PDA

View Full Version : Rain jacket failed. Need recommendations for a new one

Cozy
06-14-2013, 19:39
I purchased a Columbia Omni-Tech Waterproof breathable rain jacket for my thru hike. While I was in a couple of torrential downpours, the water seeped completely through the jacket so much that the jacket's sleeves were sticking to my arms! This was not my sweat but the rain soaking through the jacket. I would have been in a lot of trouble had I been hiking in freezing conditions, such as the ice storm we experienced in the Smokeys in March. I am sending the jacket back to the President of Columbia Gear regarding this.

With that said, I'd like to hear your recommendations for a rain jacket that is really waterproof on the outside so I can order it when I flip to Maine. Right now I am using a Coleman's vinyl poncho. Thanks everyone.

Lone Wolf
06-14-2013, 19:55
Frogg Toggs

BuckeyeBill
06-14-2013, 20:04
Frogg Toggs

+1 on the frogg toggs

atmilkman
06-14-2013, 20:17
Frogg Toggs

+1 on the frogg toggs

I've got some of these and really like them except I can only wear them when I'm gonna be limited on movement. I wish they made a tall size. My sleeve length is 38" and the frogg toggs ride halfway up my forearms with the slightest amount of activity. The pants are great, I use them.

moldy
06-14-2013, 21:04
No good answer here. In trail hiking conditions there is no such thing as a breathable rain jacket that you can stay dry in. Especially a driving rain storm. That means that your only other option is a plastic bag of some kind. Rubberized or plastic coated jackets will keep the rain out but won't keep you dry. What I do is go with the breathable rain jacket and try to avoid the driving rain storm. When all that fails I expect to get wet. The perfect rain coat like the perfect boot, does not exist. You can spend thousands in this quest and you might make some minor improvements but in the end you will still be wet.

johnnybgood
06-14-2013, 21:26
Agree 100% with moldy. If I use anything at all, it'll be a dollar store poncho. More freedom of movement which I like.

Theosus
06-14-2013, 23:35
I had the same problem with a Champion "waterproof" jacket. It failed an hour into a hike, leaving me wet for two days in rain around fifty degrees. It was very tough. I got an REI rain jacket and spent a day in the same rain. Very nice. I was a little clammy on the arms from arm sweat, but the jacket kept me dry otherwise. I got the Xxl tall, although xl tall would have been fine, so it will fit over winter layers.

A/B
06-15-2013, 20:05
Have you seen the "Packa"? This is what I use. Rain jacket and pack cover in one, it keeps all your straps dry, and easy on/off. Check it out; Eddie Hinnant at www.thepacka.com (http://www.thepacka.com). I talked to Eddie a couple of times, and he is great working with you. He uses different materials, including eVent. Lots of users and reviews out there.
http://www.thepacka.com/index_files/image009.gif

R1ma
06-15-2013, 21:07
Marmont Pica

EMS Thunderhead, or Deluge, or Storm Front. I forget which one in heaviest, I thing the Thunderhead is. All 3 have pit-zips. There are 2 EMS's in Portland.

fiddlehead
06-15-2013, 23:25
Yeah, I bought an expensive North Face Gore Tex jacket once, complete with pit zips, and all kinds of BS for over $300.
First time I wore it in the rain, it just came right through.
So, I switched to good old, cheap Frogg Toggs and figure they're the best at keeping you as dry as possible.
They breathe well (although won't push out enough if you're climbing a mtn, but Ok on level exertions)
And they keep out the rain.
And tons lighter too. (and on the wallet)

Now I have a set of Driducks and they seem very similar (and even cheaper).

The fancy stuff is for the yuppies who want to look like hikers. (same with those packs that have tons of pockets and straps hanging everywhere)

double d
06-15-2013, 23:49
NFace, $99 bucks at REI, comes with a hood and pit zips. Very good rain jacket, lightweight as well.

