PDA

View Full Version : New Trail Map Coming Out??

Mountain Dog
06-16-2013, 07:48
Anyone know when the Forest Service will publish their new maps. The old ones were pretty good but they were becoming out of date with the addition of some new sections and the addition of several shelters. But more, their section numbering system is different from the info the AHTS and Pinhoti Trail Alliance started using. The latter is good because the sections are shorter and go south to north, a seemingly standard trail convention. But the two different systems can cause confusion if two people are using different references. :confused: Anyone have an updated schedule??

blisterbob
06-16-2013, 18:28
Mountain Dog,
I have not had an update since the meeting this spring and at that time it was hoped they would be available this fall.
The mail order from Montgomery was the best prices for the old ones.
I will list the contact info here and on hikealabama.
Pinhoti Maps
Attn: Public Affairs Maps
National Forests in Alabama
2946 Chestnut St.
Montgomery, Al. 36107

The supervisors name is Steve Lohr 334-832-4470
He might have more current info and if not, just let him know we are waiting.

Mountain Dog
06-16-2013, 22:26
Thanks Blissterbob. I'll be playing in the North Ga Mountains for a week or so. I'll call when I get back. I have all the old maps and updates by Mr. P. The old maps sufficed unless you were a real stickler for accuracy. The actual trail could be off several hundred feet and the mileage was questionable. I'd heard several years ago that they were going to use SOLO's mileage for their new maps. I hope so. He seemed to be right on. Sure hope the section numbering system becomes standard.

Ewker
06-17-2013, 09:33
I called the Talladega National Forest Friday trying to reach the main ranger about the new maps but was unable to. I will try again today

Ewker
06-17-2013, 12:51
I got to talk to the Main ranger at the Talladega National Forest a few minutes ago. She said they are hoping for the new map (yes just one) to be ready this fall. They are redrafting/reviewing the map now. Lets hope it is ok and can go to the printers.

The new map will have sections 3-12 on it. You will be able to tear the map in half to use it. Some of the sections will be on one half of the map and the rest on the other half. who knows if that will change between now and then.

atmilkman
06-17-2013, 13:09
I got to talk to the Main ranger at the Talladega National Forest a few minutes ago. She said they are hoping for the new map (yes just one) to be ready this fall. They are redrafting/reviewing the map now. Lets hope it is ok and can go to the printers.

The new map will have sections 3-12 on it. You will be able to tear the map in half to use it. Some of the sections will be on one half of the map and the rest on the other half. who knows if that will change between now and then.

Hopefully. That's good news and sad news. Good that we may finally get that Map 6 and sad that we have to live with the old '97 maps 1-5.

atmilkman
06-17-2013, 13:14
Hopefully. That's good news and sad news. Good that we may finally get that Map 6 and sad that we have to live with the old '97 maps 1-5.

Just reread your post. Am I to understand there will not be a map 6 ( which is what I was told about 18mo. ago) and only one master map for the whole thing?

Ewker
06-17-2013, 13:22
that is what she said. One master map for the whole trail but you can tear the map into so each part of the map has 5 sections on it

Ewker
06-17-2013, 13:27
if someone can get in touch with the guy that blisterbob mentioned above we can see what he says and if it matches what I posted

Ewker
06-18-2013, 10:45
has anyone tried calling the guy that blisterbob mentioned?

blisterbob
06-18-2013, 12:29
has anyone tried calling the guy that blisterbob mentioned?
I tried the # just now and no answer, no voice mail, maybe out to lunch or an outdated #.

Tipi Walter
06-18-2013, 12:45
On my last Cohutta trip I used the Nat G 781 map showing the BMT going south thru the Cohut. Funny thing is, the map had no markings for the Pinhoti leaving the BMT at its northern terminus and heading south to Buddy Cove Gap and beyond. So, I had to draw in the link with a pen from a difficult-to-read set of Pinhoti-dedicated trail maps. If the boys could just integrate it on the Nat G map then the wilderness backpackers and the BMT BPers and the Pinhoti BPers will be happy.

And what's really weird is that 781 has a blue marked trail numbered 135 which follows Crenshaw Branch heading north to Buddy Cove Gap and I assume is part of the Georgia Pinhoti and yet this trail is not even listed on the Nat G Trails List on the map. Strange. And like I said, the Pinhoti from the northern end going south to Buddy Cove Gap is totally missing.

Ewker
06-20-2013, 00:13
I tried the # just now and no answer, no voice mail, maybe out to lunch or an outdated #.

Bob, if I get a chance I will try calling tomorrow

Ewker
06-20-2013, 11:57
I called the number for the National Forest in Bob's post but the lady couldn't tell me anything. She says she as no idea when they will be coming out. She did say they were reviewing them. Looks like we will have to call back later on to find out what is happening.

atmilkman
06-20-2013, 17:03
I called the number for the National Forest in Bob's post but the lady couldn't tell me anything. She says she as no idea when they will be coming out. She did say they were reviewing them. Looks like we will have to call back later on to find out what is happening.

Back in Oct. 2011 is when I first heard of the plans of a map 6. This was from one of the USFS Rangers. I was told that they had been talking about it for a long time before that. But was reminded that this is the Feds and you know how fast they move. This was also before the Pinhoti was completely on trail in the woods on National Forest land. Now there is no more road walks on Federal land. The completion of the trail from 603A (Rebecca Mountain) to Bull Gap accomplished this. They were really happy about this and that they could now make this proclamation. So, maybe, just maybe, the new map is in the not so distant future. The completion of that section of the trail was the big hold-up.

marti038
06-21-2013, 08:27

Thanks for taking the time call them and to update us.

Mountain Dog
06-24-2013, 20:13
I'm Back up. Thanks to all of you for trying to get info about when a new map will be issued. Does not look to me like one large map will be as good as several large maps. Perhaps they will at least add lat/long lines.