PDA

View Full Version : Crazy night on Pinhoti-Cave Creek loop

RebootWilderness
06-17-2013, 13:30
Hi everyone, I'm glad this forum has been set up for those who love the Pinhoti and associated trails to share experiences and info.

Earlier this year I started a backpacking/outdoors program through my church in Montgomery, Ala., to get more men out to experience Alabama's trails. I thought you might be interested in reading the report from our trip this May to do the Cave Creek-Pinhoti loop at Cheaha. This was the night that a 50 percent chance of scattered showers turned into almost 7 inches of rain at Cheaha and flooded the Lake Chinnabee campground. It is split into two parts and written from a faith-based point of view.

http://rebootwilderness.wordpress.com/2013/06/13/an-unexpected-adventure-reboots-may-2013-cheaha-wilderness-trip-part-1/

Rain Man
06-17-2013, 18:26
Earlier this year I started a backpacking/outdoors program through my church in Montgomery, Ala., to get more men out to experience Alabama's trails.

More "men"? Not women? Not kids?

Rain Man

Dogwood
06-17-2013, 19:11
Is this just a male thing you do? Can't adventurous females do all that you males did? Don't limit this thing to males alone. How about setting up a all female hiking over nighter for those who also wish to get closer to God through less civilization and connection with nature?

globetruck
06-17-2013, 19:44
Why is everyone so concerned that this was a men's group outing? Where's the outrage over all of the women's only athletic events/runs/triathlons?

Get a grip folks.

Dogwood
06-17-2013, 19:56
I sense no outrage. Personally, regardless of some group's stereotypical norms of what's acceptable for each sex, I would like to see females going on camping trips to get closer to God however they might define God. That was my only intent in my post.

RebootWilderness
06-17-2013, 23:57
The trip described here was our very first trip. I've got big plans and ideas, but like anything it takes time to build. This fall, we'll offer hikes for men and women. I'd love to expand it further and do an all women backpacking trip if I can get enough interest. I've got an almost 2-year-old son who I'm introducing to the outdoors, so I'm sure we'll involve kids soon. In short, I love the Alabama wilderness and want to share it with anyone who is interested.

marti038
06-18-2013, 09:58
I sense no outrage. Personally, regardless of some group's stereotypical norms of what's acceptable for each sex, I would like to see females going on camping trips to get closer to God however they might define God. That was my only intent in my post.

Then why don't you organize such a trip instead of criticizing Reboot for going hiking with some of the guys from his church? It's not like they went on the trip so they could discuss the superiority of manhood and tell mean stories about girls.

Planning a trip without a representative from every gender, race, nationality, religious affiliation, etc. isn't mean spirited. Sometimes it's just practical.

Tipi Walter
06-18-2013, 10:28
Thanks for sharing your interesting trip report. I was sort of surprised you didn't get your tent fly fixed and adjusted right from the start so that you didn't have to bail at 9pm that Friday night due to puddles inside your tent. But a tough lightning storm with buckets of rain can test the best backpacker---I can sit thru anything though and would've just stayed put until morning.

Your mentioning God is fine with me but I don't see the storm as God's "righteous anger at evil and sin . . ." It's just a normal natural storm, part and parcel of the outdoors.

And we have a big disagreement when you say the calm after the storm shows God's grace, peace and mercy. To me the storm itself shows God's grace, peace and mercy. But it's a small point and nothing to get hung about.

Ewker
06-18-2013, 10:44
why does God have to be in the trip? Just get folks together (man, woman and child) who enjoy getting out in nature.

bfayer
06-18-2013, 11:00
why does God have to be in the trip? Just get folks together (man, woman and child) who enjoy getting out in nature.

Did you happen to notice that he organized this through his church? God is kind of a significant part of most churches.

As for the man, woman, child thing, there are appropriate times for all men, all women and all children, and all everybody. Having an all men camping trip with guys from the church, is no different from my wife's "girls night out" with the woman in the neighborhood.

Anything that get more folks off the couch and out on the trail is a good thing.

