PDA

View Full Version : Hiker/biker sites at Big Meadows?

Coffee
06-17-2013, 13:12
I'm planning a training hike in the Central District of the park this weekend mainly to get some miles and elevation in preparation for the John Muir Trail. I plan to start at the big Old Rag parking lot in Nethers, walk the fire roads to the Cedar Run trailhead, go up Cedar Run, then take the Big Meadows-Skyland horse trail to Rose River area, do the Rose River Loop and then end up near Big Meadows. The following day, I plan to hike the AT north past Skyland to the Nicholson Hollow trail which leads back down to Nethers. If my calculations are right this loop is about 28-30 miles.

My two camping options seem to be either at Big Meadows campground or the Rose River area where I've camped before. My plan is to pass through the Rose River area and if it isn't too crowded camp there. Otherwise, I'll continue on to Big Meadows. But Big Meadows campground is full for reservations on Saturday so I'm trying to figure out if there are "hike/bike" type walk in sites always available for backpackers to use. Or if there are legal backcountry camping sites somewhere near Big Meadows. If I recall correctly, there are some decent flattish spots just off the AT near the Lewis Falls loop trail at its northern end but I'm not sure if those areas are legal since it isn't clear to me if they are 1/4 mile from the developed campground. Dry camping wouldn't be a problem since I can easily haul water from the campground.

Cookerhiker
06-17-2013, 13:43
I'm pretty sure that Big Meadows does have walk-in campsites for backpackers and bikers. As I recall, they're on the first right-most loop after you pass through the campground kiosk.

Cookerhiker
06-17-2013, 13:45
Here you go: http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/big_meadows_camp_combined.pdf

Coffee
06-17-2013, 15:02
So I guess that would be tent sites 1-7. Thanks for the info...good to know.

Cookerhiker
06-17-2013, 15:22
Looks like sites 1-23.

tf bear
06-17-2013, 15:23
Might be in the area this weekend would be glad to share a site. Trail name Shadow

Cookerhiker
06-17-2013, 15:30
The advantage of camping at the Big Meadows walk-in sites is that you don't need a backcountry permit since you're only out for the one night, not camping in the backcountry. The disadvantage is that a full drive-in campground means more noise, lights, and campfire smoke which invariably finds its way to your nostrils.

Coffee
06-17-2013, 15:58
The advantage of camping at the Big Meadows walk-in sites is that you don't need a backcountry permit since you're only out for the one night, not camping in the backcountry. The disadvantage is that a full drive-in campground means more noise, lights, and campfire smoke which invariable finds its way to your nostrils.

One nice thing about SNP is the relatively hassle free process of getting a self-issue backcountry permit. No quotas or hassles or fees involved. I agree that car campgrounds aren't that great for the reasons you mention but it is good to have a fallback if I don't find legal backcountry camping options that I like in the general vicinity. $20 campground fee is the other negative ... probably better spent on food at the wayside.

Marmaduke
09-03-2013, 07:27
Just a clarification......the car campground sites are only $15. I managed to snag the last possible one this weekend after deciding at 8pm friday night that I needed to drive from Ohio to Shenandoah for the weekend........... one of the greatest places on earth, even with all of the people.

mikec
09-03-2013, 11:01
... one of the greatest places on earth...

I agree. Stayed here during a 2000 section hike. The tap room was the highlight for me.