PDA

View Full Version : Ideal finishing date

ChinMusic
06-16-2013, 22:09
I've seen a lot of threads concerning starting dates. I don't recall one on finishing dates.

I am currently on a thru (near Palmerton, PA) and am very flexible with regards to schedule. I'd like to slow down from my current pace and would like to read about what others think would be good timing going forward.

TIA

Slo-go'en
06-16-2013, 22:12
Ideally, you want to end during the peak of the fall colors, which is late September or early October. You'll need to take a month or so off to do that :)

hikerboy57
06-16-2013, 22:19
id shoot for august 27th.
its supposed to be sunny.

id agree end of september.

ChinMusic
06-16-2013, 22:20
Ideally, you want to end during the peak of the fall colors, which is late September or early October. You'll need to take a month or so off to do that :)
Just did the math. I'd have to drop my pace to under 10/day. Dang. I smell a few zeros and ball games. Lol

Slo-go'en
06-16-2013, 22:24
Just did the math. I'd have to drop my pace to under 10/day. Dang. I smell a few zeros and ball games. Lol

Continue on your current pace until you get to Vermont. Then go home for awhile, rest up and eat a lot. Then come back and finish New England refreashed instead of worn out and just wanting to get it the heck over with.

canoe
06-16-2013, 23:39
Chin Ive been following your journal. You have been hiking a great hike. Looks like you are way ahead of the game. You can slow down and smell the rosed

RED-DOG
06-17-2013, 07:46
No i would not slow down, keep the same pace and shoot for the first week in August, last year on my 2012 thru i was at DWG on Memorial weekend and i finished on Katahdan July 4th, but no i would not slow down.

moldy
06-17-2013, 08:44
Why tempt mother nature. The Spring snowstorms, the sickness, now the rain in the NE, the worst mosquito conditions in 50 years could be just around the corner not to mention that New England could get smashed by a series of Hurricanes in September. With this years events it is not a good idea slow down too much. My advice is to keep your butt moving, It ain't over till the fat lady sings.

mrcoffeect
06-17-2013, 08:48
there are a ton of beautiful places coming up where you can zero in the woods to slow your pace. And be close enough to town to pack out the fixins to do a little grillin. if time and money are not an issue i would slow down a bit. imho backpacking in new england in the fall is worth waiting for.

fredmugs
06-17-2013, 09:19
Why tempt mother nature. The Spring snowstorms, the sickness, now the rain in the NE, the worst mosquito conditions in 50 years could be just around the corner not to mention that New England could get smashed by a series of Hurricanes in September. With this years events it is not a good idea slow down too much. My advice is to keep your butt moving, It ain't over till the fat lady sings.

+1. I've followed too many hiker journals of people who were cruising along until they hit the whites and had to shut it down. I would keep going at your normal pace at least until you get there and then re-evaluate your options.

Praha4
06-17-2013, 10:21
best time to hike New England is Sept-October. At your current pace you'll likely be finishing in August. If I were you, I would keep at current pace to get thru NJ, NY, CT and MA..... then slow down a bit and enjoy VT, NH and ME. Manchester Center, VT is a good place to take a zero or two. You could spend a couple days off the trail in NY City and see a Yankees or Mets game. But like another said, September can also bring Tropical storms to New England. Have a great hike, I've also watched ur trail journal, just missed you back in VA around Daleville and Glasgow, I was on a section hike up there, was one day behind you at Thunder Ridge shelter.

imscotty
06-17-2013, 10:41
Another thing you could consider is completing the Long Trail while you are in VT. That should add two weeks to your hike.

Tennessee Viking
06-17-2013, 11:39
Baxter Campgrounds usually close mid October. About that time, the summit trail will only be open on good weather days. Keep going your pace.

fredmugs
06-17-2013, 13:04
Another thing you could consider is completing the Long Trail while you are in VT. That should add two weeks to your hike.

Great idea! Plus if you're a lover of great beer you should be able to get some Heady Topper, Lawsons Double Sunshine, anything produced by Hill Farmstead, and hit up the Long Trail brewery.

