06:54
BTW, the Notch might be easier to set up , still some are better than others at doing that.I have several video clips on the Contrail including a short one of two days and two nights of rain on the Contrail (Spring in Australia) and Setting Up The Contrail part 1 and 2.
(You Tube Franco Darioli)

link for the video clip on previous post :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD5t3TOrUa0 If setting up the Notch fly alone w/o the inner, how do you get the lenght set with the two end stakes before using your hiking poles to erect the fly? When the inner is attached, I just set one end and pull the other end taught and stake. With the inner not attached, how do you "set" the length? :)

topshelf
06-16-2013, 10:22
If setting up the Notch fly alone w/o the inner, how do you get the lenght set with the two end stakes before using your hiking poles to erect the fly? When the inner is attached, I just set one end and pull the other end taught and stake. With the inner not attached, how do you "set" the length? :)

First, I agree with all the notch suggestions. I got this tent this winter and I love it. so many set up options, two vestibules, one for gear, one for entering. Set up can be finicky, but I got it down quickly. I'm 5 foot 9 and I have plenty of room inside. I love to set it up with all four sides rolled up on a good weather night, and with two doors up when weather might go south.

As for setting the notch up without the inner mesh...thats a good question...I'd call Henry and ask. let us know what he says.

Or if it were me, I'd set it up once with the inner attached. I'd then use one of my trekking poles to measure the length from stake to stake. Just laying it out and measuring end to end. I'd put a small mark where it ends up in the middle on the last "flip". Should be an easy way to replicate it each time without the inner mesh.

Franco
06-16-2013, 21:53
"With the inner not attached, how do you "set" the length?'

Not sure if I have a video showing that but it is rather simple.
Set up the tent with the inner attached.
make sure it is set up correctly.
Now remove the inner and the the trekking poles but leave the two end set up.Take a look at how the fly collapses.
You will notice that in the middle the fabric has some slack .
So knowing this ,take it apart and set one end up, go to the other end , set the other end triangle to be parallel to the first one and leave some slack on the fly for the middle.

Franco
06-16-2013, 22:38
You can see how I do it in this clip :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFrnmny7Ho0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFrnmny7Ho0
not my best set up but was just meant to show how it sets-up dry inside.
(yes that was my only take, I had no intention to make it look better because it was a bit cold too as well as wet...)

Ktaadn
06-17-2013, 15:47
Here's yet another +1 for the Notch. Roomy, light, airy, and rainproof (if you seal the seams well).

I would never buy a tent that came from the factory with seems that leaked. That just doesn't make any sense to me.

BTW, the seems on my rain coat don't leak either.

atmilkman
06-17-2013, 15:52
been using a big agnes flycreek ul2, i developed a hole in the rainfly(probably from some campfire ember) and its got a lot of wear and tear on it. Im attempting a thru next spring, and need to look at some alternatives, not necessarily free standing.

That's a pretty nice tent you got there HB. Too bad the fly got a hole in it. As much as that tent has been through it's like it almost deserves to do a thru-hike. Good luck with whichever one you choose.

hikerboy57
06-17-2013, 16:48
That's a pretty nice tent you got there HB. Too bad the fly got a hole in it. As much as that tent has been through it's like it almost deserves to do a thru-hike. Good luck with whichever one you choose.
ive had that tent for 5 yrs, has as many miles as a thru hike on it.

coach lou
06-17-2013, 19:54
22115 I understand these 2 fellas had a crazy nite of hurricane winds, and the green thing stood thru it all, nice and dry!:rolleyes:

hikerboy57
06-17-2013, 19:54
never undertand why i have to seal the seams.

