PDA

View Full Version : Hiking for a Cause? Any info on this?

Trail Dog
07-22-2005, 20:04
I know it’s been done pleanty of times but how successful has it actually been?

Does anyone have any experience with a cause based hike? And how does it actually work?

Sly
07-22-2005, 20:21
I wouldn't think it works any better, probably less, than taking 6 months to a year (including the planning period) and organizing an event with more people involved, closer to home. To me, charity hikes, really have nothing to do with the solo experience of a thru-hike and are a separate cause.

Lone Wolf
07-22-2005, 20:30
Met a broad 15 years ago down around Hot Springs. She was "hiking" for alzheimers disease. Her daddy was afflicted. I pledged $100 bucks. Long story short she hitched, screwed and lied her way to Katahdin. Walked maybe 1000 miles of 2100. I got a form letter in the mail from her saying she completed the hike and gave me an address to send the check to. No check was sent by me. The AT is a recreational walking trail. It is actually against the law to raise money in national parks.

Nean
07-22-2005, 22:32
I met Dreamer and Windwalker on my 1st walk; they were raising money for cancer. Dreamers wife had developed brain cancer soon after they were married and didn't last long. He and his friend hiked in her honor and it was a honor to hike some with them. Great times, great guys, heck I was inspired. So I did a few walks for Hospice, and really enjoyed it. Some folks raise money for a cause but then you learn its less the cost of thier trip. Thats good work if you can get it but not my style. I spent 2 weeks before each trip going business to business and hung at the grocery store in the evenings signing folks up for a penny per mile. Spent only my money and every penny raised went directly to the small local Hospice. I'd drop them a post card in towns and do an interveiw when I got back. It was a great experience, I learned much and I felt good about it. Its hard for me to feel proud about being able to walk, but helping those folks out did. Of course now that I know that it is against the law- I'll be turning myself in ;)

Sly
07-22-2005, 22:44
Of course now that I know that it is against the law- I'll be turning myself in

Forget it, you're forgiven, the jails are loaded with potheads. We wouldn't want you to pick up any other illegal habits. ;)

fiddlehead
07-22-2005, 23:21
you may have better luck getting free gear from companies if you are hiking for a charity vs just for fun. it seems they would rather give gear to folks who are doing if for a cause other than their own.
i think a lot also depends on how good you are at writing the requesting letter and whether you are male or female, minority or majority, and things like that.
in other words, if you are a blind, deaf and dumb, cuban, woman, with one leg, hiking for cancer research, you may get some free gear. but if you are a 25 yr. old white male hiking to "find yourself" you may not get much more than a "no thanks" letter in return. good luck.

Trail Dog
07-23-2005, 07:47
you may have better luck getting free gear from companies if you are hiking for a charity vs just for fun. it seems they would rather give gear to folks who are doing if for a cause other than their own.

Well i my opinion if someone is hiking for a cause and they take the free gear i would question if they are realy hiking for the cause. If they dont say "Hey GoLite why dont you keep the free gear and just donate to the Charity" Then i would think low of their true intentions.

TwoForty
07-23-2005, 13:00
www.hikeforkids.com (http://www.hikeforkids.com)

Turtle2
07-23-2005, 17:23
Dorothy and Toto are on the trail now and are hiking for Outreach International. An e-mail to them via trailjournals may bring more info as they stop and update. I believe they are out of Pennsylvania now.

Tha Wookie
07-24-2005, 17:35
The fundraiser I have on my site has been successful. The past four years we have raised over $20K for the non-profit. As a rule, I NEVER solicit donations on the trail or in towns.

check it out, but a shirt or donate if you wish.... www.thawookie.com (http://www.thawookie.com)

One Leg
07-25-2005, 04:00
I learned a lot of things last year surrounding my hike, most of which dealt with financial aspects.

The main, most important, thing I learned was that if I couldn't fund it myself, then I had no business on the trail to begin with.

