PDA

View Full Version : Smokeater908's stoves

Butterfly58
06-15-2013, 14:07
Has anyone tried any of these stoves? I ran across them when I was looking at Dutch ware for my hammock. They look really well made, although expensive. The one I like is called the Mini Heat Stove and weighs in at 14 grams. It has a fuel line that attaches to your fuel bottle so you don't have to take off your pot to add more fuel, or to figure out if you need to add fuel. I really like that feature. That's one of the things I thought was dangerous with my old soda can stove. Sometimes you can't tell if it's still burning or not. Here's the link: http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cottage-industries/smokeeater908/smokeeater908-store/

Toli
06-15-2013, 15:45
Has anyone tried any of these stoves? I ran across them when I was looking at Dutch ware for my hammock. They look really well made, although expensive. The one I like is called the Mini Heat Stove and weighs in at 14 grams. It has a fuel line that attaches to your fuel bottle so you don't have to take off your pot to add more fuel, or to figure out if you need to add fuel. I really like that feature. That's one of the things I thought was dangerous with my old soda can stove. Sometimes you can't tell if it's still burning or not. Here's the link: http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cottage-industries/smokeeater908/smokeeater908-store/
Robbie makes some awesome stoves... I have been using his "Rollover" stove (6 grams) for almost 3 years (500+ boils) without any problems... Check out his YouTube channel and watch him make a Mini Heat Stove from a single piece of aluminum stock... Lots of videos of him cooking with it too... My fav was the fried catfish he made for his twin girls... He is an awesome machinist...

Butterfly58
06-16-2013, 09:44
Yeah, I watched a few of his videos. Very impressive!!! His stuff looks so well made. That's what is drawing me to them. Just not sure I want to spend that much, so I'm still undecided. I was hoping someone that has the mini heat stove would respond about how useful it is. It's always helpful to hear from someone who has a piece a gear you're interested in!

zelph
06-17-2013, 10:57
That's one of the things I thought was dangerous with my old soda can stove. Sometimes you can't tell if it's still burning or not.

All alcohol stoves are hard to tell if they are burning on a bright sunny day. Smokeeaters will be the same. If you purchase one of his get one that you can dump 3/4 ounce of fuel into the burner. That way you don't have to keep feeling the top of the carbon felt to see when it's wet with fuel. If you don't keep feeling, it will over fill and leak out. It's the same thing with all remote feed alcohol stoves. I think there are 4-5 people out there that are making them. Like I said, get one big enough to dump in 3/4 ounce of fuel and if you need more squeeze some in. Remember that fuel will still be left in the tube so be careful to empty it or it will leak out when least expected.

Windscreens should be used on all stoves and completely surround the pot to conserve heat and protect the flame from blowing off to the side of the pot. How will you know when the remote feed stove needs more fuel if you have the windscreen around it?.................Remove the windscreen and take a look;) How many times will you have to do that especially with one of the very small stoves that are being made. Get one big enough to dump in at least 3/4 ounce of fuel. One ounce will for sure boil 2 cups of water.

zelph
06-21-2013, 11:00
Sure would like to see some comments from you folks out there on using your little remote feed stoves. Are you seeing them being used on the AT? Are students using them in their dorms? Where are these stoves being used? Preppers maybe????????

Butterfly58
06-22-2013, 08:46
So would I Zelph. Otherwise, I'll just use what I have. I was messing around trying out some new recipes with my old set-up and sure enough I had to stop and add more fuel. I just hate when that happens. That's why I love the idea of the remote feed. Just seems safer to me than pouring alcohol from my hand.

zelph
06-24-2013, 21:39
So would I Zelph. Otherwise, I'll just use what I have. I was messing around trying out some new recipes with my old set-up and sure enough I had to stop and add more fuel. I just hate when that happens. That's why I love the idea of the remote feed. Just seems safer to me than pouring alcohol from my hand.

Looks like you'll have to purchase one and find out how they work. good luck on a new adventure.:)

monkeyboy71
07-11-2013, 23:31
zelph,
I'm sure you're familiar with Tinny at minibulldesign. I've watched him make stoves on YouTube for some time .
Just curious what you think of his remote alcohol stoves. Do you have one ?
Buzz

zelph
07-12-2013, 21:16
zelph,
I'm sure you're familiar with Tinny at minibulldesign. I've watched him make stoves on YouTube for some time .
Just curious what you think of his remote alcohol stoves. Do you have one ?
Buzz

Yes, I have one. I purchased it on ebay 2 years ago and have not taken it out of the carrying container.:confused: Came with a Heineken pot. I got it just to see what they were all about and do a review. My first impression is the stove is to be used on a picnic table at eye level. Both Tinny and Smokeeater show the need to feel the carbon felt to know when the fuel has come to the top so you can light it. Some of their stoves are so small you have to pump fuel to them often. That means you have to be able to see the flames and that's difficult to do in bright light. It also means you have to have the windscreen partly open to watch the flame. A partly open windscreen means the flame is being blown off to one side of the pot bottom, not good for efficiency. Long about the time you give the stove another shot of fuel your pot of water comes to aboil. Now you have a stove filled with fuel and you've alrady boiled enough for your meal....how do you salvage the remaining fuel?

Buzz, do you have a remote fueled stove?

zelph
07-16-2013, 17:10
Anyone out there using remote fueled stoves?

Tuckahoe
07-29-2013, 00:10
I'm not an alcohol stove user, but I have watched Smokeater's videos and his developmentmof his Ring of Fire stove. This stove actually got me to take notice. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ec0Ki90hn4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Tuckahoe
07-29-2013, 00:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XVDwjsrUkI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Matt65
07-29-2013, 07:10
I'm not an alcohol stove user, but I have watched Smokeater's videos and his developmentmof his Ring of Fire stove. This stove actually got me to take notice. Thoughts?

He recently posted a video of how it's made. The amount of machining that goes into this piece, compared to it's price makes it a good value. Based on You Tube It seems to work very well. Personally I (some how) have resisted buying a stove of this style. I have not justified it over using my standard canister style stove. So for now, my alcohol stoves are the beer bottle can models like the MiniBIOS and BIOS4. If your interested in it, I'd say go for it. There are plenty out there that would buy a used stove if it's not for you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

zelph
07-29-2013, 22:27

I think you should buy one and do some testing and give us some test results. Ring of Fire stove has a familiar ring to it;) Even the hole thru it looks kinda familiar;)

Get one Tuckahoe64 in the name of stove science :D

nu2hike
07-30-2013, 00:55
I use one of Smokeeaters stove- the mini heat with a remote feed! Love it! Weighs next to nothing and more durable than the beer can and cat can stoves I've owned. I can bring two cups h2o to a boil in approx 5-6 min. . The remote feed works well and reduces the amount of fuel wasted.

winger
09-25-2013, 12:15
I also purchased the mini heat and its very well made and works well. I also purchased the collapsible pot stand that he sells.