Lone Wolf
06-17-2013, 13:07
I've seen a lot of threads concerning starting dates. I don't recall one on finishing dates.

I am currently on a thru (near Palmerton, PA) and am very flexible with regards to schedule. I'd like to slow down from my current pace and would like to read about what others think would be good timing going forward.

TIAmid-september

imscotty
06-17-2013, 13:54
Great idea! Plus if you're a lover of great beer you should be able to get some Heady Topper, Lawsons Double Sunshine, anything produced by Hill Farmstead, and hit up the Long Trail brewery.

Then again, he might never make it out of Vermont if he try's those beers.

Driver8
06-17-2013, 14:19

TIA

I'd say go at the pace that pleases you. I read in your journal that you've been keeping up with some speedsters, so it seems reasonable to moderate.

If you slow a bit, take some zeros - NYC, as mentioned, lots of culture in the Berkshires (Norman Rockwell museum, Tanglewood for concerts, Jacob's Pillow dance company), side trips to Connecticut (we have great pizza and seafood and good theater and beaches) or even Cape Cod if you like, Boston, the side hike of the Long Trail - you can find yourself finishing in mid-Sept, which seems to be peak finishing time, and you'll get the early fall foliage in Maine as well as some cold nights.

DavidNH
06-17-2013, 15:37
plan, if at all possible.. to finish atop Katahdin during final week of September. October gets real dicey real fast. On the mountain there could be snow even before Columbus Day. I think some extra zero days and a slow pace are excellent ideas.

For the life of me I don't see why so many whisk through the 100 mile wilderness in 5 days or so. take your time. 10 days at least. It's the most beautiful section of the AT bar none. Enjoy yourself! go swimming.

David

Lone Wolf
06-17-2013, 15:44
For the life of me I don't see why so many whisk through the 100 mile wilderness in 5 days or so.

Davidbecause in reality most thru-hikers just wanna be done. the novelty of backpacking has worn off

fiddlehead
06-17-2013, 15:46
I never finished a thru-hike before Oct.
A little flirting with snow is a good thing IMO.
Shorter days make for eating by headlamp.
On a NOBO AT hike, the colors don't really get good up there until Oct.
It's all good.
Enjoy the rest of your hike Chin Music.
You'll be more sad than happy when it's over.

Slo-go'en
06-17-2013, 20:35
On a NOBO AT hike, the colors don't really get good up there until Oct.

Oh I don't know about that. Late September is typcially the peak for central Maine. One good rain storm the first week of October and it can be all over.
This photo was from about the 3d week of September last year, I belive looking towards Andover. I try to do a hike in Maine during the four best days of fall - when the color is at peak and clear skies for a few days.

Jack Tarlin
06-17-2013, 21:12
15-28 September is a great time to finish. And I think the suggestion of doing the whole Long Trail is a great idea since you have the time. I'd hike to Killington or the Inn at Long Trail, then get a ride upto the border, and hike South back to the Inn before continuing on the AT. What a great way to kill two "extra" weeks!

T.S.Kobzol
06-17-2013, 21:43
That would be a date with a happy ending.

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2

Driver8
06-17-2013, 21:50
because in reality most thru-hikers just wanna be done. the novelty of backpacking has worn off

That, and they don't want to carry 9 or 10 days' food on their back.

fiddlehead
06-17-2013, 22:19
Ok, I'm sure some years it's earlier than others.
This one (above) was taken on Oct 14, 2001.

Here's one taken on Rainbow Ledges (near the north end of the 100 mile wilderness) from Oct 7, 1995:
(sorry it's a scanned pic so, not as clear. Who would know in '95 that digital cameras would get so good)

ryan850
06-18-2013, 11:57

I agree with imscotty! I was homesick for the AT after my '11 thru-hike, so went back to do the long trail in April '12. If you're loving life on the trail and enjoy your pace, extend it, rather than slow it down.