Namtrag
06-18-2013, 11:25
Hard to believe this poor guy's original post degenerated into an gender equality discussion for no apparent reason other than people want to pick a fight.

We live in a free country and if you want to hike with women only, men only, children only, dogs, cats, old people, young people, or any other category of human or animal, it's your own business.

The statements above that some people made make absolutely no sense...it would be like chastising the boy scouts or girl scouts for not including the opposite sex, or totally unrelated adults on their trips.

Namtrag
06-18-2013, 11:29
Sorry, I did not mean for my post to be mean spirited. My apologies to everyone. I would delete the post, but can't find a way to do it!

Ewker
06-18-2013, 11:43
Did you happen to notice that he organized this through his church? God is kind of a significant part of most churches.

Anything that get more folks off the couch and out on the trail is a good thing.

Yes God is a part of the church but that doesn't mean God is in the trip. Churches do lots of events where religion isn't brought into it.

Agree with your last sentence

MDSection12
06-18-2013, 11:47
Yes God is a part of the church but that doesn't mean God is in the trip. Churches do lots of events where religion isn't brought into it.

Really? What churches? I'm not religious at all, but in my experience growing up in a church we didn't do anything that wasn't done with the express inclusion of god... Even if that only meant having a quick prayer beforehand.

A church is a religious-based group by definition, are you really saying you expect them to leave religion out of some of their activities? I've been called a 'militant atheist' at times, but even I wouldn't suggest that.

Drybones
06-18-2013, 12:37

Cause God likes to hike too, you hardly know He's there, doesn't talk much but when He does it's pretty awsome.

Drybones
06-18-2013, 12:43
[QUOTE=Ewker;1488401]Yes God is a part of the church but that doesn't mean God is in the trip. Churches do lots of events where religion isn't brought into it.

Unfortunately, it's only been on rare occasions I've seen God show up at church, the odds of meeting Him on the trail are as good as at most churchs....IMO.

blisterbob
06-18-2013, 12:46
OK my turn:
First, I am a born again Christian.
Second, I will not go to a foot stompin, pulpit poundin church service and do not believe in forcing my views on others.
Third, I believe God is involved in everything that takes place.
Fourth, I am sorry to see so much controversy/criticism for this mans entry even though I thought he leaned more toward a sermon.

Just my thoughts and not intended to provoke anyone......Especially God!

atmilkman
Unfortunately, it's only been on rare occasions I've seen God show up at church, the odds of meeting Him on the trail are as good as at most churchs....IMO.

See signature below.

Drybones
Hard to believe this poor guy's original post degenerated into an gender equality discussion for no apparent reason other than people want to pick a fight.

We live in a free country and if you want to hike with women only, men only, children only, dogs, cats, old people, young people, or any other category of human or animal, it's your own business.

The statements above that some people made make absolutely no sense...it would be like chastising the boy scouts or girl scouts for not including the opposite sex, or totally unrelated adults on their trips.

Agree...................this is the group that continually says....HYOH?

atmilkman
06-18-2013, 12:52
OK my turn:
First, I am a born again Christian.
Second, I will not go to a foot stompin, pulpit poundin church service and do not believe in forcing my views on others.
Third, I believe God is involved in everything that takes place.
Fourth, I am sorry to see so much controversy/criticism for this mans entry even though I thought he leaned more toward a sermon.

Just my thoughts and not intended to provoke anyone......Especially God!

I agree. I don't mind talking about it but I don't want it to go to extremes. If I want to talk about God with a group I go to church. If I want to talk to him by myself I go for a hike. But that's just me.

Drybones
06-18-2013, 13:07
I agree. I don't mind talking about it but I don't want it to go to extremes. If I want to talk about God with a group I go to church. If I want to talk to him by myself I go for a hike. But that's just me.

2000 years ago the Man didn't spend much time in the churches, spent most of His time hiking with 12 other roughneck hiker dudes trying to teach them a thing or two, He probably spends His time pretty much the same today.

atmilkman
06-18-2013, 13:23
2000 years ago the Man didn't spend much time in the churches, spent most of His time hiking with 12 other roughneck hiker dudes trying to teach them a thing or two, He probably spends His time pretty much the same today.

