PDA

View Full Version : Sages Ravine - Race Brook Falls MA

3snakesandafrog
06-18-2013, 12:20
New member here, have been enjoying the information from this site fo a few years now though. Re-discovered back packing over past two years and loving it.
Heading out this Saturday for a hike with a group of scouts in tow NOBO starting at AMC trail at Sages Ravine to Everet, then back down and out via Race Brook Falls Access Trail.
Has anyone been through there over past few days since heavy rains? Interested in safe water crossing etc at Sages crossing and Race Brook crossing. Any input is appreciated.
Thanks

tiptoe
06-18-2013, 12:38
I'd like to hike in this area sometime soon, too. The falls should be spectacular with all the drenching rain we've been getting.

coach lou
06-18-2013, 12:44
22133 Racebrook NO Falls last July , on a day hike w/ Driver 8

Driver8
06-18-2013, 13:09
Has anyone been through there over past few days since heavy rains? Interested in safe water crossing etc at Sages crossing and Race Brook crossing. Any input is appreciated.
Thanks

I was out there weekend before last. Fording Sages Brook was not easy, but doable. Unless it rains big in the next few days, the water will be much lower and should be fine. Probably won't get your feet wet.

Two tips:

1. Just past Laurel Ridge Camp ground, maybe a mile past the Sages crossing, is Bear Rock Falls to the right of the trail, in an area labeled "no camping." Very pretty, though be careful around the cliffs.

2. On the Race Brook descent, when you make the left turn away from the brook just after the log bridge crossing, I recommend you divert right of the trail, staying straight along the brook. Cross the brook on the rocks upstream of the cliff, which you can't miss. On the far bank, scramble down the bank to see the topmost of the 6 falls. It's maybe 14' tall.

Back to the trail, maybe 0.4 later you will cross below the second-highest of the falls, both in elevation and height. From here, if you divert from the main trail and scramble down along the right bank (there are red blazes to follow in places, as this is a trail), you will take in the other four falls, which are lovely. Highly recommended, though the trek down for the lower four falls is rough going - I've only done it on the ascent. It's one of my favorite trails, and I've climbed it maybe 7 times in the past three years.

If you take the main trail down, you miss the lower four falls.

coach lou
06-18-2013, 13:15
I knew you would jump on this one, with all the deets!:D

Driver8
06-18-2013, 13:18
I knew you would jump on this one, with all the deets!:D

:D Love those mountains!

To the OP: it's important to keep in mind that the southern Taconics are known for rattlesnakes. I've personally not seen one in those hills in about 20 hikes, but many others have. The places of particular concern are the exposed rocks on the high ridgelines - Race and Everett, particularly. Just keep your eyes peeled.

coach lou
06-18-2013, 13:47
:D Love those mountains!

To the OP: it's important to keep in mind that the southern Taconics are known for rattlesnakes. I've personally not seen one in those hills in about 20 hikes, but many others have. The places of particular concern are the exposed rocks on the high ridgelines - Race and Everett, particularly. Just keep your eyes peeled.
Nor have I, and I've been going up there since I was a scout. I haven't seen a bear in New Jersey, either. The next time I go down there, I'm going to wear a pork chop around my neck!:D

3snakesandafrog
06-18-2013, 13:52
Thanks still looking for current reports of crossings. Been through this stretch a few times over last two years. Scouting safety policy has some pretty specific rules on fording waterways.

Tom Murphy
06-18-2013, 14:01
You could try contacting the AMC. Isn't the Sage Ravine camp site adminstered by them?

IMO the ravine is the tougher crossing of the two.

3snakesandafrog
06-18-2013, 14:13
Any contact info for AMC there? Think its CT section?

You could try contacting the AMC. Isn't the Sage Ravine camp site adminstered by them?

IMO the ravine is the tougher crossing of the two.

Driver8
06-18-2013, 15:35
Thanks still looking for current reports of crossings. Been through this stretch a few times over last two years. Scouting safety policy has some pretty specific rules on fording waterways.

I gave you a fairly current crossing report - was there 10 days ago after the tropical storm, which was the heaviest of it. Unless it rains a lot between now and your hike, the crossing will be fine, unlikely to wet your boots. As to the Sages Crossing, it it's too high, you can work around it if need be. Cross on the log bridge to Sages Campsite, then hike through the campsite and catch the old road to the north, which runs parallel to the A.T. Take a right on the road and rejoin the A.T. in about half a mile.

Driver8
06-18-2013, 15:43
P.S.: This is a good map of the area, courtesy the U.S.G.S. topo collection at the University of New Hampshire. The crossing to Sages Campsite, which I believe was built after this map was made, is located about where the PP's are in Appalachian, between Sages and Ravine.

Driver8
06-18-2013, 15:44
Sorry, here's the link: http://docs.unh.edu/MA/bash49sw.jpg

3snakesandafrog
06-18-2013, 16:53
Thanks Driver8
[
QUOTE=Driver8;1488553]I gave you a fairly current crossing report - was there 10 days ago after the tropical storm, which was the heaviest of it. Unless it rains a lot between now and your hike, the crossing will be fine, unlikely to wet your boots. As to the Sages Crossing, it it's too high, you can work around it if need be. Cross on the log bridge to Sages Campsite, then hike through the campsite and catch the old road to the north, which runs parallel to the A.T. Take a right on the road and rejoin the A.T. in about half a mile.[/QUOTE]

Driver8
06-18-2013, 16:55
You're welcome, 3snakes! I love Sages - such a rare and beautiful place.

