PDA

View Full Version : Arm tingling along with hands swelling

hikingshoes
06-17-2013, 13:54
I love hiking/backpacking. Plans are to hike sobo next month with a great friend which is a 2x nobo thru-hiker. Anyway, as I was walking my 12miles (no pack) yesterday my left arms started tingling, hands swelling too. We stop to take a break as I was sitting there my arm stop tingling ,after I started walking again it started back tingling. I had this on the trail once before but I was thinking my pack strap was cutting the flow off to my arm ( I did adjust it), but after walking without a pack yesterday got my thinking. Anyway we took off to the VA hospital to get checked out. I had blood work, EKG which all checked out great, got a stress test to do next wk.Has anyone had any of this before? The funny think about it is I was on the treadmill the day before for 45 mins with no problem. Thanks HS

canoe
06-17-2013, 14:13
Yes , i have my hand swell while hiking. When I started useing treking poles no more problems. I just thought that the blood settled in my hands from being lower than the rest of my body. Would be interested in the results or your tests.

Praha4
06-17-2013, 14:17
hands swelling in hot weather = early dehydration symptom. Drink more, stay hydrated. The hands tingling could be from a pinched nerve or some carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms from the grip you have on your hiking poles.

topshelf
06-17-2013, 14:19
could be the pack cutting circulation. could also be blood pooling in your arms from where they are hanging down while walking and you might not be moving your arm enough to help with blood circulation. Do you use hiking poles of any kind? i think ive heard its also something to do with hydration and electrolyte imbalances.

if you dont use hiking poles, get a pair and go for a long walk again and see if it cures it.

I get this feeling when walking after a long run, and it used to happen while hiking until i got some poles.

Tipi Walter
06-17-2013, 14:27
It's probably the pack. Here's a test---Wear a pack with about 50 lbs in it and do not use the hipbelt. See if your hands swell. Then try it with most of the weight on your hipbelt and much less on the shoulders. See what happens.

When I used to wear a frameless ALICE pack with 50 lbs my hands always swelled and my neck hurt and I got a good headache. Now I haul 80 lbs routinely (but NOT with an ALICE) and if the pack fits and is made to haul what weight you're carrying you should have no problems.

Beyond tingling arms and swelling hands, too much weight on a poorly fitting hipbelt can produce some real pain---hot spots on the hips and even numbness in the "nether regions" or the hips. Okay I guess if you're a eunuch.

hikingshoes
06-17-2013, 14:30
Yeah,I use poles and your right they work great for me. I did injury my back on active duty L4,l5, S1 are messed up. I was drinking a lot of water. It was a great walk but this took the wind out of my sail.

hikingshoes
06-17-2013, 14:33
It's probably the pack. Here's a test---Wear a pack with about 50 lbs in it and do not use the hipbelt. See if your hands swell. Then try it with most of the weight on your hipbelt and much less on the shoulders. See what happens.

When I used to wear a frameless ALICE pack with 50 lbs my hands always swelled and my neck hurt and I got a good headache. Now I haul 80 lbs routinely (but NOT with an ALICE) and if the pack fits and is made to haul what weight you're carrying you should have no problems.

Beyond tingling arms and swelling hands, too much weight on a poorly fitting hipbelt can produce some real pain---hot spots on the hips and even numbness in the "nether regions" or the hips. Okay I guess if you're a eunuch.

Tipi, I have a ULA catalyst fits good,weights on my hips. I'll try this after my stress test next wk. thanks for the input.

illabelle
06-17-2013, 15:09
Tingling/swelling in BOTH hands sounds like you just need to get your arms moving and circulate the blood. Tingling/swelling in ONE hand like you described sounds more like a pinched nerve. At least that's what my chiropractor said. My tingling in the left hand, and pain in the left shoulder has disappeared with treatment.

Sailing_Faith
06-17-2013, 15:23
You are very smart to go to the doctor. I hope all turns out well for you.....

FarmerChef
06-17-2013, 15:38
I sometimes get swollen hands after a long walk versus a long run. The difference being the elevation of my arms in running form and lower for walking.

Tennessee Viking
06-17-2013, 16:19
I get that way doing trail maintenance. Drink more water and get plenty of vitamins and supplements.

Drybones
06-17-2013, 20:40
I believe I must have pinched a nerve in my shoulder years ago doing toe raises at the gym with heavy weights on my shoulders, left arm would go numb and tingle every time I ran and when I used a computer. I still have some of the problem today but it has improved over time.

hikingshoes
06-19-2013, 16:30
Update: I did a mile on the treadmill this morning, no tingling nor hand swelling.

hikingshoes
07-08-2013, 06:44
According to the VA I had a abnormal nuclear stress 2 yrs ago. Why the VA didnt contact me I don't know but I'm a little pissed about it, this after I've section hiked 180 miles on the "AT" with only one time my arm was tingling so I'm waiting on a call from the VA to let me know what time I need to be in Atlanta this week for a heart Carth.
I hate posting something like this because I think a lot of hikes wouldn't want to hike with me due to this.

Don H
07-08-2013, 07:30
I wouldn't be concerned at all that others won't want to hike with you. What matters is that you take care of yourself.

I have a friend who attempted a thru a few years ago and started having chest pains in Erwin, TN. He had to get off and have some stents put in. He returned the next year and completed his thru.

Not Sunshine
07-08-2013, 07:47
I also hike with trekking poles because otherwise my hands swell. The swelling is always worse when I'm wearing a pack - which makes since because all those lymph node chains are in the arm pit areas. So to further "fix" this problem, I bought a tent that requires my trekking poles to keep it pitched and always take said poles with me. If my swelling gets bad enough, numbness occurs. Make sure your pack fits and your hip belt is snug - keeping the majority of that pack weight on your hips. Good luck!

hikingshoes
07-08-2013, 21:37
Update: no heart cath. This wk. doc. Wants to do a nuclear stress test since my last one is two yrs old. That been said I had some x-rays done on my back/ neck. Doc stated I had a lot of muscle spasms in my neck which could cause the tingling in my arm from time to time.

Wise Old Owl
07-08-2013, 21:41
You left out what medications you are taking - weather you are on High blood meds and cholesterol meds. please post again.

hikingshoes
07-09-2013, 09:40
You left out what medications you are taking - weather you are on High blood meds and cholesterol meds. please post again.
No high blood pressure meds, just a baby aspirin and just started taking niacin for my triglyceride