PDA

View Full Version : Mouse trap record

Drybones
06-18-2013, 12:29
A lot of hikers carry mouse traps to set in the shelters at night, I was wondering what the most caught in one night might be, most I saw this spring was 6, caught at Orchard Shelter.

Sailing_Faith
06-18-2013, 12:51
Might include tasty recipes in this thread too.

hikerboy57
06-18-2013, 12:58
i met artemus gordon this spring, had trapped 8 mice one night.

tawa
06-18-2013, 13:23
Reminds me of a trip a couple of yrs ago with a hiking bud name George. January at Trey Mt--very cold and light snow. Found three mouse traps at Tray Mt Shelter in GA. Believe he ended up taking out six or more that night. Sounded like a race track with mice running around and traps going off and George counting his kills!! lol
Told a lady about it later and she gave me a p----ed off look and said I didnt think we were suppose to kill the wildlife!! lol
You just gotta love it!

MDSection12
06-18-2013, 13:26
I thought the shelters were the mouse traps... :-?

4Bears
06-18-2013, 13:45

I think a song something like "Shelter mice roasting on an alcohol stove, oh the smell wafting up your nose.".... 1) I suppose if one packed in an onion, a potato, a few mushrooms, maybe a green pepper, and a couple wood skewers, kabobs would be possible. 2) fried well done with some ramps, in a small skillet, then served on toast points with a bit of wasabi. 3) Lightly browned, then cooked in a hunters stew, served with a side of instant mashed, or rice. 4) save for the morning and fry and serve with eggs.

Tipi Walter
06-18-2013, 13:57
Reminds me of a trip a couple of yrs ago with a hiking bud name George. January at Trey Mt--very cold and light snow. Found three mouse traps at Tray Mt Shelter in GA. Believe he ended up taking out six or more that night. Sounded like a race track with mice running around and traps going off and George counting his kills!! lol
Told a lady about it later and she gave me a p----ed off look and said I didnt think we were suppose to kill the wildlife!! lol
You just gotta love it!

Not to sound like a paranoid informant, but what is the wildlife rule with mice?? Is there one? To PETA, yeah. What about the forest service?

Odd Man Out
06-18-2013, 14:01
Are you looking for the supported or unsupported record?

Rasty
06-18-2013, 14:03
You just gotta love it!

Not to sound like a paranoid informant, but what is the wildlife rule with mice?? Is there one?

Open season on mice throughout the country. Rats also.

Ktaadn
06-18-2013, 14:17

I wouldn't eat the mice. No way they are healthy after living off of all that hiker food.

moldy
06-18-2013, 14:28
Most hikers do not carry mouse traps. It won't have any impact on the mouse population. They live in the shelters because we make a space for them and feed them. The good thing about shelter mice is that they make for more empty space in the shelters by frightening away some hikers who are fearful of them chewing on equipment or giving them some illness from the bacteria on mice poop, or they fear the mice themselves. We have never been able to do anything about them. People who bring mousetraps to set in shelters are doing it not as a public service but to provide themselves with amusement by killing some little creatures. Same kinda folks who run over squirrels on purpose.

mtntopper
06-18-2013, 15:29
sail rabbits for sale. 3 for a dollar

tawa
06-18-2013, 16:38
Good luck convincing me that killing a mouse in a shelter is anywhere near running over a squirrel! lol How far u want to carry that thinking--house flys--ants-mosquitoes--ticks! Its not a macho thing to me but yep u bet I will continue to kill shelter mice unless they want to agree to leave my sleeping and packing gear alone.
Mice just do what mice do and Tawa just does what Tawa does.

Captain Blue
06-18-2013, 16:49
I got 11 mice one night in Vandeventer Shelter. The 11th one was covered in fleas so I quit. There was more there to catch that night.

MDSection12
06-18-2013, 16:50
Good luck convincing me that killing a mouse in a shelter is anywhere near running over a squirrel! lol How far u want to carry that thinking--house flys--ants-mosquitoes--ticks! Its not a macho thing to me but yep u bet I will continue to kill shelter mice unless they want to agree to leave my sleeping and packing gear alone.Mice just do what mice do and Tawa just does what Tawa does.Funny you mention ticks; mice are one of the main ways Lyme is transferred between ticks...

tawa
06-18-2013, 16:52
I'm going to nominate Captain Blue for the Whiteblaze PETA offender of the month award!!*** lol

Water Rat
06-18-2013, 19:18
Open season on mice throughout the country. Rats also.

