PDA

View Full Version : walmart trekking poles

Tramp
06-14-2013, 22:53
So I went to walmart today and checked out the trekking poles. Here's what I found.
1 yes cheap like $ 14
2 did not flex much at all
3 putting weight on them thay started to slip down. Putting a lot of weight on them thay sliped all the way down.
4 rubber grip felt clammie just for the short time I held it.
I guess if you used them for a short hike on mostly flat ground thay might be ok for a short time. Or as a replacement till you can get to an outfitter to get a good pair .

Chair-man
06-14-2013, 23:02
3. putting weight on them thay started to slip down. Putting a lot of weight on them thay sliped all the way down.

Did you tighten them?

I own a pair of Wally poles (Outdoor Products) and never had a problem with them. They're spring loaded too. I love em.

Durtydan
06-14-2013, 23:21
I have an Alpine Design set that have springs and corklite and they were on sale for like 20$. I choose them over my Lekis a lot, love them

shelb
06-14-2013, 23:21
When I used Wally poles in the past, I had no problem with them - except I noticed that mine did not last like my friends' expensive poles. I was replacing them every 400 miles or so....

Last year, I borrowed a friend's set of Leki's at the last minute - wow...big difference! They were easier on the hands due to the grips, and easier walking due to lightness.

Tramp
06-14-2013, 23:35
Yes I tightend them but thay still sliped. Maybe I just picked a bad pole. Guess I need to go back and try another one.

rocketsocks
06-14-2013, 23:37
I have an Alpine Design set that have springs and corklite and they were on sale for like 20$. I choose them over my Lekis a lot, love them
This is what I have as well, so far only about 100 miles on them...so we'll see how they hold up....but they were cheap! got em at Sports Authority on a close out sale/managers special, as they were in pieces that I fit back together. I wanna say I paid about 12 bucks for the pair, but really can't remember.

Durtydan
06-14-2013, 23:53
rocketsocks, unless I happened to score a great pair, these things have held up with hundreds of miles on AT and have not flinched once. I'm usually pretty good with taking care of gear but wear and tear happens eventually. it will be a sad day when those babies finally break

Sailing_Faith
06-15-2013, 01:12
Mine have held up well. Bought a second pair after I left one in a car while hitching a ride back to a trailhead.

Lost no sleep over the loss... Now I have a pair of Leki's (gift)... Would not take loosing them as easily.