PDA

View Full Version : Ok guys I have narrowed my list of bags plz help (buying this weekend)

sherbi5
07-22-2005, 18:59
I have decided for the mount of backpacking i do that I want a quality bag at a cheaper price. If any have other suggestions plz say them. The phantom 45 that I was looking at before is not cheap and will not supply me with the three season use I will be looking for. I am now looking for a cheap reliable 25-35 degree bag. I know very little about the quality of 75-125 dollar range bag, but that is my target range. I also want a bag no heavier then 2 and half pounds Here are my choices so far:

kelty 25.........I have no clue about this need to do some research but i guess people say its good.

My top choice mostly because i tried it out at a local outfitter is the north face equinox. http://www.mountainsports.com/mssearch.asp?Option=Detail&Detail=099930

When making suggestions please keep in mind I am very budget minded and will not go above 125 dollars no matter how durable and long lasting a bag may be.

Sly
07-22-2005, 19:46
In my opinion the Campmor 20* down bag is the best three season bag for the money. Come spring and fall in the mountains, you'll need the extra warmth on many occasions. In summer it's easy enough to use as a throw.

In your price range, have a look...

Campmor 20* down (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=86896&memberId=12500226)

Lone Wolf
07-22-2005, 19:53
I agree with ole Sly. I bought the Campmor 20deg. bag this past spring. lotsa bang for the buck. My first down bag ever. Get it.

sherbi5
07-22-2005, 20:09
wow thx guys I did not even know that existed. I will def add that to my list. That better then the light year? Is campmor.com the only place u can buy that bag?

Sly
07-22-2005, 20:27
I agree with ole Sly.

Did you have to mention the "ole" part? Love yeah little brother!

Lilred
07-22-2005, 21:22
I agree with ole Sly. I bought the Campmor 20deg. bag this past spring. lotsa bang for the buck. My first down bag ever. Get it.

I have this bag as well. It kept me warm at Muskrat Creek Shelter when my washrag froze solid as a rock. Great bag for the money. I second Wolf's recommendation, get it.

Sly
07-22-2005, 21:46
Great bag for the money. I second Wolf's recommendation, get it.

You second whose opinion? ;)

Rain Man
07-23-2005, 11:00
I have decided for the mount of backpacking i do that I want a quality bag at a cheaper price. If any have other suggestions plz say them. ...
When making suggestions please keep in mind I am very budget minded and will not go above 125 dollars no matter how durable and long lasting a bag may be.

I have come to believe that people put way too much stock in finding THE right pieces of gear. Is gear generally important? Sure. But will this piece of gear or that piece of gear alone make or break your hike? I do not believe so.

So, my suggestion is to do your research, but not let it give you more angst than gear deserves. Remember the gear Earl Shaffer took with him.

Rain:sunMan

sherbi5
07-23-2005, 14:14
Thx guys I have decided to go to sports authority and if nothing is there I will purchase the campmor bag. Rain man I see where your coming from, but I like to get the best bang for my buck. Its not all about gear, but why pay 200 when you can get something for 100 and its better comfort?

justusryans
07-23-2005, 17:50
Not trying to tell anyone what to do. Is far as equipment goes I buy the best I can afford. Not necessarily the most expensive. I've found it is cheaper in the long run. There are many inexpensive bargains out there, but if it fails on you in a critical situation then was it a bargain? Many people on a limited budget make their own quality gear for pennies on the dollar. That being said, It doesn't do any good to buy the greatest, most top of the line gear out there and not take care of it. I see people all the time abusing good gear then wondering why their gear failed. Any decent gear from a reputable manufacturer should be fine.

sherbi5
07-26-2005, 19:22
HI ALL

I just got my campmor reg length in the mail and I was wondering is it long enough. I am 5 9 and can touch the bottom of the bag if i piont my toes a little forward. Is this a good length?

SGT Rock
07-26-2005, 19:23
HI ALL

I just got my campmor reg length in the mail and I was wondering is it long enough. I am 5 9 and can touch the bottom of the bag if i piont my toes a little forward. Is this a good length?
Sounds fine. Don't worry about that, there are enough other things to worry about ;)

sherbi5
07-27-2005, 02:02
ok i promise last question.......... or 2do i need to spray anything on it to make it more water resistant

also i jsut purchased leather boots with a gortex lining from ecco but the serice people don't know what they are talkking about. What do I need to put on them to make them last if anything and do I have to put it on them now? There the ecco interceptors

hikerjohnd
07-27-2005, 18:01
I love both of my Kelty bags (I have a 25 and a 45). I'm a big guy and I find them warm, roomy, and still lightweight. The price was right for each of them (I watched sales and paid $98 and $76 respectively including shipping).

CynJ
10-21-2005, 09:02
In my opinion the Campmor 20* down bag is the best three season bag for the money. Come spring and fall in the mountains, you'll need the extra warmth on many occasions. In summer it's easy enough to use as a throw.

In your price range, have a look...

Campmor 20* down (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=86896&memberId=12500226)
Is this a roomy enough bag for a plus sized person?

gsingjane
10-21-2005, 20:34
We have a Kelty 20 degree bag but have not found it is quite that warm. We use a liner in it in the winter if we have to take that one.

Jane in CT