No Doubt. The OP did give a "warning" (if that's what ya want to call it) stating that the review was written from a faith-based point of view. To me that pretty much gives the reader the control of whether he (or she - God forbid) wants to read it.

MDSection12
06-18-2013, 13:29
No Doubt. The OP did give a "warning" (if that's what ya want to call it) stating that the review was written from a faith-based point of view. To me that pretty much gives the reader the control of whether he (or she - God forbid) wants to read it.

Exactly. I chose not to read it... No harm done. :)

Dogwood
06-18-2013, 13:32
The trip described here was our very first trip. I've got big plans and ideas, but like anything it takes time to build. This fall, we'll offer hikes for men and women. I'd love to expand it further and do an all women backpacking trip if I can get enough interest. I've got an almost 2-year-old son who I'm introducing to the outdoors, so I'm sure we'll involve kids soon. In short, I love the Alabama wilderness and want to share it with anyone who is interested.

GREAT! I wasn't trying to be critical. Thanks for sharing your trip report and connection with God through fellowshipping with other men and the outdoors. I think you have a GREAT thing going! Keep it up.

Dogwood
06-18-2013, 13:37
I also enjoyed you sharing your faith and how that's the biggest reason why you are doing this. Someone sharing their beliefs even when they don't totally agree with mine can help us all to grow.

Rain Man
06-18-2013, 13:57
Cause God likes to hike too, you hardly know He's there, doesn't talk much but when He does it's pretty awsome.

He?

Rain:sunMan

marti038
06-18-2013, 13:59

Why wouldn't God be part of the trip? If one believes God created nature it would be pretty difficult to exclude Him.

Dogwood
06-18-2013, 14:01
Liked the comments too DryBones.

marti038
06-18-2013, 14:02
He?

Yes, "He" is the pronoun that the Bible typically uses to describe God, even in the book of Numbers where your siggy comes from.

Rain Man
06-19-2013, 10:35
Yes, "He" is the pronoun that the Bible typically uses to describe God, even in the book of Numbers where your siggy comes from.

Is that the Bible written by all men and translated by all men? THAT "Bible," which says that God is not infinite, but is only male?

As if 8,000 words of one human language could possibly describe an infinite God. Though they can conveniently mislead unintentionally, or intentionally for misogynistic purposes.

marti038
06-19-2013, 10:48
Is that the Bible written by all men and translated by all men? THAT "Bible," which says that God is not infinite, but is only male?

Look, I can see that you're interested stirring a debate, and I'm certain that a response to your last comment would bring exactly that. However, I doubt Drybones was attempting to shift some great religious or theological standard by using the pronoun "He". Especially since it is the most common pronoun used to describe God (not just in the Bible).

Your response to Drybones was just begging for someone to take the bait, which I foolishly did. Looking back, I can see that none of the folks who have been on WB for a while fell into the same trap I did. Oh well, I'm a newbie...lesson learned.

MDSection12
06-19-2013, 10:52

As if 8,000 words of one human language could possibly describe an infinite God. Though they can conveniently mislead unintentionally, or intentionally for misogynistic purposes.

Do you know what pronoun you are supposed to use when you don't know the sex of the entity you are referring to? Maybe that's misogynistic, but it's also good grammar. :rolleyes:

Namtrag
06-19-2013, 11:23
That debate over whether God is male is the ultimate form over substance argument. The fact that most people say He when referring to God is totally meaningless to the nature and form of God, and is a frivolous thing to argue about...

I guess to avoid the frivolity, we could all agree to substitute "He/She/It/They" in place of "He" in the references to God above.

Dogwood
06-19-2013, 14:06

You are right Namtrag. And, personally it was not my intention to turn RebootWilderness' thread into a gender, philosophical, theological, blah blah debate. Again, nice trip report Reboot! Let's keep it about Reboot wilderness' trip!

