PDA

View Full Version : Hiking solo on the AT?

horicon
06-16-2013, 14:18
Need some input about hiking the AT solo? Is it a good idea.

Malto
06-16-2013, 14:24
Only you can answer this question. Even people that hike solo are usually around people or hike off and on with others. I can think of no reason it isn't a good idea.

max patch
06-16-2013, 14:27
I hiked "solo" on my thru and their were only 2 days that I didn't see another hiker.

I prefer to hike solo.

Others prefer to part of a group.

If you are thinking about the safety aspect, even if you hike alone you will see plenty of other hikers if you should happen to get into trouble on trail.

Slo-go'en
06-16-2013, 15:33
Hiking solo allows you to set your own pace and agenda. Many, if not most AT hikers start "solo" but soon become part of a loose knit group. Some times members of the group hike together, but typically everyone hikes at thier own pace and only meet up during breaks or at a campsite/shelter at the end of the day.

A minority of thru-hikers will start out with a partner, typically a significant other or close friend. Some times this works out, some times not.

Bearhawk
06-16-2013, 18:28
I hiked "solo" on my thru and their were only 2 days that I didn't see another hiker.

I prefer to hike solo.

If you are thinking about the safety aspect, even if you hike alone you will see plenty of other hikers if you should happen to get into trouble on trail.
Even if you start out hiking "solo" you soon will end up hiking or keeping pace with other hikers. All of you will keep your own pace but meet up at the shelters at break time or at the end of he day. The groups will change over the course of your hike. You may want to hike faster (or slower) than your present company or take a zero day when the rest of your group wants to continue-so then shortly a new alliance begins to form. You will meet a lot of people on the trail and rarely hike a long distance "alone"
Also I use the term group loosely-could be a single individual or a group of 8.

Shae
06-16-2013, 19:10
Ditto. My daughter started solo SOBO last year, met 2 guys on top of Katahdin that she clicked with and then a third in Monson. She hiked with them thru Maine and NH but they split up in VT because of injuries and illness. However, more than 1000 miles later they were back together as a group and finished on Springer together. The trail has a way of working things out.

jeffmeh
06-16-2013, 19:31
Yes, unless you start before the pack and hike faster, or start after the pack and hike slower, you should have not want of company.

topshelf
06-16-2013, 19:50
go alone, make friends! its so hard to hike with a partner.

Grinder
06-17-2013, 08:05
I've been doing it for 7 years now.
Each year, I end up with some people who are there for a week or more (usually that's a good thing . Also, the fast hikers who pass me by, seem to show up over and over again further down the trail.
It's hard to really be "alone" on the trail.

Grampie
06-17-2013, 10:00
When I thru-hiked at 65 years old I, and also my wife, had some consernes for me hiking alone. I started out as a solo hiker. I soon discovered that there were plenty of others doing the same thing as me. i met plenty of folks to hike with, if I choose to do so. Most of the time I hiked alone. I good part of the time I hiked with others that I had met. It's a choice that you can make once you start.

DavidNH
06-17-2013, 11:54
its a great idea. hike solo.. go at your own pace.. hike with who you want.. let'em go when you've had enough of their company.

q-tip
06-18-2013, 11:19
One of the main reasons I hike and travel alone is that I meet people I would never meet if I was with a partner, not that I have a problem with people. This worked well on my Aug-Nov hike Springer to Harpers. Really well on my trip to India.

kidchill
06-18-2013, 16:24
Yah, a lot of people freak out when I say I solo'd the AT, but for me, it was the only way to go. If you're in a group you can only go as fast as the slowest person. There's so much variability between hikers...time going to sleep, wake-up time, hiking pace, food/water needs (breaks), rest breaks, efficiency of resupply, and zero day wants/needs. There's plenty of people out there to buddy up with. I did the trail at my own pace, and I knew I would do that from the start, so I was okay being alone. I tended to hike fast and do longer days, but loved to take my zeros and party in town.

Dogwood
06-18-2013, 19:36
Need some input about buying a blue colored pick up truck. Is it a good idea?:-?

Slo-go'en
06-18-2013, 20:04
Need some input about buying a blue colored pick up truck. Is it a good idea?:-?

That's okay, you don't want to buy a rust colored one :)

Tractor
06-18-2013, 20:33
I would consider the blue pickup and hiking solo or a red pickup and hiking with a friend,

Tractor
06-18-2013, 20:44
I've headed out solo for about 700 miles of section hikes solo. Like mentioned above, I don't think I was actually alone more than a couple of days ever. Heck. Even when "hiking with others" we might be out of site for hours a day but knew the plan......

Drybones
06-18-2013, 20:53
Need some input about hiking the AT solo? Is it a good idea.

The apprehension will last only a couple of days. You'll have as much company as you want. I normally enjoy hiking by myself and stopping by the shelters to chew the fat in the evenings and then pitch my tent where I'm alone again.

robin31
10-24-2013, 21:24
Im going solo. Not worried. Im sure Ill find my hiking family.

Last Call
10-24-2013, 21:30
The only times I've hiked with groups it always turned into a competition....I prefer solo.

aficion
10-24-2013, 21:35
Hiking solo on the AT is a worthy goal. You really have to work at it, but it is worth the effort. I see people on my sections, and sometimes they see me. But not for long. To each its own.