Driver8
06-18-2013, 17:01
PS, 3snakes: Welcome to White Blaze! Lots of good info here and tons of fellow hikers. Coach Lou and I are but two of several CT hikers active here. Lots from all over New England.

susiecruise
06-18-2013, 20:08
I have hiked this trail many timess and have never had a problem with the Race Brook stream crossings. Sometimes you get wet. Having the treking poles makes all the differennce. The falls can run hard and fast and then quiet down after a few days. We've had A LOT of rain but it is forcast to stop at the end of the week. Sages Ravine may be a different story. Should be spetacular!

Driver8
06-19-2013, 02:32
P.S.: I can't give a crossing report, per se, for the upper falls crossing on Race Brook Falls Trail, but having crossed it on numerous days in a range of conditions, I'd be surprised if it would be a problem in current conditions. I'd think you'd need a full-on Irene scenario to cause a problem at any of the three crossings of Race Brook - the log bridge up top, the crossing below the upper main falls at about 1450', and the bottom walk-across. That lowest one would be the most prone to a problem if any. The work-around would be to stay on the stream's south bank on herd paths a couple hundred yards to the parking lot of the Race Brook Inn. From there, a short road walk to the proper trailhead parking.

Migrating Bird
06-19-2013, 06:52
I concur with Driver8, the drainage for Sages and Race Brook are not that large so a couple of nice days ahead and you should be fine, if the crossing at SR is dicy, then backtrack to the Sages campsite as Driver8 described. I'd be more concerned the kids horsing around on the cliffs.
I have seen 5 rattlesnakes in the area on various hikes, the most recent was last summer right on South Street near the red house just before the AMC hut parking. Nothing to be concerned about just be aware of and do not disturb. All I have seen have been very docile and I felt fortunate to see them. The photo of the coiled snake was spooked by a deer that had just run down the trail in front of me. I have friends that have hike the area for 20 years and have never seen one.

coach lou
06-19-2013, 07:01
I concur with Driver8, the drainage for Sages and Race Brook are not that large so a couple of nice days ahead and you should be fine, if the crossing at SR is dicy, then backtrack to the Sages campsite as Driver8 described. I'd be more concerned the kids horsing around on the cliffs.
I have seen 5 rattlesnakes in the area on various hikes, the most recent was last summer right on South Street near the red house just before the AMC hut parking. Nothing to be concerned about just be aware of and do not disturb. All I have seen have been very docile and I felt fortunate to see them. The photo of the coiled snake was spooked by a deer that had just run down the trail in front of me. I have friends that have hike the area for 20 years and have never seen one.

Wow, you are indeed lucky. I have been up there on that ridge more times than I can count and never seen one. I work games at the Berkshire School and I know the kids are not allowed to go in certain areas because of them.....but like I said......never seen not one, not even a shed!:(

susiecruise
06-19-2013, 11:54
The real caution in this area is getting too close to the edge of the falls or the edge of the ravine. Every year someone takes a fall and gets injured ( very often seriously injured) by getting too close to steep edges when its slick.

Driver8
06-19-2013, 13:31

Thanks for sharing your pics, MB. It was you who saw a rattler on the road last summer - was trying to remember. Was that the really hot, dry day Lou and I hiked from Sages to the Race's cliffs and, unwittingly, crossed paths with you just south of the Race Brook Falls Trail junction? Is my memory in working order?

tiptoe
06-24-2013, 14:31
Yesterday, my son, my husky, and I hiked from from the Race Falls parking area up to the AT, across Mt. Everett, and down the Elbow trail. The first part of the hike was really sweaty and buggy, but the falls were beautiful. Blue the dog did really well for an old guy (12-13 yrs.). We took frequent breaks, to be sure. So now I'm curious why there are two shelters right next to each other just north of Mt. Everett. Both are nicely situated with plenty of space for camping, both have water and good privies.

Driver8
06-24-2013, 15:00
Yesterday, my son, my husky, and I hiked from from the Race Falls parking area up to the AT, across Mt. Everett, and down the Elbow trail. The first part of the hike was really sweaty and buggy, but the falls were beautiful. Blue the dog did really well for an old guy (12-13 yrs.). We took frequent breaks, to be sure. So now I'm curious why there are two shelters right next to each other just north of Mt. Everett. Both are nicely situated with plenty of space for camping, both have water and good privies.

I bet they're old CCC outposts or the like. There's a lot of traffic in the area, so I imagine they're wells used. Hemlocks is a nice shelter.

tiptoe
06-24-2013, 15:17
Hemlocks is very nice, and definitely the newer of the two. Glen Brook has a metal roof. Neither dates to the CCC, according to http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?3992-The-Hemlocks-Shelter-(and-privy).

Driver8
06-24-2013, 16:14
May the two are together b/c of the popularity of the place and the proximity to Guilder Pond.

Migrating Bird
06-24-2013, 19:20
Thanks for sharing your pics, MB. It was you who saw a rattler on the road last summer - was trying to remember. Was that the really hot, dry day Lou and I hiked from Sages to the Race's cliffs and, unwittingly, crossed paths with you just south of the Race Brook Falls Trail junction? Is my memory in working order?

Yes, I was heading north, coming down off the short ledge just south of the trail to Race Brook Campsite.

Cosmo
06-26-2013, 21:49
Use is very intense between Sages and Glen Brook. Lots of groups and weekenders, so we want to provide a lot of overnight options. Shelters and campsites need to be near reliable water sources and a reasonable distance away from road access. No reliable water north of Glen Brook, so that's why we put the Hemlocks there. We like to see groups/tents at Glen Brook and other hikers at Hemlocks.

Cosmo

May the two are together b/c of the popularity of the place and the proximity to Guilder Pond.

Driver8
06-27-2013, 00:55
Thanks for following up, Cosmo. Love that area of the trail.

tiptoe
06-27-2013, 12:19
Yes, thanks for the explanation.

Cosmo
06-28-2013, 21:11
Yes, thanks for the explanation.
There is method to our madness (mostly).

Cosmo