Drybones
06-19-2013, 14:42
Reboot...were you and some other guys at the Cheaha Falls shelter back in December, myself and three other roughnecks got there as a group of guys was leaving, I believe what they were doing was along the lines of what you're up to.

The Solemates
06-19-2013, 15:23
Lets not forget the Bible is clear that MAN was made in the triune God's image, inferring that it is correct to refer to go using "He".

The Solemates
06-19-2013, 15:24
Lets not forget the Bible is clear that MAN was made in the triune God's image, inferring that it is correct to refer to go using "He".

Let me try that again:

Lets not forget the Bible is clear that MAN was made in the triune God's image, inferring that it is correct to refer to God using "He".

Drybones
06-19-2013, 18:33
Let me try that again:

Lets not forget the Bible is clear that MAN was made in the triune God's image, inferring that it is correct to refer to God using "He".

What's a triune?

Tuckahoe
06-19-2013, 19:13
What's a triune?
Its an unincorporated community in Williamson County, Tennessee along 96/Murfreesboro Rd

Tipi Walter
06-19-2013, 19:50
Its an unincorporated community in Williamson County, Tennessee along 96/Murfreesboro Rd

A proper Triune is the 3 Offensive Niblings in the sport 43-Man Squamish---see link.
http://usualgangofidiots.tumblr.com/image/26747857754

blisterbob
06-19-2013, 20:41
A couple points:
Rain man is an attorney by profession, so naturally he loves to sink his teeth into anything to offer opposing views.
I did not have him figured for an 'internet troll' when I met him.
I had also noticed there are several in that category that seem to browse these threads for the purpose if opposing viewpoints.
I expected this sort of comments when the Pinhoti had it's own forum.
Lastly, I recall that Rain Man was adamantly opposed to this forum being established.
Perhaps that is why he is Hell bent on causing discontent.

Drybones
06-19-2013, 20:50
A couple points:
Rain man is an attorney by profession, so naturally he loves to sink his teeth into anything to offer opposing views.
I had also noticed there are several in that category that seem to browse these threads for the purpose if opposing viewpoints.
Lastly, I recall that Rain Man was adamantly opposed to this forum being established.

Interesting point BB, why would someone opposed to a thread spend so much time on it?

Tipi Walter
06-19-2013, 21:17
A couple points:

One of the main purposes of a forum is to provide opposing viewpoints. It's called a discussion. Sometimes a discussion causes discontent but not for everyone. Others may like the exchange of ideas and feel no discontent. Those who often feel the most reactionary towards opposing viewpoints, and therefore discontent, are often quick to call such posts "trolls". Just my opinion.

wornoutboots
06-20-2013, 02:03
Nice TR! Thanks for sharing!!

marti038
06-20-2013, 08:36
One of the main purposes of a forum is to provide opposing viewpoints. It's called a discussion. Sometimes a discussion causes discontent but not for everyone. Others may like the exchange of ideas and feel no discontent.

Couldn't agree more.

Those who often feel the most reactionary towards opposing viewpoints, and therefore discontent, are often quick to call such posts "trolls". Just my opinion.

What about the folks that are clearly fishing for said reactions? I'm not an expert on origins of forum vocabulary, but I always assumed a troll was someone who did exactly that; or they live under a bridge.

T.S.Kobzol
06-20-2013, 09:40
This is a very funny thread.

canoe
06-20-2013, 09:53
In this case there should nt have been any opposing views...NONE. OP simply stated what he was doing... wanting to hear about eperiances on the trail... and because what he was doing with a mens group from his church some of you s**t all over his post. Many on this site would have cheered him on if it was some gay group from the SF was doing this... but let a straight laced male church group post anything about gaining info about a trail and some you just stir the S**t pot creating the bad feelings. You know who you are. How bout being tolerant the other way as well.

And I like the OP would like to hear about stories on this trail.

canoe
06-20-2013, 09:54
This is a very funny thread.
No this post is sad... very sad

Tipi Walter
06-20-2013, 09:58

Look, I can see that you're interested stirring a debate, and I'm certain that a response to your last comment would bring exactly that. However, I doubt Drybones was attempting to shift some great religious or theological standard by using the pronoun "He". Especially since it is the most common pronoun used to describe God (not just in the Bible).

