PDA

View Full Version : Amicalola Falls - Do they dry up?

marti038
06-17-2013, 14:27
Anyone know if the falls dry up late in the summer like Yosemite?

I know they don't run off snow melt being in North GA, but I'm hiking a section in early September and debating whether or not I want to hike from AF or just start at Springer. If the falls are basically non-existent it may be somewhat anti-climatic to bother hiking them.

Also, if any of you have experiece with Hiker Hostel do you know what time I could expect to be shuttled to the trailhead the morning after my stay?

Disclaimer: This is not a trick designed to stir up a debate about whether or not the approach trail should be included in an AT hike. In fact, I don't really want anyone's opinion regarding that topic. Just need to know if the falls are falling or trickling.

Hikes in Rain
06-17-2013, 15:36
Never heard about them drying up, even in the worst droughts. They're pretty impressive, even at low flows.

Malto
06-17-2013, 15:51
I have never see it dry though it does become somewhat of a trickle and not nearly as impressive during dry spells.

tawa
06-17-2013, 16:25
Wife and I were at Approach Trail/Springer area for a long weekend trip a couple of weeks ago and she was flowing heavy! Beautiful place to see and hike from reguardless of the time of yr.
Another time I hiked the stairs on January 1 and it was pouring down rain---and the falls were wild and beautiful.
One of my favorite places!

moytoy
06-17-2013, 17:30
Streams in the eastern mountains rarely dry up completely. I've never seen the Amicalola River dry and I've been going there since I was a child.

AmandaD
06-17-2013, 20:27
We were there last year in August (and just about six weeks ago) and they weren't dry.

Soulebrother
06-17-2013, 22:58
Hiker hostel is amazing, they dropped me off this year around 8 to 8:30

MkBibble
06-18-2013, 15:48
Hiker hostel is amazing, they dropped me off this year around 8 to 8:30 oops! I think maybe you were aiming at this thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?96124-Hiker-Hostel-Open&highlight=hostel

Ewok11
06-20-2013, 19:40
I'm only 30 but in my entire lifetime living in the area, I've never known them to dry up. Get low? Sure. Unless the rest of the summer is a complete bust for rain, I wouldn't anticipate low levels this September. The last I checked, everything in the area is running at or above full pool/high water level.