PDA

View Full Version : hiking with puppy

sadiejane
07-23-2005, 00:03
My teenagers and I are hiking for about a week in West Virginia and northern Virginia. They would like to bring our 3 month old lab mix puppy. She is about 20 pounds, in good health, good personality, will be leashed. We'll carry her food and water. We have no need to go far or fast, so if she slows us down it's okay. Is this crazy? Would it be harmful to her growth and development? I'm having trouble finding good info on this.

bearbait2k4
07-23-2005, 06:51
I wouldn't think it would be completely harmful to go out for a week with a puppy, as long as you adhere to its needs, and you don't mind carrying the puppy for some of the trip.

Things to think about...

Is she trained, as far as going to the bathroom? When my puppy was three months old, she was still being potty trained. Of course, if you're willing to clean up/bury the messes, then this may not be a big deal.

Puppies like to sleep. A lot. This is probably where the carrying will come in, unless you're okay with stopping several times a day to let her nap for a while.

I don't know if it's a particularly bad season, but ticks can always be an issue through almost every part of the wilderness. Fleas, too. So, if you take her, keep that in mind and make sure you can check her often for them. Advantix or some other flea medicine would be a good idea.

Generally, running and playing is a vital part of a puppy's growth, so I don't think it would harm her to go out in the wilderness for a week, as long as you keep some of the above-mentioned aspects in mind. It may also be a good idea to get her some pad protection, like little booties, because they can get torn up pretty easily on rocks.

SGT Rock
07-23-2005, 06:59
Go to Uberpest's site. http://www.uberpest.com/. She has some good info on dogs and hiking. I would also suggest you read some of the other threads here about hiking with dogs so you understand how others view the practice. I ain't telling you not to take your dog, just that a lot of other hikers may not feel as friendly to your dog as you do:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2746&highlight=hiking+dogs
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6725&highlight=hiking+dogs
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4421&highlight=hiking+dogs
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=128&highlight=hiking+dogs

Trail Dog
07-23-2005, 07:56
Like it is said for humans, seek the advice of your doctor before undertaking any sort of physical activity. I would ask his vet, also be sure he has all his shots and tick protection. I plan to take my dog on my next trip, but he is going to have to undergo some sort of training before i take him, just to get him use to the wilderness and animals.

I would take the pup out on a day hike first before you do a week long trip. Just to get a feel for how he may act, when my dog was 3 months old he was afraid to cross the street and get in the car. The Trail would have given him some serious shakes.

rpettit
07-23-2005, 09:38
I have a lab mix. 5 months old 46 lbs. Loves the woods, but when he was 3 mos. old he slept quite a bit. The rest required by the puppy, in my opinion would be prohibitive to hiking any distance. When I took my dog to the state park he tired after 1/2 mile when he was that age. Also labs are not very tolerant of the heat, which would discourage me from attempting a summer hike. As so far as other hikers and dogs, stay out of shelters, crowded camping areas and keep him on a leash. I think that hiking with a dog is great as long as you respect other hikers.

Blue Jay
07-23-2005, 13:46
I ain't telling you not to take your dog, just that a lot of other hikers may not feel as friendly to your dog as you do

SGT Rock is being his usual kind self. I'll tell you, DON'T TAKE YOUR DOG. You have not a clue as to how he'll react to any one of a million things that could happen. Therefore every single human you meet will be a guinea pig for your pleasure and their pain. You are at the very least a fool playing with a loaded dog gun. More likely just a one post troll, go away.

Moxie00
07-23-2005, 15:18
Please don't try to stay in shelters with a puppy. I could go on for hours why but a 3 month old dog can't be socialized enough not to bother other hikers. Bad behaving dogs are one of the worse experiences of a thru hike. Untrained dogs jump on tents, beg from anyone with food, pee on sleeping bags, (the smell of a thru hikers bag is a dog pee magnet) and poop on the campsite. Well behaved and socialized dogs are a joy to be with on the trail. I've hiked with both and I can't believe a three month old puppy is "trail ready". Just consider your fellow hikers.

Lone Wolf
07-23-2005, 15:38
3 month old pup? Nope. Bad idea.

