PDA

View Full Version : Places to buy/try out gear

arrowdog
06-18-2013, 12:39
I have recently become slightly obsessed about hiking and the AT. I don't have any specialized hiking gear yet. I am looking for a place to buy/try out things like backpacks. There is an REI close by that I will be going to. Are there any other retailers that carry these things to try out in the store? I hate to buy a pack online only to have it fit poorly or be too big/small/heavy.
Thanks,
Norm

Nutbrown
06-18-2013, 12:45
Almost any outfitter will have rental gear, and usually high quality gear. Head to one of those, REI included, and start trying things on. They can pack them full of weight, and you can see how they will feel. Shop around for a bit with a heavy pack on.

Durtydan
06-18-2013, 12:50
ems. eastern mountain sports is another major, yet smaller, retailer that handles a lot of great hiking gear and usually the staff knows what they're talking about. plenty of big name packs in there that you can try out and walk around with.

Feral Bill
06-18-2013, 13:16
Moosejaw in Lansing had a huge on-line selection. I don't know about their store but it would be worth a call.

jeffmeh
06-18-2013, 13:39
By all means go check out gear where you can. Just bear in mind that there are many cottage manufacturers that make excellent gear that you will never see in the major stores, particularly light or ultralight gear that is well-suited for a thru-hike.