PDA

View Full Version : Newfound gap to davenport gap

Lorileigh
06-17-2013, 12:39
I'm planning a hike from newfound gap to davenport gap for 2 days and I'm clueless on where to even begin. Any suggestions on anything??

jburgasser
06-17-2013, 12:43
Maybe narrow down your needs by transportation, shelter reservations and Smokies Backcountry permits, what gear is required, where is North Carolina/Tennessee

fredmugs
06-17-2013, 12:59
Do you have a shuttle / transportation set up? If not contact Curtis at Standing Bear farm. You can leave your car there and get shuttled to your starting point. Figure out which shelter you want to stop at (you have to stay at one) and make a reservation. I'm still pretty sure you can reserve up to 30 days in advance.

joshuasdad
06-17-2013, 14:09
I'm planning a hike from newfound gap to davenport gap for 2 days and I'm clueless on where to even begin. Any suggestions on anything??
Welcome to Whiteblaze!

Why don't you give us some background on your hiking experience, and we can give better advice.

Without knowing more, my advice would be "don't do it in 2 days." The section can be much more difficult than it looks--I personally believe it to be the most dangerous (but not the most difficult) section of the Appalachian Trail.

HooKooDooKu
06-17-2013, 14:38
Figure out which shelter you want to stop at (you have to stay at one) and make a reservation. I'm still pretty sure you can reserve up to 30 days in advance.

The new Online Reservation system can be found here: https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index.cfm?BCPermitTypeID=1
With the new system, you can still make reservations 30 days in advance of the start of your trip. But now you have to pay a fee of $4/night/person and print your Permit BEFORE you get to the Smokies (no more showing up at a Ranger Station and filling out a hiking permit).

illabelle
06-17-2013, 15:03
Without knowing more, my advice would be "don't do it in 2 days." The section can be much more difficult than it looks--I personally believe it to be the most dangerous (but not the most difficult) section of the Appalachian Trail.

Agree, don't do it in 2 days, but why do you believe it is "the most dangerous"? Remoteness? Bears? Something else?

JustADude
06-17-2013, 15:04
Standing bear hostel is a great place to park and get a shuttle.
http://www.standingbearfarm.com/

I just did from Clingmans to Standing Bear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cro17EtEP34

Good hike!

max patch
06-17-2013, 15:12
Don't let the comment about the GSMNP being "dangerous" concern you.

tawa
06-17-2013, 16:48
Not sure what he is referring to when he says dangerous! Ranger told me when I went through the Smokies that he would be concerned about lighting and hiking up on a wild Boar at night as a hell of a lot more dangerous than a black bear. Therefore, he advised not to hike at night in the area and to get low and off the ridge when lighting hits the ridge. For what its worth I found it to be very pleasant and peaceful!

joshuasdad
06-17-2013, 17:33
Agree, don't do it in 2 days, but why do you believe it is "the most dangerous"? Remoteness? Bears? Something else?
I believe it looks easy on the map, but section hikers (and even a thru last year) get lured into biting off more they can chew. I had a lot of trouble with a very similar 2-day section, Clingman's Dome to Fontana Dam, and had difficulties with dehydration (caused in part by altitude) and possible hypothermia last October. I did not have trouble with the Davenport to Newfound section, even though I hiked it "uphill" in short days last November, partially because I then knew what to do to combat dehydration.

Remember that we had a section hiker die of hypothermia on the Newfound to Davenport section earlier this year, and it was not that cold of a day. A thru hiker needed to be rescued via helicopter on that section last November because of heavy snows from Sandy. It is just an extremely isolated section (Tricorner Knob is the most isolated point in the entire state of TN), so if you have trouble, it is difficult to bail out.

People hiking the Mahoosics and Whites likely know what they are getting into, and go out prepared. People underestimate the easily accessible Smokies. That's why I think it is a "dangerous" section, and that is why I ask for experience before giving advice.

hikerboy57
06-17-2013, 17:36
it doesnt have to be below freezing to experience hypothermia.
any time you go into the mountains, you should be prepared to guard against hypothermia at the very least.
there was nothing particularly dangerous about the section.
people also go into the whites unprepared. regularly.

joshuasdad
06-17-2013, 17:46
it doesnt have to be below freezing to experience hypothermia.
any time you go into the mountains, you should be prepared to guard against hypothermia at the very least.
there was nothing particularly dangerous about the section.
people also go into the whites unprepared. regularly.