Zipper
10-24-2013, 22:00
I hiked most of my hike solo and loved it! I liked hiking at my own pace and stopping when I wanted to stop. That said, I was rarely alone at night because as others have said, people tend to clump up at shelters and camping spots and near water. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the trail community - I didn't anticipate that! I made bunches of friends who I am still in touch with regularly, nearly five years later. You can certainly hike solo, and if you want company or find people you click with, you can easily switch to hiking with a group along the way.

Best wishes to you and the class of 2014!
Zipper
VA-ME VA-GA 09

WILLIAM HAYES
10-25-2013, 20:06
if you solo you will never be alone for long on the AT

MuddyWaters
10-25-2013, 22:11
Solo is good. Solo is actually the norm.

Even if you hike with others. you hike solo much of the time, and just meet up at breaks, and the end of the day.

People just dont walk the exact same pace, or go to bathroom at same time, or enjoy staring at someone elses backside for 10 hr per day.

lush242000
10-25-2013, 23:27
Solo is the way to go. Unless. You are with family.

Sent from somewhere.

bobtomaskovic
10-25-2013, 23:55
Definitely. Solo is the way to go.

msupple
10-26-2013, 09:41
Solo is good. Solo is actually the norm.

Even if you hike with others. you hike solo much of the time, and just meet up at breaks, and the end of the day.

People just dont walk the exact same pace, or go to bathroom at same time, or enjoy staring at someone elses backside for 10 hr per day.
I partnered up with a young woman from Colorado one day on my hike and I'm here to tell you the last part of your statement is not always true. In fact it was one of my most cherished days. :) Cat in the Hat

LAF
12-29-2013, 19:35
personally I prefer to hike solo, no one dependent upon me and I'm not dependent upon anyone. It is nice to make friends along the way though, which happens naturally. and what's to be afraid of? it's safer than walking across the street in NYC, or just walking down the street for that matter :)

QiWiz
12-30-2013, 12:49

I prefer to hike solo.

+1

You will soon find/meet lots of other hikers who are hiking faster, slower, or about the same speed as you. The ones who hike at about your pace can become great friends if the chemistry is right, or not.

RED-DOG
12-30-2013, 14:17
you are not Truly alone on the AT seems like their is always some one at the next shelter or water source or just taking a break on the side of the trail, the only time you will be truly alone is when you are hiking or camping, I did both my 06 and 2012 NOBO's solo, SOLO is the only way i would hike the AT, you see more wild life, especially if you don't hike with poles like i do.

fiddlehead
12-30-2013, 14:26
It will most likely take you a few hours to find someone that hikes your pace.
Maybe a week to find someone who likes to take breaks at the same consistency as you.
Maybe another week or two with someone you enjoy being around.
Many people will probably prefer to camp in the kind of places you do (by a stream, top of a mountain, stealth camp in a well hidden area, or right ON the trail)
Some might like the same kind of music as you, or the same politics, or the same types of bars.

But it will take a few thru-hikes before you find someone who will fit ALL OF THE ABOVE.

Hike alone and enjoy the search for that perfect hiking partner.

Trance
12-30-2013, 14:32
I dont want to sound mean.... but every day you walk out your front door, there is a chance for disaster to strike.

WHy is it any different if you go hiking? In my experience on the AT... the kindness of random strangers, meeting amazing people.... there is real community on the AT... and hikers look out for each other. I brought a knife and a can of bear mace.... but never once did I feel the need to use either.

George
01-01-2014, 22:29
I usually try to hike with as many different groups/ individuals as possible - to hear the variety of stories/ experiences /styles - I find that after about 2 days, you have most of it - the bigger the group, the less you will get to know the individuals (vs time )

rainmaker
01-01-2014, 22:50
The only way to enjoy your hike is to hike your own hike and the only way to hike your own hike is to hike solo, to the extent that is possible. There is just to much potential for drama in groups.

RF_ace
01-02-2014, 09:43
the best way to do it, nothing will bother you, and you can run on your schedule

snail2010
01-15-2014, 16:45
The best way!

Siarl
01-16-2014, 05:36
LOL...about the blue colored pick up truck....you are the one that will be doing the driving so only you will know the answer to that question. As to the color...what? Did they run out of the green ones?;)

Trance
01-16-2014, 13:41
Make sure you bring a gun and atleast 100 rounds.

It's like the Wild West out there on the A.T.

>sarcasm off<

takethisbread
01-17-2014, 12:16
in all seriousness , hike your own hike is important in regards to respecting others , but it's also important to hike at your own pace listen to your own body and enjoy as you want. trying to hike by a group agenda, very difficult
going too fast, it stopping in town long enough, hiking too slow ect can end your hike. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiking4Wellness
01-20-2014, 23:19
I like hearing everyone's thoughts. I plan to start the hike at Springer with a few friends on March 1. They all have to get back to work, so it will be just me. I'm sure many days I'll hike alone. It's good to read about the community of hikers, so there will be people when and if I need them.

George
01-21-2014, 04:58
Make sure you bring a gun and atleast 100 rounds.

It's like the Wild West out there on the A.T.

>sarcasm off<

only a 100?

you must be a day hiker