Footslogger
07-23-2005, 15:51
Think about the puppy's needs ...not yours, when it comes to being out on the trail. Is hiking all day "natural" for a puppy (or any dog for that matter) ??

I've seen dogs on the trail that seem to be having a good time because they are seeing new sights, smelling new smells and trying to please their masters. But in the end (other than day/weekend hikes) most dogs don't fare too well.

Notice I said MOST. Some dogs do fine. Yours might be one of them. I would say just take the dog's well being into account before you take it out there.

'Slogger

NICKTHEGREEK
07-23-2005, 18:57
I have some past experience with retrievers and 3 months is just about 4 months too soon. Most will still have pretty soft pads and foot problems in swimming dogs are common on rocky ground. This is a discovery age for dogs and they get into way too much at this age. Everything requires a good long sniff and a taste. Remember a pup won't walk a straight line for 5 feet, if you go a mile the dog probably walked 3. Wait for next year, when the dog is stronger and well trained.

Don't pay attention to anyone who insists that dogs don't belong on the trail, it's just plain ignorant of them.

NICKTHEGREEK
07-23-2005, 19:00
SGT Rock is being his usual kind self. I'll tell you, DON'T TAKE YOUR DOG. You have not a clue as to how he'll react to any one of a million things that could happen. Therefore every single human you meet will be a guinea pig for your pleasure and their pain. You are at the very least a fool playing with a loaded dog gun. More likely just a one post troll, go away.
Words of wisdom, unfortunately too many words, and far too little wisdom.

FatMan
07-23-2005, 19:45
Your puppy is way too young for a week hiking trip. Its not to early to start gettin her aclimated to hiking trails by taking short day hikes. Your 3 month old pup is not physically capable, nor mentally capable to spend longer periods on the trails.

saimyoji
07-23-2005, 20:46
How about taking your pup for a stint in the woods, but not on the trail? There are ways to acclimate your pet to the woods and things it may encounter without forcing it to do 100 miles or so hiking. Try car camping for a few days. Do some day hikes while you're at it, see how it does. There are many camp sites that allow pets.

Keep this in mind: what if y'all are all set for a weeks hike, but the pup just doesn't want to cooperate? I'm acclimating my daughter in much the same way: ease her into it.

BTW: You said you and your teenagers will be hiking....who will be carrying this little puppy's gear?

DMA, 2000
07-23-2005, 21:15
Bearbait brings to mind an interesting question:

Do you really want to carry in your pack a dog who is not potty trained? I knew a guy who got a puppy during trail days, against the advice of others. A few miles out of Damascus, the thing could hardly walk. He made a nice bed for it on his pack and tried to walk on, but the dog was motion sick and vomited over everything. So, he retreated to Damascus and returned the dog.

stupe
07-23-2005, 23:20
Three months is too young, I think. Even though it's nine in dog months.

saimyoji
07-23-2005, 23:35
Riiiiiight....and at NINE months my little girl was ready to walk on the trail for a week.....NOT:datz

newhampshire camper
07-24-2005, 19:46
WHAT IS IT WITH PEOPLE WANTING TO BRING THEIR DOGS ON LONG DISTANCE HIKES!!! IN THIS CASE....TOO YOUNG, TOO UNSOCIALIZED, TOO MANY THINGS TO KEEP AN EYE ON. THINK OF IT FROM A DOGS POINT OF VIEW, ALL HE IS TRYING TO DO IS PLEASE HIS PACK LEADER(YOU) AND THEY WILL BEAT THE LIVING HELL OUT OF THEMSELVES TO DO IT BECAUSE IT IS IN A DOGS NATURE NOT TO SHOW WEAKNESS. KEEP THAT IN MIND WHEN YOUR DOG LOOKS TO YOU LIKE HE IS ENJOYING HIMSELF. JUST REMEMBER THIS IS YOUR HIKE NOT THE DOG'S. DON'T GET ME WRONG, I HAVE 3 DOGS AND I DO BRING THEM ON DAY OUTINGS BUT LONG DISTANCE IS REALLY TOO MUCH FOR MOST DOGS TO HANDLE. MOST OF MY OTHER POINTS HAVE BEEN COVERED ALREADY SO I WON'T BE REDUNDANT. 3MONTHS IS TOOOOO YOUNG...LEAVE THE PUP HOME....
BUT I WISH YOU LUCK IN WHATEVER YOU DECIDE....:banana

Skyline
07-24-2005, 21:34
I love dogs, and take my own lab mix out for five-or-fewer day backpacking trips (nothing longer). But three months is TOO young. Six months is probably borderline.

