PDA

View Full Version : Cherokee Transit

Dogwood
06-17-2013, 19:19
Maybe this has been noted previously but Cherokee Transit, based in Cherokee NC south of Newfound Gap in GSMNP, no longer has the route that travels between Gatlinburg TN and Cherokee NC. You might need to hirth between the two towns for resupply, etc or try a shuttler. A walk In The Woods shuttles. ph: 865-436-8283

Lone Wolf
06-17-2013, 19:28
gatlinburg is an easy hitch. no need to pay for a shuttle

Dogwood
06-17-2013, 19:51
It was one of those days when the tourists wouldn't even look me in the eyes as I tried for more than an hr to hitch from Cherokee, and later Oconaluftee Visitor's Center, to Gatlinburg. Instead, took it the other way, which was a shorter distance, and got a ride to Silva in less than 3o mins. Also found out NOC is no longer in Bryson City and Happy Trails Hiking Outfitter is no longer in Gat. I could not find a isobutane canister in Cherokee. There is no longer an outfitter in Cherokee and after several days here I'm the ONLY PERSON I've seen with a backpack. I know I know all you alchy stovies are saying I should have went with an alchy stove. I had plenty of fuel planned for but I've been dodging the rain for almost two wks now so the additional boils have added dipped to my fuel usage

RED-DOG
06-18-2013, 07:43
I agree with lone Wolf, Gatlinburg is one of the easiest places to hitch in to no need to pay for Shuttle.

flemdawg1
06-18-2013, 16:03
It was one of those days when the tourists wouldn't even look me in the eyes as I tried for more than an hr to hitch from Cherokee, and later Oconaluftee Visitor's Center, to Gatlinburg. Instead, took it the other way, which was a shorter distance, and got a ride to Silva in less than 3o mins. Also found out NOC is no longer in Bryson City and Happy Trails Hiking Outfitter is no longer in Gat. I could not find a isobutane canister in Cherokee. There is no longer an outfitter in Cherokee and after several days here I'm the ONLY PERSON I've seen with a backpack. I know I know all you alchy stovies are saying I should have went with an alchy stove. I had plenty of fuel planned for but I've been dodging the rain for almost two wks now so the additional boils have added dipped to my fuel usage

No but there is the NOC Great Outpost in Gatlinburg, one of the biggest outfitter stores I've ever seen. Looks like you should've went North instead of South.

Also agree with Lone Wolf that NFG is a pretty easy spot to get a hitch. But you need to position yourself near the turn-in so not only the people coming and going but also people passing on 441 can stop for you too.

Dogwood
06-18-2013, 16:15
Read my post. I wasn't hitching from NFG. I know I would get a ride into Gat from there. I did know about NOC in GAT but thank you for the info. I went to Black Rock Outdoors in Silva NC. I went south and the hitch was easier.