BuckeyeBill
06-17-2013, 19:57

For $25.00 Tarptent will seal any of their tents prior to shipping

hikerboy57
06-17-2013, 20:00
22115 I understand these 2 fellas had a crazy nite of hurricane winds, and the green thing stood thru it all, nice and dry!:rolleyes:
matter o fact so did the fly creek. still thinking of going back to one. i like what ive been able to see of the notch, and im still liking the lightheart solo.but the fly creek has held up in all kinds of weather, always kept me dry.got a month to decide.would like more feedback on the lightheart tents, if anyone has one

hikerboy57
06-17-2013, 20:02
For $25.00 Tarptent will seal any of their tents prior to shipping
so they charge more for something they should do to begin with?too funny.except for desert conditions, is there any benefit to not sealing seams?

topshelf
06-17-2013, 20:02

I dont feel like you really need to... but i personally feel it adds a little bit of extra water-proofness and it makes me feel the threads are a bit more protected. but my notch didnt leak before i seam sealed it, at least not under the water hose test

hikerboy57
06-17-2013, 20:03
I dont feel like you really need to... but i personally feel it adds a little bit of extra water-proofness and it makes me feel the threads are a bit more protected. but my notch didnt leak before i seam sealed it, at least not under the water hose test
cool, thanks

coach lou
06-17-2013, 20:05
matter o fact so did the fly creek. still thinking of going back to one. i like what ive been able to see of the notch, and im still liking the lightheart solo.but the fly creek has held up in all kinds of weather, always kept me dry.got a month to decide.would like more feedback on the lightheart tents, if anyone has one

I've been eye-balling the Tarp-tent (duh), I like how they can go up just with the net. I e-mailed that company to get a bathtub floor for the Hooch.....they said no dice:(

BuckeyeBill
06-17-2013, 20:06
so they charge more for something they should do to begin with?too funny.except for desert conditions, is there any benefit to not sealing seams?

I agree they should be seam sealing them to start with.

Franco
06-17-2013, 20:46
Seam sealing silnylon has been done to death but here it is again...it has nothing to do with Tarptent or tarp tents for that matter, it is simply that non- PU coated silnylon cannot be factory taped.
To seam seal a tent you have to set it up , seal it , then leave it there for a day or two depending on the heat and humidity level.
Theoretically a manufacturer could have a large hangar to do them under but don't expect to have a $200 or $300 tent done like that.
Anyway some cottage manufacturers (Tarptent/SMD/LHG at least) can at times do it for a fee, however that is not always possible particularly in the busy season (right now...)
Telling is the fact that the larger brands such as Black Diamond and Macpac in spite of having their shelters made in China or Vietnam still don't include seam sealing with their silnylon shelters.
Coating the underside of the fabric with PU does make it possible to tape the seams but at the same time reduces considerably the tear strength of the fabric.
But of course if spending an hour sealing your tent is not your cup of tea, there are plenty of other options available.

Wise Old Owl
06-17-2013, 20:47
Yes it should be 5 Cents! 22117 Folks I still have a old canvas tent that is not seam sealed and doesn't leak. When threads are passed thru folded over seams, they can wick a heavy downpour thru to the inside.SO it drips.. hence never touch the sides of your tent.

With left over Seam Seal I did the ridgeline of the HH as found out it too drips... Pay $30 bucks? nah I will do it myself.

Sarcasm the elf
06-17-2013, 21:07
Like Franco said, all of the sil-nylon tents that I looked at were sold without seam sealing, this includes the lightheart tents.

I opted to pay the $25 to have Tarptent seal mine, but it would also have been easy enough to do myself. Given that my double rainbow was $100 cheaper than comparable tents made by the large manufacturers, I didn't think it have a problem paying, plus it's made in the USA.

Franco
06-17-2013, 21:48
BTW, I am glad that not every TT customer can or want to seam seal the tent.It gives me something to do :

I do other brands too, that allows me to play with them as I do them.