I realize that your original post had to do with fund raising within the realm of raising money for a just cause, and my fund raising was a way to pay for my hike. As a result, my hike probably left a bad taste in some folks' mouths. (And apologies are extended to those folks-you know who you are.)

Fundraising for worthwhile causes can be a good thing, but only if there is a system in place to ensure that the donated funds are going to what the donor perceives it's going for.

Let's say, for example, that you're raising money for alcoholics anonymous. Instead of having the donor give you the money, just tell them to donate to their local AA chapter.

-Scott

justusryans
07-25-2005, 08:08
I have considered Hiking for a cause and may still do it. If we do, we will not be raising funds, we will do it simply to raise awareness. I am funding our hike by busting my tail saving money for it. I don't think raising money for a cause and then spending it on yourself is a honorable thing to do. The same problem I have with ministers who ask for donations to help the needy and drive around new caddy's.

yogi clyde
07-25-2005, 16:28
There is a book out there, I believe it is "A Walk For Sunshine", that tells of a fund raisers AT thru hike.

Trail Dog
07-25-2005, 17:22
Well IF and i do mean IF, Rada and I decide to hike to raise money for a cause, we WONT be handleing ANY money at all. We WONT be petitioning in towns or on the trail and we wont be leaving huge messages in the shelter logs about our cause. We will do it by raising awareness and i would either have the money sent directly to the charity/cause or through a reputable third party. I dont know how it works really, but i guess i will figure it out, I got time.

So if anyone has any methods for doing this let me know. Thanks.

Mini-Mosey
07-25-2005, 17:45
Another poster mentioned this book. Jeff Alt hiked the AT to raise funds for the homes where his disabled brother lives. In this book, he specifically gives tips on how to carry out a hike for charity. You can get it from the ATC.

fiddlehead
07-25-2005, 21:51
Well i my opinion if someone is hiking for a cause and they take the free gear i would question if they are realy hiking for the cause. If they dont say "Hey GoLite why dont you keep the free gear and just donate to the Charity" Then i would think low of their true intentions.
I agree totally, i am not going to name anyone but have witnessed people who claim to hike for charitys and find out later it is bull. Not cool at all. I have seen lots of people try for sponsorship and have tried it myself. There's all kinds of people out there and some have no morals it seems.

NotYet
07-25-2005, 22:39
A few weeks before my thru-hike I was offered the opportunity to connect my hike to a local wilderness education program that was in its infancy. I took the opportunity because it seemed like it would be a win-win situation.

I funded my own hike and supplied my own gear. I did write off the expenses on my taxes that year, although I probably would have gotten the same return anyway (not having made much of a personal income!!!).

In the two weeks prior to the start date, I sent out flyers to friends, family and others who might be interested in donating to this particular cause. I asked for a penny, a nickle, or a dime per mile. One person actually donated a dollar per mile! The hike ended up raising about $12,000 for the program. I don't know other people's definition of success, but I was pleased with the results. More importantly, many people in the community became connected to helping this program get its start.

I never asked for money on the trail or in trail towns because my project was a bit more targeted.

Nean
07-26-2005, 00:30
I have met folks who had some expenses covered and were very nice folks, hiking for good causes. Who knows details, maybe the charity wanted it that way. As long as they aren't asking for cash or a check in thier name- its all good.
In my case, I wanted to do something positive for the small Idaho town that had treated me so well; (my 3rd was for my hometown). The drug treatment center and the hospice were the only local non profits and I figured the drug addicts needed to help themselves. I think my only option was to pay, I never considered anything else. I sacrificed 2 weeks work each time, raising pledges around the town. This was long before the internet became common and it was a wonderful and learning experience to talk to people face to face. Even if they didn't pledge, folks in the valley knew there was a hospice and what it was about. It was a one man show, cost me a few thousand spread over a few years, but in 6weeks I raised 25,000 and was told the awareness was the biggest help. Some people write in every shelter about their cause, thats awareness that doesn't hurt anyone. Beats bragging about how fast and far and light you are. I'd say tell who you want when you want but like anything, know your limits. It's not for everyone but hiking for a cause can be a very positive experience.