Your response to Drybones was just begging for someone to take the bait, which I foolishly did. Looking back, I can see that none of the folks who have been on WB for a while fell into the same trap I did. Oh well, I'm a newbie...lesson learned.

I guess the top Rain Man post could be considered "stirring a debate", but he has points to make about the language of the Bible and all of us can react in any way we see fit. I think every post on any thread is "fishing for a reaction"---we want people to read our posts and to respond or react. It's called a discussion.

When the discussion of God, religion and the Bible comes up, well, there will be born-agains and there will be disbelievers and there will be even those strongly vehement in their opinion to the point of snarkiness---which means crotchety, snappish, even combative. Why shouldn't they be? And shouldn't we expect it? With agreement comes dullness.

Personally, I dislike posts that are really combative---when someone disagrees and then calls the other person a *@#%$#@@ piece of $#^$%$$ who should %(&^%& and then sit on a @%$%&^. Rain Man never comes close to this. People who do are the real Trolls. Look at YouTube comments if you want to find such stuff.

Couldn't agree more.

What about the folks that are clearly fishing for said reactions? I'm not an expert on origins of forum vocabulary, but I always assumed a troll was someone who did exactly that; or they live under a bridge.

MDSection12
06-20-2013, 10:10
In this case there should nt have been any opposing views...NONE. OP simply stated what he was doing... wanting to hear about eperiances on the trail... and because what he was doing with a mens group from his church some of you s**t all over his post. Many on this site would have cheered him on if it was some gay group from the SF was doing this... but let a straight laced male church group post anything about gaining info about a trail and some you just stir the S**t pot creating the bad feelings. You know who you are. How bout being tolerant the other way as well.

He said he's glad this forum was set up to share experiences on the trail... Not that he was starting this thread to share experiences. He was simply sharing his experience, in a trip report format. I don't think that justifies some of the responses, but I don't think any are terribly disrespectful either. He must have known that people would be interested in his group and I'm sure that was part of his intention. That's all I saw; interest, not condemnation, just interest. :)

I don't care for your 'some gay group from the SF' comment though. I don't think it added anything to your post other than to make you look like a bigot. Maybe you are, maybe you aren't but with a random comment like that you sure look the part. :rolleyes:

Namtrag
06-20-2013, 10:10
the problem is, Tipi, that this thread was not in any way, shape or form inviting debate, civil, or otherwise. So what Rain Man did was totally inappropriate. IMO, the mods should have, at some point, stepped in and told all of us to stay on the topic of the OP, not have a great debate about religion, gender, and use of language.

Namtrag
06-20-2013, 10:15
What's so ironic and telling, is that Rain Man made his little one sentence remarks, then promptly exited the scene. He never once responded in a discussion type post to any of our comments on what he said.

Namtrag
06-20-2013, 10:17
I take back some of the above post...he did respond once to a comment made about his pithy remarks! My apologies.

Anyway the trip report was awesome.

Tipi Walter
06-20-2013, 10:20

There should not have been any opposing views? NONE?? You've just ended the whole purpose of a forum. And I would not call some of the replies to Reboot Wilderness as s******* all over his post. It's called reading a trip report and finding things to disagree with. Reboot Wilderness opened him self up by posting a trip report with a good part of it dealing with Jesus and God, and so he should expect not only a discussion on the trails he hiked and the places he went but also on Jesus and God.

Believe it or not but some people don't believe in Jesus and God. You gotta let them speak.

I've done trip reports declaring my vegetarianism and dislike for hunting and people who strongly disagree with me chime in with harsh words against my choices. They are free to do so. They should not be muzzled. Do you think a nice polished trip report will be perfectly received by all without a blemish? Should they be? HECK NO.