The danger with that section, IMO, is that you start at a high elevation pretty much unlike any other SECTION hike on the AT. Your body purges liquid because of the elevation, and then you become dehydrated and prone to exhaustion or hypothermia. Thru hikers would not have any difficulty with that section, and would likely find it easy.

Again this is just my opinion. Obviously YMMV.

hikerboy57
06-17-2013, 17:54
The danger with that section, IMO, is that you start a high elevation pretty much unlike any other SECTION hike on the AT. Your body purges liquid because of the elevation, and then you become dehydrated and prone to exhaustion or hypothermia. Thru hikers would not have any difficulty with that section, and would likely find it easy.

Again this is just my opinion. Obviously YMMV.

its a good point ,and this is true any time you're in the mountains.its also easy to get dehydrated when its cold, as most people dont think to drink anywhere near the amount of water they need than when its warmer.part of avoiding hypothermia lies in being properly hydrated.
the whites and western maine are much more difficult.

Ox97GaMe
06-17-2013, 19:24
Without having much information about your past hiking experience, your currently fitness level, your estimated pack weight, or a handful of other pieces of vital information, the best way to answer your question is with some general statistical information.

a) Most thru hikers are doing this section in approximately 2.5 days of hiking. this is usually Pecks, Cosby, out. or Icewater, Tricorner, out.
b) This is the easier of the two halves of th AT hike in the GSMNP, as you are already at elevation and working your way to the valley. BUT... You have approx 20 miles of ridgeline hiking before making the decent from N. of TriCorner. There are still a significant number of climbs, several back up to nearly 6000 ft elevation.
c) Trying to hike this in 2 days means you will want to stay at TriCorner for the night. Day 1 will be challenging with a lot of up and down Day 2 is a relatively easy 20 mile day, except that you will be tired and sore from Day 1's hiking.
d) Water sources along the ridgeline have a tendency to dry up between mid July through mid September. There are occassional summer thunderstorms that replenish the water sources for a few days between dry spells. Check GSMNP weather reports for a couple weeks prior to your hike to monitor water availability.
e) There are folks that can hike 20, 30, 40, or even 70 miles in a single day. This is not the 'average' hiker. If you plan to hike more than about 15 miles/day, you will want to be in fairly good shape before you start.

Enjoy your hike.

fertilizer
06-18-2013, 09:35
I did this section in early March and it was fantastic hike (3 days, 2 nights). Its not dangerous, but, weather at the higher elevations can be unpredictable. Expect rain and possibly chilly temps. (I was at 4000ft one August and it got down into the 40s at night). I would not recommend this section for an inexperienced solo hiker. Also, buy the Smokies park map because it shows the side trails in case you have to bail. If you are not going solo, you could stash a car at the Big Creek Ranger Station (near Davenport Gap) and leave another at the Newfound Gap parking station. Also, make sure you visit the Jumpoff and Charlie's Bunion! Finally, enjoy the handicap accessible privy's-you're tax dollars at work!

joshuasdad
06-18-2013, 13:18
I'm planning a hike from newfound gap to davenport gap for 2 days and I'm clueless on where to even begin. Any suggestions on anything?? (emphasis added)

Red flags for a first time poster who does not follow up. DFTT?

hikerboy57
06-18-2013, 13:59
(emphasis added)

Red flags for a first time poster who does not follow up. DFTT?shes been here for a month though.