Wait a minute! Is that why everyone was chasing me down the trail?!

rickb
06-18-2013, 20:04
Magnet posted this inches gallery.

Rasty
06-18-2013, 20:58
I'm going to nominate Captain Blue for the Whiteblaze PETA offender of the month award!!*** lol

People Eating Tasty Animals!

Lone Wolf
06-18-2013, 21:00
Wait a minute! Is that why everyone was chasing me down the trail?!

ummmmmm......never mind

Sailing_Faith
06-18-2013, 21:04

That is truly disturbing.... What on earth are we looking at here?

rickb
06-18-2013, 21:17
What on earth are we looking at here?

Its a mother mouse moving one of her pups.

Beautiful, really.

Dogwood
06-18-2013, 21:33
I've negotiated a treaty with da mices. I'll share 1/2 an energy bar...hidden in the opposite corner of a AT shelter rafter and they've agreed to not chew holes in my packs or wander across my face in the middle of the night dragging their mousy arses across my goatee. So far PETA approves.

Different Socks
06-18-2013, 23:37
Did the trail in 1992. In one of the shelters in VA, a couple of local yahoos showed up and set up two traps. No sooner did the lights go out that the trap to my right goes SNAP! Couldn't have been 30 seconds. One of the guys threw the rodent in the hot coals of the fire ring. Mouse 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 all were caught within 10 min, three of those in the same trap by me.
After 45 min and 16 mice dead, the yahoos gave up b/c they got tired of getting out of their bags to dispose of them.

shelb
06-18-2013, 23:42
OMG... Mice catching themselves!!!

Drybones
06-19-2013, 08:18
I've negotiated a treaty with da mices. I'll share 1/2 an energy bar...hidden in the opposite corner of a AT shelter rafter and they've agreed to not chew holes in my packs or wander across my face in the middle of the night dragging their mousy arses across my goatee. So far PETA approves.

PETA approves this message.

Drybones
06-19-2013, 08:20
People Eating Tasty Animals!

.....needs garlic!

atraildreamer
06-19-2013, 09:40

Here you go :eek::banana:

http://rense.com/general27/ram.htm

Rat And Mouse Recipe

Mice aren't that bad.

Especially not with chiles and tortillas! It's all how you look at them.

When the big crash hits, you're going to drool for any extra mice running around your house.

RECIPE FOR "Enchiladas El Mouse-o EN EL HOUSE-O":

6 corn tortillas
6 mice parboiled, stripped, boned, chopped, seasoned.
2-3 large red dried chiles soaked in water 5 min.
l chopped green onion,
cilantro for decorating.
oil/onions. salt pepper to taste,

Make regular enchilada sauce by grinding the soaked chiles in the pot liquor, and straining well to separate the chile skin from the chile's red meat.

Then, fry onions, throw sauce in for l minute. Set aside.

Heat tortillas on a greased skillet, drop into sauce until covered, pull out, then fill the sopping wet tortilla with about 2 tbsps. mouseburger, roll.
Set rolls in a dish, line all six up.
Pour remaining sauce on top.
Decorate with any old cheese,
l chopped green onion. Bake l5 min at 350.
---------------------
SHEPHERD's PIE

Not every shepherd can dice a lamb every time his belly rumbles.

So many have learned to make do with DICED FIELD MICE:

Take 4 potatoes, boil, mash, season, add cream, mash some more, line 8" pieshell with them.

Boil six medium sized mice. Rats are ok if you know what they've been eating.

No Buick upholstery or graveyards.

If the rodents are the right size, you should have a cup of rat meat (depending if you've cleaned the carcasses well enough.)

Season with salt, pepper, cayenne,

add l cup blanched, chopped almonds,

l cup cracker crumbs,
l egg, (reserve l tsp for topping)

making a burger:

OPTIONAL: bell pepper, onions, cilantro, parsley, thyme, oregano,

1 can creamed corn,
1 can of those crunchy chinese things,
water chestnuts,
chopped olives,
a dash of catsup or tomato sauce.

Fill the pie.

Cover with more potatoes.