And to Namtrag---"the problem is, Tipi, that this thread was not in any way, shape or form inviting debate, civil, or otherwise. So what Rain Man did was totally inappropriate. IMO, the mods should have, at some point, stepped in and told all of us to stay on the topic of the OP, not have a great debate about religion, gender, and use of language."

A thread flows as it will and moves along organically which is natural. Every thread posted on Whiteblaze invites civil debate because a discussion is a sort of living thing which evolves. Mods may see this debate as a problem if Reboot Wilderness posted it in the Straight Forward forum, where extraneous stuff is not welcomed.

Namtrag
06-20-2013, 10:28
I see what you mean, Tipi...I admit I was incorrect (it happens once in a while) :)

Still don't understand why Rain Man has totally disappeared when he was the one who started it all.

Swordpen
06-20-2013, 10:29
Reboot,

Thank you for sharing your story. God kept you safe on your journey. :)

RebootWilderness
06-20-2013, 12:56
Wow, this thread has been around the world and back, but I guess I shouldn't really be that surprised because of the nature of the trip report. Thanks for checking it out whether you agree with my point of view or not. I can’t help but involve my faith in everything I do, and my story reflects how I experienced the trip.

Thanks for the nice words, Dogwood.
Drybones, That wasn’t me at the shelter in December. Last time I was in the area before this trip was November. I hope I have occasion to meet you sometime on the trail.
Tipi Walter, I was very close to getting the tent fly secured during the first big storm. In fact, if I had two more minutes I would have gotten it secure and my gear would've probably stayed dry, but I just chickened out with lighting and thunder pretty much right on top of our location.

Anyone else ever been in a situation with so much rain? I’d love to hear any tips and suggestions on how to stay dry out on the trail in those circumstances.

T.S.Kobzol
06-20-2013, 13:58
In torrential rain your best bet is an ideal campsite, flawless seam sealing or a well tarped hammock.

Anyone else ever been in a situation with so much rain? I’d love to hear any tips and suggestions on how to stay dry out on the trail in those circumstances.

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2

marti038
06-20-2013, 14:28
Look at YouTube comments if you want to find such stuff.

What are YouTube comments?

blisterbob
06-20-2013, 22:44
Tipi,
Thanks for your comments. They made me realize I was becoming what I would criticize others for.
I apologize to Rain Man and the readers of this forum.

ednotmilkman
06-21-2013, 16:54
Well, at least we know there are lots more reading about Pinhoti from "outa" state than our original group on alatrails forum. All the trouble probably coming from those not raised "round here".

Drybones
06-21-2013, 17:52
Tipi,
Thanks for your comments. They made me realize I was becoming what I would criticize others for.
I apologize to Rain Man and the readers of this forum.

I personally don't believe a person should ever apologize for saying what what they believe...and granted...we all regret saying what we believe from time to time.

Malto
06-21-2013, 18:54

Couldnt agree more. Sad that when someone on this site actually hikes and talks about it there is such a focus on such tangential aspects and then the threads spins off.

To the OP,
thanks for posting the trip report. I wish there were more of them.

HikerMom58
06-21-2013, 19:11
Wow, this thread has been around the world and back, but I guess I shouldn't really be that surprised because of the nature of the trip report. Thanks for checking it out whether you agree with my point of view or not. I can’t help but involve my faith in everything I do, and my story reflects how I experienced the trip.

Thanks for the nice words, Dogwood.
Drybones, That wasn’t me at the shelter in December. Last time I was in the area before this trip was November. I hope I have occasion to meet you sometime on the trail.
Tipi Walter, I was very close to getting the tent fly secured during the first big storm. In fact, if I had two more minutes I would have gotten it secure and my gear would've probably stayed dry, but I just chickened out with lighting and thunder pretty much right on top of our location.

I enjoyed the trip report very much!! :)

I like this response too! RebootWilderness... many continued blessings to you! :>)

Gray Bear
06-21-2013, 21:48
Great report, thank you for sharing. I wish I was in your area. I'd join you on you next outing! I may have to suggest this to some of the men in my church.

ciphoto
06-23-2013, 09:55
Well, at least we know there are lots more reading about Pinhoti from "outa" state than our original group on alatrails forum. All the trouble probably coming from those not raised "round here".