Trillium
06-18-2013, 14:12
(emphasis added)

Red flags for a first time poster who does not follow up. DFTT?

shes been here for a month though.

and she only posted yesterday at what could be her lunch hour. maybe she was busy last night and again today during lunch. cut her a little slack.

hikerboy57
06-18-2013, 14:25
and she only posted yesterday at what could be her lunch hour. maybe she was busy last night and again today during lunch. cut her a little slack.
some find it hard to believe theres life beyond whiteblaze

joshuasdad
06-19-2013, 08:23
OK, I guess I am just jaded by all of those do I need a gun, $1000 thruhike, speedhike, etc. threads we were getting a few months back. I do find the previous comment pretty funny though from someone with 9000+ posts.:)

hikerboy57
06-19-2013, 08:32
OK, I guess I am just jaded by all of those do I need a gun, $1000 thruhike, speedhike, etc. threads we were getting a few months back. I do find the previous comment pretty funny though from someone with 9000+ posts.:)
half of those are in the cafe.
didnt say i had a life,did i?

Rasty
06-19-2013, 16:38
some find it hard to believe theres life beyond whiteblaze

Is not..........

tawa
06-19-2013, 19:27
Remember when u use to ask those kind of questions!

Ox97GaMe
06-19-2013, 22:59
regarding the snide commment about the handicap accessible privies in the GSMNP.......

Several of the shelters are horse accessible. We have handicapped people that ride up and stay at these shelters. All the privies in the park are being built to the same design because it makes it easier/convenient to purchase, cut, and assemble when using just a single blueprint.

Also, the privy and shelter renovations have not been paid for by taxpayer dollars. These projects have been funded by the ATC, SMHC, Friends of the Smokies donations, from the TN and NC AT license plate sales. All preassembly and onsite assembly is being done by volunteers labor.

wornoutboots
06-20-2013, 01:37
2 days is a lot to cover that section. Standing Bear to Hot Springs is a tiny bit shorter & a great section with excellent shuttle options & no camping reservations needed. ~Enjoy~

illabelle
06-20-2013, 05:13
regarding the snide commment about the handicap accessible privies in the GSMNP.......

Several of the shelters are horse accessible. We have handicapped people that ride up and stay at these shelters. All the privies in the park are being built to the same design because it makes it easier/convenient to purchase, cut, and assemble when using just a single blueprint.

Also, the privy and shelter renovations have not been paid for by taxpayer dollars. These projects have been funded by the ATC, SMHC, Friends of the Smokies donations, from the TN and NC AT license plate sales. All preassembly and onsite assembly is being done by volunteers labor.

Ox, thank you for that information. I have also chuckled at the apparent silliness of handicapped privies on remote trails. I think to most people it truly does appear to be the result of misguided government policies.

Perhaps you could shed some additional light: Please help me understand how a handicapped person (I'm thinking wheelchairs) makes use of an accessible privy if the path to the privy is rugged or steep. Help me understand why we add ramps and grab bars to the privy, but we don't make modifications to the shelters that may be built on a rocky, muddy, or steep site. I haven't seen any shelters that don't require significant mobility to use. Perhaps you could describe AT shelter locations, if any, that have been designed for handicapped accessibility, and what level of handicap we're trying to accommodate. So far all I can picture is perhaps an elderly outdoorsman who no longer has the stamina for the hike, but he can ride. With assistance he can mount and dismount, and uses a cane to get around. Is this the typical user we're attempting to accommodate?

Lorileigh
07-01-2013, 09:57
My fitness level is good! I hike a lot. Just haven't done this area. Having trouble figuring out what town we start at to drive to and where we end at to have someone pick is up

illabelle
07-01-2013, 10:15
My fitness level is good! I hike a lot. Just haven't done this area. Having trouble figuring out what town we start at to drive to and where we end at to have someone pick is up

I recommend that you arrange for a shuttle to pick you up at the Davenport Gap area. Could leave your vehicle at Standing Bear hostel (outside the park), or at the Big Creek Ranger Station (1.3 mile off-trail walk on gravel road at the end of your hike). Shuttle drops you off at Newfound Gap, and you start walking. Gatlinburg is the town nearest your entry point to the park.

To find a shuttle (and tons of other info), use this link: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike/parking-shuttles-transportation (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike/parking-shuttles-transportation)

If you aren't already familiar with the new reservation and permit system for the Smokies, you should spend some time here: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/backcountry-camping.htm

(http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike/parking-shuttles-transportation)

hikingshoes
07-01-2013, 11:10
If you need a second vehicle I would like to do this section and save you (I) some money on a shuttle. I enjoy a good 8-10 miles per day hike . HS