PDA

View Full Version : Barren Chairback Range

Goonky
06-15-2013, 07:44
Hey folks,

I'm looking at a slow, 3 day 2 night hike from Route 15 in Monson to the West Branch of the Pleasant River with my dog. He's a year old, well trained rescue mutt named Charlie and this is our first summer hiking together.

Will that section be doable for him? He's 50 pounds, LOVES to walk and LOVES the woods. He's a good jumper and has enjoyed the climbing we've done so far. I'd just like to avoid rebar if possible.

Any feedback welcome!

Goonky
06-15-2013, 07:45
Specifically it's the Barren ledges going up and Chairback going down that I would worry about.

And I mispoke, we'd be starting at Long Pond Stream.

rdljr
06-15-2013, 08:09
I remember one short "cliff" at a stream crossing that could be a issue but nothing else that a mid sized dog could not have gone up/over or around on thier own in that area last year.

Goonky
06-15-2013, 08:55
I remember one short "cliff" at a stream crossing that could be a issue but nothing else that a mid sized dog could not have gone up/over or around on thier own in that area last year.

Thanks, curious to hear other responses. I *can* lift him or assist him, but it's probably better for both of us if he can do it himself.

Right now, especially because he's so young and still training, I keep him leashed while hiking so he can learn trail manners. But I'm already learning there are times when it would be better to unhook and let him find his own way up and they leash him again at the top. He doesn't run away, he just explores and is super friendly. :)

Old Hillwalker
06-15-2013, 14:21
Thanks, curious to hear other responses. I *can* lift him or assist him, but it's probably better for both of us if he can do it himself.

Right now, especially because he's so young and still training, I keep him leashed while hiking so he can learn trail manners. But I'm already learning there are times when it would be better to unhook and let him find his own way up and they leash him again at the top. He doesn't run away, he just explores and is super friendly. :) I fully concur with the times off leash. I hike with a Lab/Pyrenees mix that weighs in over at 150. Even with a 25 foot extendable leash it is sometimes very dangerous having him on leash either going up, or especially down steep ledges where his momentum can pull me off my feet and down the rocks. I weigh in at 220, but he can pull me off my feet without much effort at all. As many of you know, here in New Hampshire and Maine we have lots of steep rocky parts of the trail. One particular spot of note is crossing Carlo Col in the Mahoosucs. WETSU