PDA

View Full Version : Tent stakes

ams212001
06-14-2013, 14:44
I just purchased a SMD scout and I was wondering what tent stakes are recommended for the soil and terrain of the AT? Keeping in mind that they are both lightweight and affordable.

Thank you!

Old Hiker
06-14-2013, 15:59
Lots of different terrain. I have MSR groundhogs, but I also have some steel pegs with a triangle on top from decades ago I like. They are heavier and longer than the Groundhogs, so I use them here in FL in the sand.

Never had a problem with the Groundhogs in all the miles I've done on the AT over the years.

I'm looking for some 7-9" Ti stakes, though.

Bags4266
06-14-2013, 16:59
Try the msr needle stakes much lighter and more packable than the hogs. Never had a problem with holding strength either

Rain Man
06-15-2013, 09:39
... what tent stakes are recommended for the soil and terrain of the AT?

Small titanium stakes. That's what I finally settled on after trying various stakes over the years. Have yet to find a place I can't use them (even if I have to set them by laying a rock or limb on them) and they are both lightweight and small. Also, don't take excess. You can always find a rock, root, or limb near enough to make use of (in my experience).

I do carry one extra, an MSR "snow" stake, which doubles as my cat-hole digger, and can work in loose soil if I ever run into that situation (have yet to do so, though).

One hint: paint the stake tops with fluorescent orange or yellow, else you will eventually loose one or more. IMHO.

Rain:sunMan

Drybones
06-15-2013, 09:47
8" Easton aluminum, they're lightweight and easy to get out of the ground.

Slo-go'en
06-15-2013, 10:29
I like a sturdy aluminum stake because on occasion you need a rock to pound them into the ground. Typically that would be at a state or National Park campground. I got some free titanium stakes with my Trekker and decided they were too flimsy and stuck to my old stakes.

BTW, the idea to paint the ends fluorescent is a good one, which I've done to my stakes. I also count them as I pull them out of the ground and put them in a bag. And I carry an extra or two, just in case. My extra stakes are all ones I've found at campsites...

Rocket Jones
06-15-2013, 15:06
My tarptent came with the Easton aluminum and they work fine. I also bought some MSR Groundhogs. Usually I'll carry a mix of the two types because sometimes the needle stakes will go in where the Groundhogs won't. If the weather is calling for wind, I'll carry a couple extra stakes for extra tie down support. Like Rain Man, I also carry an extra snow stake/cathole digger.

ams212001
06-15-2013, 19:45
Thank you everyone!

ChinMusic
06-15-2013, 20:13
I don't know your tent. Most tents have "key" points and auxiliary points

For my Lightheart Solo I have two key stakes that must hold. The other stakes don't have as much stress. So, I carry at least two Groundhogs with the rest being lighter Ti stakes.

All your stakes don't have to be the same. Just have stronger ones for those key points.

Swordpen
06-19-2013, 23:35
Chin,

In your opinion, what are the 2 "key (staking) points" of the Lightheart Solo? I ask, as I have the same tent, but you have a lot more experience with it.

Thanks!

q-tip
06-20-2013, 09:28
I use Easton, GG has a good deal on titanium---http://gossamergear.com/shelters/shelter-accessories.html

ChinMusic
06-20-2013, 11:09
Chin,

In your opinion, what are the 2 "key (staking) points" of the Lightheart Solo? I ask, as I have the same tent, but you have a lot more experience with it.

Thanks!
The head and the toe stake must have strong bite. In bad weather the middle fly stakes too. The others are just for minor pitch tension.

HooKooDooKu
06-20-2013, 12:06
The Titanium stakes available at places such as gossamergear.com and lawsoneuipment.com are 6.5" long and weigh 6g to 6.5g each.

The MSR Ground Hog is 7" long and weighs 20g each.

I like the profile of the Hog, and the light weight of the Titanium, so I went with a middle ground:
The MSR Mini-Ground Hog is 6" long and weighs 10g each.

I was afraid the short length might cause problems, but I've so far not had ANY issues using these in GSMNP and Alabama's Sipsey Wilderness.

My only complaint about the mini-hog is that the profile of the head is so small, it can hurt you fingers pushing it into the ground. Though usually, a stick or rock between the stake and your finger can be easily used to correct that problem.