PDA

View Full Version : AT-Virginia--Trail Storm Damage

tawa
06-15-2013, 11:58
Just curious if the latest storm did much damage on/around the AT through state of Virginia?
Thanks for any and all information.

HikerMom58
06-15-2013, 12:11
Just curious if the latest storm did much damage on/around the AT through state of Virginia?
Thanks for any and all information.

Hey tawa... don't know how the trail fared through the storm. Lots of people lost power. I saw some trees down in the neighborhood... I'll let you know if I hear anything about the trail condition.

jimmyjam
06-15-2013, 17:57
I climbed around a couple of blowdowns just south of Waynesboro last week, near Humpback.

johnnybgood
06-15-2013, 19:31
I drove the Skyline Drive from Rockfish Gap north to Loft Mtn,saw no evidence of storm damage.Also got in an 11 mile hike while I was there and needed to butt scooch over one really big Oak , and another blow down that was an easy step over.I'd say the southern district got lucky.

GoldenBear
06-15-2013, 19:50
And saw no real damage to the Trail. A few trees were down, but none that blocked the trail for even 30 seconds. The water and mud on the Trail were not pleasant, but hardly unexpected.
Shenandoah NP is not reporting damage of any kind on their website.

Mitey Mo
06-15-2013, 20:27
My brother and I just did the twelve miles from Swift Run Gap to Booten's Gap today and saw no damage. Saw three bears, though! Beautiful day!

Deer Hunter
06-15-2013, 21:35
My brother and I just did the twelve miles from Swift Run Gap to Booten's Gap today and saw no damage. Saw three bears, though! Beautiful day!

Nice! Did you manage to get a picture?

HikerMom58
06-15-2013, 22:46

That's really cool! :) At first when you said you saw three bears, I thought you meant someone with the user name- three bears. It's getting late.:eek:

topshelf
06-16-2013, 09:54
I haven't seen any damage down this way (SWVA).

Southerner
06-16-2013, 14:28
I hiked a couple of sections north of Roanoke yesterday and this morning, and I only saw minimal blow-downs that would affect the trail. Even the one blow-down that was directly across the trail on Cove Mountain was easy to go around. I don't think the damage was anywhere close to the derecho levels of last June.

Mitey Mo
06-16-2013, 19:55
Deer Hunter - no pictures of the bears. We see each other about the same time and they are VERY quick to take off for safety