PDA

View Full Version : Trail Maintenance....Giving back to the Trail

coach lou
06-17-2013, 14:12
This past weekend my wife, Overload and I worked a work detail for the Massachusetts Section. After spending a few weekends in Mass last year and then getting a ride from a Co-worker of Cosmo. I communicated with Cosmo after all the storms we had and wanted to contribute. He gave me a schedule for 2013 work parties. This past weekend was the first one I was able to make. I had not been in that section yet so it worked out well for us. We hiked up to the Upper Goose Pond Cabin after work Friday, Saturday took day packs a few miles south and met the crew and spent 4/5 hours clearing brush and reblazing. Made it back in the late afternoon, and enjoyed the rest of the weekend.
It was a very rewarding day of work. All these years using the trail, and finally getting out and helping maintain it was something that I want to relay to my fellow Whiteblazers, that we should all spend some time and Give Back. Plus, in the process we walked 7 miles of trail that we hadn't yet. How many of us have walked along and thought...."look at this, this needs some work, or why is this like that, or ...gee, some one should do something about this". Well now I have a whole new look at that angle of the trail. I told Steve, the crew chief, to put me on the list.....I can't wait to get back out and work. One more thing that I was so surprised at was, during the day, as we worked, Thrus, sections, dayhikers all past by and thanked us for the work we were doing....EVERY one. I hadn't even thought of that, but it was very gratifying.
As a section hiker, I now plan to volunteer when ever I move on to hike in a new state.

hikerboy57
06-17-2013, 14:15
way to go lou!!!

rocketsocks
06-17-2013, 14:20
Thanks Coach, sounds like a plan!

Tipi Walter
06-17-2013, 14:21
Good post and thanks for the work. I have a few favorite trails which never seem to get maintained and so on my last 18 day trip I spent a full 7 days doing trailwork on a couple of them with a Corona folding saw and hand loppers. I just camped and worked, moved further up and camped and worked, etc.

I think maybe all backpackers should be required to carry a pair of hand pruners in one hand and their hiking pole in the other and clear the trail as they walk. There's no better feeling than backpacking thru briars and cutting them as you hike.

JaxHiker
06-17-2013, 14:21
Thanks for your work!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Mags
06-17-2013, 14:27
Did a stretch on The Colorado Trail myself this weekend up by Harvard Lakes in the Collegiates.

About 20 of us cleared blow downs, widened tread, pruned branches and so on on an ~16 mi stretch of the CT. Good to give back..and work in such a beautiful setting. :)

Tipi Walter
06-17-2013, 14:33
My trailwork comes from frustration and exasperation when I see my most favored trails left to rot---a 10 year blowdown becomes a 12 year blowdown. Unfortunately a single backpacker can't/won't hump a crosscut saw (wilderness area) and so he won't be able to touch the big stuff---but he can work around everything and clear 95% of the rest of the trail.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/Tipi-Walter-Upper-Slickrock/i-6M43BP7/0/L/TRIP%20145%20057-L.jpg
With these 3 tools a solo backpacker can almost completely clear a foot trail. If you're willing to hike a 100 feet, dump the pack, work the trail up and back, put on the pack and repeat for hours and hours. And then camp. The fun part is returning to the trail a week later on a backpacking trip and hiking the unimpeded trail you're just cleared. A year later it all grows back so have a party and do it again.

coach lou
06-17-2013, 14:38
My trailwork comes from frustration and exasperation when I see my most favored trails left to rot---a 10 year blowdown becomes a 12 year blowdown. Unfortunately a single backpacker can't/won't hump a crosscut saw (wilderness area) and so he won't be able to touch the big stuff---but he can work around everything and clear 95% of the rest of the trail.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/Tipi-Walter-Upper-Slickrock/i-6M43BP7/0/L/TRIP%20145%20057-L.jpg
With these 3 tools a solo backpacker can almost completely clear a foot trail. If you're willing to hike a 100 feet, dump the pack, work the trail up and back, put on the pack and repeat for hours and hours. And then camp. The fun part is returning to the trail a week later on a backpacking trip and hiking the unimpeded trail you're just cleared. A year later it all grows back so have a party and do it again.
It really hit me as we walked thru the return 2.5 mile that was clearly not touched this year.

MDSection12
06-17-2013, 14:41
Yup, I just got involved in trail work on my local mountain biking trails (sorry AT, but I spend a lot more time there) and it is very satisfying... Where I ride the work is mostly 'rock work.' Very cool, fun stuff. :)

Tipi Walter
06-17-2013, 14:59
The worst for me are hot direct sunlight brambled-choked trails---a hand pruner is puny when you need a weed wacker.

And going thru a rhodo tunnel that is collapsed with bigger blowdown trees on top of the rhodo---shoving all the stuff down horizontal and about 3 to 4 feet off the trail. It's a long chore to cut one rhodo branch, pull it out and discard off the trail, and repeat this about 7 or 8 times. And then you've only cleared about 15 feet of trail.

Driver8
06-17-2013, 15:05
Great work, Lou! Count me in for next time, so long as I don't have a conflict. When you headed out again - PM me if you prefer.

atmilkman
06-17-2013, 15:07
Nice work coach. Nothing like giving back. Feels good.

coach lou
06-17-2013, 15:07
Great work, Lou! Count me in for next time, so long as I don't have a conflict. When you headed out again - PM me if you prefer.

Your on Chris, they have to finish that bridge, they need a big bull like you!:)

Driver8
06-17-2013, 22:34
Your on Chris, they have to finish that bridge, they need a big bull like you!:)

Sounew like fun! Time frame? I plan to be in New Hampshire this weekend, not sure about the next. In N.H. third weekend in July. At the rate he's going, our buddy Oz should be coming through in a few weeks, gotta plan for that, too. :D

Driver8
06-17-2013, 22:35
Sounds* like fun, that is. ...

susiecruise
06-18-2013, 06:41
Thank-you!!!!!!!!!! Wish I could of been there, alas, I have been stuck inside these past five days

coach lou
06-18-2013, 09:33
I appreciate all your thanks folks, but, that is not what I posted this thread for. I'm really calling you all to get out and get to work for OUR trail..............the rewards are many!:sun