You really should do some dayhikes with your dog once he reaches about five or six months and gradually acclimate him to more. Throwing a three-month-old dog into a week-long hike is just cruel. And you're doing this in the summer? With the heat and humidity we've been having? Double-cruel.

TakeABreak
07-25-2005, 06:19
I like dogs, but long distance hiking trails was put there for all the people not pets. Leave it at home, if you can not be without the dog then stay home with it. Others will appreciate it.

bailyrosco
07-25-2005, 06:52
Puppy's in general and Lab's especially need time for there hips to get strong and there bones to harden. A hike or any extreme activity is dangerous to your puppy’s longevity. If you read puppy training manuals they will tell you to limit excessive exercise to include swimming and running and jumping until they are at least 6 months old. You might want to do more research before taking this leap with you best friend.

Spirit Walker
07-25-2005, 09:22
If your dog is not leash trained and voice command trained - you don't want him out there. If you let the dog off the leash, it will run, chasing after squirrels, deer, and whatever smells and noises catch his attention. It will likely cry and bark all night, if it is tied up outside your tent. If it is inside your tent - how well is it housetrained? It will still bark at every noise. Do you need sleep? You won't get it. That's not to mention the already mentioned issue of feet, growing bones and lack of muscle coordination. Then there is the heat issue -

Wait until your dog is leash trained, then take it on dayhikes. Try an overnight trip when you are sure it will obey you (and keep it on a leash). Until then, leave it at home.

Big Dawg
07-25-2005, 09:34
Puppy's in general and Lab's especially need time for there hips to get strong and there bones to harden. A hike or any extreme activity is dangerous to your puppy’s longevity. If you read puppy training manuals they will tell you to limit excessive exercise to include swimming and running and jumping until they are at least 6 months old. You might want to do more research before taking this leap with you best friend.

Yea,, my 5 yr old lab messed up her knee when she was 3 mo. old b/c she thought she could keep up w/ her big sis (now 9&1/2 yrs old),,, big sis was a frisbee catching fool back then, & we were playing in the back yard, & lil pup took off (to my surprise) to challenge big sis on catching the frisbee,,, she caught it & must have come down wrong & hurt her knee,,,, Doc said because her bones weren't hardened/muscles not strong enough yet. She had surgery when she was a yr old,, but never really completely recovered. So, SadieJane, from all the responses so far,,, you see the picture,,, no hikes now for lil one,,,,,,, later, definately,,, labs love the woods----just be respectful of others. Enjoy your hike! :)

neo
07-25-2005, 20:50
my puppy goes every were i go:cool: neo

Chip
07-25-2005, 21:42
Yea,, my 5 yr old lab messed up her knee when she was 3 mo. old b/c she thought she could keep up w/ her big sis (now 9&1/2 yrs old),,, big sis was a frisbee catching fool back then, & we were playing in the back yard, & lil pup took off (to my surprise) to challenge big sis on catching the frisbee,,, she caught it & must have come down wrong & hurt her knee,,,, Doc said because her bones weren't hardened/muscles not strong enough yet. She had surgery when she was a yr old,, but never really completely recovered. So, SadieJane, from all the responses so far,,, you see the picture,,, no hikes now for lil one,,,,,,, later, definately,,, labs love the woods----just be respectful of others. Enjoy your hike! :)
Great reply James, I agree, a 3 month old pup is too young.

I did not take my dogs out on the trail for backpacks until they were a year old. I start training them at 5 months and for the trail at 9 months. Short day hikes at first and later all day hikes as they grew to be over a year old. Dogs need time to develop both physically and mentally to handle the outdoors and to be trained. There are some good books to read in regards to hiking with dogs you might want to read up on this subject.
Best Wishes and happy trails,
Chip :)