HA I was thinking the same thing...

It is always amazing to me how some forum threads can get away from their purpose, the OP intent on sharing an experience.

Rasty
06-23-2013, 10:43

Couldnt agree more. Sad that when someone on this site actually hikes and talks about it there is such a focus on such tangential aspects and then the threads spins off.

To the OP,
thanks for posting the trip report. I wish there were more of them.

There are threads that need to be ridiculed here on Whiteblaze. This was not one of those threads. This was an innocent trip report which wasn't hurting anyone.

MDSection12
06-24-2013, 08:59
Great report, thank you for sharing. I wish I was in your area. I'd join you on you next outing! I may have to suggest this to some of the men in my church.

Why just the men? (Totally kidding.)

Namtrag
06-24-2013, 09:24
Why just the men? (Totally kidding.)

The women were too busy shopping... (totally kidding as well)

Matt65
03-17-2015, 20:23
For anyone else planning the Pinhoti / Cave Creek Loop hike here is a video series from Youtube user: Chris Rhodes that you may find helpful.

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoEn0xjxpzoUQX5gRAeP2FFoYHpt06diD

ngneer
10-18-2015, 20:54

Agree with your last sentenceare you serious u need to read what u just posted. I usually avoid little petty crybaby crap like this on forums but just... The devil made me do it. Forgive me Father

Lnj
10-19-2015, 11:37

Like a mighty rushing wind. Takes your breath away.

Lnj
10-19-2015, 11:39
[QUOTE=Ewker;1488401]Yes God is a part of the church but that doesn't mean God is in the trip. Churches do lots of events where religion isn't brought into it.

Totally agree. AMEN!!!

RICHat22
10-27-2015, 16:19
Apologies for bringing up an old thread as a new user. But I wanted to thank Reboot for sharing his experience. I remember that day well as it was the morning of my wife's birthday and my Mom was in town for a visit by coincidence. I was awakened by a phone call at appx 345am that Saturday morning. I went to bed about midnight after a long and physical day and immediately went into deep sleep. The phone call was from 911. They said that a vehicle had run off into Lake Chinnabee and there were 2 people trapped inside. The water was rising. That's what caught me to ask "Why is the water rising? Is the car still moving deeper?" She said no. Chinnabee has flooded out and is still coming up. It's raining hard up there. I looked outside my window (~20 miles South) and it's dry as a bone. Pulled radar as I was dressing like I was on fire and saw a 30 screen loop of nothing but heavy downpour and very strong and frequent CTG lightning. And it was basically rotating on itself and not moving. Long story short it was full speed to get rescue boats and head up there which is a 25 minute drive anyway. Had a police running blocker in front of me because the rain was still so heavy there were near-basketball sized rocks all in the road. We launched 3 boats in the first parking lot, the road was nearly 5 ft underwater. Extracted 19 people, pushed a couple vehicles higher, and took them to safety. I called a friend and had them open the Cheaha restaurant early and get coffee started. I am with Clay County Rescue Squad over these types of search and rescue missions. I was leading the incident that day as well. We were very fortunate no one was hurt as many tents washed away from behind.

So Reboot, if you were early enough to see Rescue guys there, I was one of them sitting and drinking coffee for 10 minutes. Right before our next calls came out for a washed out road that took a mid-sized truck and another road that the creek came out and got another truck to the windows. Don't see these things often in the Hills of Cheaha.

Thanks again for sharing.
Brian

Matt65
10-28-2015, 19:50
I hate that the campground is now closed, but that night it was justified. The damage along the creek feeding the lake was impressive. I can only imagine what it looked like as it happened.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=98780

George
11-01-2015, 06:13

so now, is god ultra light, gear freak, purist, yellow blazer??? what are we talking here

charlielima
11-01-2015, 18:47
so now, is god ultra light, gear freak, purist, yellow blazer??? what are we talking here

Not sure about ultra light, but God is light, and definitely pure. :sun