StealthHikerBoy
06-18-2013, 07:04

Look into the Light Heart Solo as well. I own both a LH Solo and a Tarptent Notch. Both would be great choices for a thru-hike. If I had to own one of them, it would be the Notch, because I like the option of leaving the inner at home during the non bug seasons. But, if I was thru hiking, I'd take the LH. It has a lot more space in the net tent portion, seems more stable, and is the tent I'd rather be caught in a rainstorm in.

daddytwosticks
06-18-2013, 08:04
Look into the Light Heart Solo as well. I own both a LH Solo and a Tarptent Notch. Both would be great choices for a thru-hike. If I had to own one of them, it would be the Notch, because I like the option of leaving the inner at home during the non bug seasons. But, if I was thru hiking, I'd take the LH. It has a lot more space in the net tent portion, seems more stable, and is the tent I'd rather be caught in a rainstorm in. Now I'm the exact opposite.

I've owned the Lightheart Solo, sold it, and now own the Notch. Using the LH Solo in wet weather, when you open the fly, rain can get into the tent. Plus, since the fly is attached to the tent body, it's difficult to try and dry the fly out after a night of rain. In my opinion, it's easier to get in and out of the Notch in the rain without getting moisture into the inner. Plus since the fly detatches, it's easier to pack it away w/o getting the whole tent wet, plus it's easier to dry the wet fly durring breacks while hiking. :)

hikerboy57
06-18-2013, 17:30
Look into the Light Heart Solo as well. I own both a LH Solo and a Tarptent Notch. Both would be great choices for a thru-hike. If I had to own one of them, it would be the Notch, because I like the option of leaving the inner at home during the non bug seasons. But, if I was thru hiking, I'd take the LH. It has a lot more space in the net tent portion, seems more stable, and is the tent I'd rather be caught in a rainstorm in.

Now I'm the exact opposite.

I've owned the Lightheart Solo, sold it, and now own the Notch. Using the LH Solo in wet weather, when you open the fly, rain can get into the tent. Plus, since the fly is attached to the tent body, it's difficult to try and dry the fly out after a night of rain. In my opinion, it's easier to get in and out of the Notch in the rain without getting moisture into the inner. Plus since the fly detatches, it's easier to pack it away w/o getting the whole tent wet, plus it's easier to dry the wet fly durring breacks while hiking. :)
okay back to square one.

rocketsocks
06-18-2013, 17:37
okay back to square one.

http://www.tentsile.com/

Wise Old Owl
06-18-2013, 18:25
nice find RS - Which tent were you using again?

Drybones
06-18-2013, 18:36
If I were buying a new solo tent right now, I'd get a Tarptent Notch. Two doors, two vestibules, uses my trekking poles, double wall, less than two pounds. Not free standing, of course.

It looks like a nice upgrade to my Moment, which I rather like.

+1...really like mine.

Drybones
06-18-2013, 18:41
My daughter says her contrail isn't holding up well in the rain. is the notch that much better?

Dont know about the Contrail but some of the best nights sleep I had were in a Notch with thunderstorms and heavy rain. You will get some occasional misting from large drops hitting and vaporizing the condensation on the inside.

Drybones
06-18-2013, 18:45

You can patch that hole with Krylon tape (sp?) and it will be good as new, bought an REI Quaterdome with a 6" rip and repaired it, also repaired sleeping bags and down jackets, holds up well when washed.

rocketsocks
06-18-2013, 19:07
nice find RS - Which tent were you using again?I'm current useing the Big Agnes copper spur ul1 (less foot print $40 to 60 dollars sold separately)....I like it...haven't found anything I don't like about it yet, except that a gear shelf (hammock) is sold separately...

hikerboy57
06-18-2013, 19:16
You can patch that hole with Krylon tape (sp?) and it will be good as new, bought an REI Quaterdome with a 6" rip and repaired it, also repaired sleeping bags and down jackets, holds up well when washed.
yeah i know, dry bones, but its seen quite a bit of wear and tear, i can still use it for sections, i dont think it will stand up to a thru hike.i figured id like to get a new one for my trip to maine in august so i can master setup and make sure im happy before i spend 5 months in it next year. i know what ive got with the ba and ive been happy with it.
im not sure the notch is an improvement over the flycreek, and the lightheart solo, i just dont know enough about yet.