Use egg/cream to wipe down pie so it toasts brownish in oven.

Remember, a rabbit is just a big rodent.

The taste of the flesh is identical.

TIP: when cooking rodents, pre-soaking up to 5 hours helps take away that pesky rodent flavor.

AND the longer you cook it, with the other ingredients, the better the meat tastes

Sailing_Faith
06-19-2013, 09:52
Its a mother mouse moving one of her pups.

Beautiful, really.

I thought it might be "mice at Valley Forge".... :o

Pedaling Fool
06-19-2013, 10:15
Did the trail in 1992. In one of the shelters in VA, a couple of local yahoos showed up and set up two traps. No sooner did the lights go out that the trap to my right goes SNAP! Couldn't have been 30 seconds. One of the guys threw the rodent in the hot coals of the fire ring. Mouse 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 all were caught within 10 min, three of those in the same trap by me.
After 45 min and 16 mice dead, the yahoos gave up b/c they got tired of getting out of their bags to dispose of them.That's why God gave us tents:)

Mr. Bumpy
06-19-2013, 10:17
About a dozen or so years ago I rolled up on the hog back ridge shelter and found 8 or 10 dead mice all sitting in the logs facing the fire ring. That was about the time that the inflatable alien was hanging out in the privy. Hmmm.

coach lou
06-19-2013, 12:30
22142.....................:d

q-tip
06-20-2013, 09:47
I may be the only one who think this way, but these are little lives and little spirits, if you don't like shelter mice, stay in a tent.

MDSection12
06-20-2013, 10:18
I may be the only one who think this way, but these are little lives and little spirits, if you don't like shelter mice, stay in a tent.

If that's the case then so are bugs... I'd bet you don't allow roaches to take up shelter in your home. :rolleyes:

The issue here is that we have created an unnatural source of food (our scraps or even our food bags if not carefully stored) and so the populations of mice we see in shelter sites are not there naturally, but because of us. This throws off the total balance of the ecosystem, especially since mice are generally the disease carriers of the forest (as I said previously, Lyme being a major example.)

Also I don't stay in shelters and mice are still a problem for me. The past few times I've been out I've seen at least one mouse in camp each night... One of them actually made a run for my food bag but the rustling of the bag alerted me and I scared him off.

I'm not gonna take mouse traps myself, but I'm certainly not going to cry about those that do either. :)

atraildreamer
06-20-2013, 10:29
You gotta develop the attitude that this guy has:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKMBk3js7e0

:banana:banana:banana

coach lou
06-20-2013, 10:41

:eek:............................................. .:D That is funny!

perrymk
06-20-2013, 11:51
FREE FOR KINDLE 6/20

The Mouse Hunting Manual: The Complete Guide To Killing Mice With Over 27 Deadly Techniques
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D3ZJ5YQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8

Drybones
06-20-2013, 12:10

You could lighten your pack weight...a mouse trap is lighter than carrying food...was pretty funny.

Drybones
06-20-2013, 12:15

I somewhat agree... I dont kill anything without a reason, even insects. There is a reason to kill mice, and insects, if they're in my home or in my temporary home...aka shelter, which I avoid as much as possible. You have to admit they're cute little buggers.

Hikes in Rain
06-20-2013, 12:48
FREE FOR KINDLE 6/20

The Mouse Hunting Manual: The Complete Guide To Killing Mice With Over 27 Deadly Techniques

Now that's cool! May be your best find yet!

MDSection12
06-20-2013, 12:52
You have to admit they're cute little buggers.

No I don't. :p

They just look like little petri dishes to me. :eek:

rocketsocks
06-20-2013, 14:22
who says "white mouse ain't got GAME"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=t8XZ-_EgWB8&feature=endscreen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=t8XZ-_EgWB8&feature=endscreen

1azarus
06-20-2013, 17:04
FREE FOR KINDLE 6/20

...it is an Amaz(ing) thing when Amaz(on) offers such a useful reference for free!!! This free book deserves its own thread, just as all other public interest free kindle books are noted in their own thread.

Great find!:) kudos, perrymk, for your informative post!

Whack-a-mole
06-22-2013, 19:55
I might have the "flip-flop" method record...-that's how I got my trail name! No- I don't run over squirrels, unless they don't move.....