PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Usage In The High Sierras?

Lone_Star
06-16-2013, 13:13
I am planning to hike the entire JMT next month (July) SOBO. I am wondering how long a 4 oz or 8 oz butane canister will last? I only plan to boil 2 cups of water in the morning and 2 more cups again in the evening. I have been told that boil times take longer at high altitudes and when conditions are cold/windy, so I'm unsure of how many days I will get out of a single canister (based on the usage I mentioned). Hence, I am not sure of how many canisters to plan on. Can anyone help out?

wcgornto
06-16-2013, 13:42
Me too. June 30 - July 14.

I plan to use one 8oz canister from Yosemite Valley to MTR and another from MTR to Mount Whitney. It's probably overkill, as I only boil water for dinner, and occasionally a second boil for tea. If I was at AT altitude, I would just take 4oz canisters. With the high altitude and remoteness, I am opting to carry the additional 4oz.

Dogwood
06-16-2013, 15:26
Lots of factors influencing iso fuel usage but I typically get about 15 - 20 or so boils out of a 4 oz Snow Peak Gold can in the Sierras boiling about 2 cps H2O at a time.

Lone_Star
06-17-2013, 01:10
OK, that's good to know. I was conservatively estimating 10-12 boils per can, but that was just a wild guess.

DaFireMedic
06-17-2013, 02:12
OK, that's good to know. I was conservatively estimating 10-12 boils per can, but that was just a wild guess.

It depends what stove you are using, but 10-12 boils should be about right. It seems to be what most are getting with a 3.5 oz canister with a normal canister stove (although they vary in efficiency). You can figure almost double that with a JetBoil.

Dogwood
06-17-2013, 14:12
Lone Star, that's a good canister use set up wcgornto has going to be a little more on the safe side unless you don't mind eating cold or building a small cooking fire if you run out of fuel. My estimate may not be what you will experience when you cook. DaFireMedic's quoted canister use is more in line with what's typical. For instance, sometimes I don't bring my water to a complete roiling boil.

Lone_Star
06-17-2013, 22:08
@Dogwood & Wcgornto, I think I will carry a 4 oz canister out of Yosemite Valley and resupply with 4 oz cans (as needed) along the way, then carrying one 8oz or two 4oz cans for the long haul from MTR to Whitney. If I run out, I don't mind eating cold. I don't build fires on the trail. @DaFireMedic, appreciate the info! I don't have a JetBoil, just a Brunton burner. I usually use my Trangia alcohol stove here in flatland Texas, but I'd rather go with a pressurized butane system in the High Sierras for the extra BTUs and faster boil times.

q-tip
06-18-2013, 11:16
You might look at the Olicamp Pot. Saves 40% fuel due to heat exchanger. I did the test myself. For a little weight penalty, for me worth it...

Lone_Star
06-18-2013, 12:26
You might look at the Olicamp Pot. Saves 40% fuel due to heat exchanger. I did the test myself. For a little weight penalty, for me worth it...Great suggestion! Thanks!