LIhikers
06-15-2013, 23:50
I've had good luck with the Marmot Precip rain jacket. It doesn't keep me dry during the warm weather as I sweat and get wet from the inside, but, it keeps out the rain so I don't get cold. For me hiking in the rain is to stay warm enough, not dry. Depending on air and rain temperature I might not even use rain gear.

q-tip
06-16-2013, 12:27
The truth is that they all fail. According to Andrew Skurka, and my experience with 6 jackets, none of consistently repel water. Part of that is due to "wetting out", your perspiration causing the jacket to let water through, and part of it is the nature of the materials. Ultimately, rain jackets in heavy rain are designed to keep you warm, not dry. In cold heavy rain, keep moving and have a full set of dry camp clothes ready when you end the day.

Double Wide
06-16-2013, 13:08
I like the Marmot Precip. Lightweight, and the pit zips make a huge difference vs. my Columbia rain jacket that doesn't have them.

srvand02
06-16-2013, 13:16
North Face Venture. Bought a second jacket (my first lasted 4 years til recent deterioration) for the AT. Always kept me dry.

Cookerhiker
06-16-2013, 21:44
The worst I ever used was a Sierra Designs. I had just bought it and hiked in a hard rain all day. The maps in the inside pocket were soaked.

I've found that Marmots are only effective in drizzle and also don't last very long. The most effective rain jacket I ever had was a Target Dry (http://www.targetdry.com/) that I had bought in Ireland in 2003. It finally started to fade so I bought a new one on my trip to Ireland this past April. It kept me dry very nicely in some downpours. Unfortunately, they neither sell nor ship to the US.

Lone Wolf
06-16-2013, 21:48
Yeah, I bought an expensive North Face Gore Tex jacket once, complete with pit zips, and all kinds of BS for over $300.
First time I wore it in the rain, it just came right through.
So, I switched to good old, cheap Frogg Toggs and figure they're the best at keeping you as dry as possible.
They breathe well (although won't push out enough if you're climbing a mtn, but Ok on level exertions)
And they keep out the rain.
And tons lighter too. (and on the wallet)

Now I have a set of Driducks and they seem very similar (and even cheaper).

The fancy stuff is for the yuppies who want to look like hikers. (same with those packs that have tons of pockets and straps hanging everywhere)

we're on the same page. but we only have 30,000 miles of walkin' between us :cool:

Shonryu
06-20-2013, 00:21
Driducks for me

daddytwosticks
06-20-2013, 07:19
This time of year, the only type of raingear that works for me...poncho. :)

Drybones
06-20-2013, 08:48
You're not the first person I've heard had problems with Columbia rain gear. I have a rain suit I bought at Academy, Jacket and pants were $19.95 each, I've used them in some very heavy downpours and never got wet. I have a Goretex jacket but carried the Academy jacket because it just fit better and was much lighter, great value and lightweight. I believe the jacket weighs around 11 oz and the pants 9.

Trail Bug
06-22-2013, 09:46
You may want to try this. I heard that it works.

1. Remove any loose or flaking waterproofing from the item, a stiff brush is good for that.
2. Get a cheap (disposable) spray bottle….Dollar Tree has them.
3. Add Thompson’s Water Seal to the bottle….No need to dilute the Water Seal.
4. Take the item outside along with the spray bottle, place the item on a hangar and hang from a clothes line or low tree branch, and spray the entire lining with Water Seal. Just enough to put a light coating onto the item. Make sure you get the seams well coated.
5. Let dry for at least 48 hours.
6. Run through your clothes dry set on Low Temp. for no more than ten minutes.

That should be it.

Wise Old Owl
06-22-2013, 10:15
Have you seen the "Packa"? This is what I use. Rain jacket and pack cover in one, it keeps all your straps dry, and easy on/off. Check it out; Eddie Hinnant at www.thepacka.com (http://www.thepacka.com). I talked to Eddie a couple of times, and he is great working with you. He uses different materials, including eVent. Lots of users and reviews out there.
http://www.thepacka.com/index_files/image009.gif

Its normally a sil nylon and right now its green not blue. Can be made in cuban fiber...

litefoot2000
06-22-2013, 11:14
Frogg Toggs

Yep, that's the ticket. But they may be way too inexpensive for some hikers.