PDA

View Full Version : Input solicited re state highpointing road trip

Odometer
06-18-2013, 16:16
Beginning later this month, will be doing a 3-4 week road trip to bag up to 13 state highpoints, but would like to break up the driving with some overnighters on trails we might be near, with even 2-3 day outings on a trail if possible. The general route will take us through OH, IN, MI, WI, MN, IL, IA, NE, OK, NM, TX, AR, MS, bagging the geographical high point of each. I know--not very exciting, but I've completed the other state highpoints west of the Mississippi, except for AK. I'd like to hear suggestions for short backpacking trips on the Buckeye Trail, Pictured Rocks, Ice Age, etc. etc.,, on or near our driving route. Prefer minimum of road walking, good trailhead parking, and 2-20 miles of backcountry hiking trail. I know this is somewhat wide open, but you all are a bright bunch with vast hiking experience, and I know you have some favorite spots you can recommend! Thank you!

I have 33 state highpoints now + these 13 + 3 later on (DE, CT, RI) would make 49. Our section hike of the CDT is on hold this summer, as Gutsy is recuperating from a knee injury.

Odometer and Gutsy

The Solemates
06-18-2013, 16:36
OH is the middle of a parking lot behind a beauty parlor. youre only bet is to do the buckeye trail along the way.

IN is in the middle of a corn field, and I doubt there are any trails in the area. Down South (a long ways from the HP), you could consider the Knobstone Trail.

MI aint got much either, but a hike along the bay in L'Anse is nice. there is a state park nearby too.

The WI HP has the ice age trail that connects to it, and there is a smaller county trail in the area too. Do a little research and you could certainly find some backcountry trail over whatever length you want to incorporate. You may need a shuttle.

IL has an old rails to trail bike system that I think may be near the area that goes all the way east to chicago. Grand IL trail its called. There also may be a MS River trail.

IA aint got nuthin. The HP is in someone's backyard.

NE - thats a long way from the other HPs. Got nuthin and one of the most isolated HPs.

OK - awesome area and once you get up on the Mesa I'm fairly certain you can link some trails together but I'm not sure if any of them are official or on any map of any kind. Bring water.

NM - quite a few trails around Wheeler Peak, or you can venture "off-trail" to do nearby peakbagging. This is a fun one.

TX - tons of trails in Guadalupe NP, and I would recommend them. Great area and plenty of backpacking. I'd rather not go in the summer personally though.

AR - We did a overnight backpacking loop over maybe 15 miles up to Mt Magazine. Cant remember the trail names, but its possible.

MS - there is nothing around. The Natchez Trace is nearby which you could bike but it doesnt have backpacking. The Tombigbee Waterway nearby could be kayaked all the way to the Gulf.

The Solemates
06-18-2013, 16:39
Your other 3....

DE is on the side of the highway in a surburban neighborhood, so no.

CT is on the side of a mountain that has plenty of trails. We did a big loop. This is the only HP that we got turned around at though - the trails are not well marked - at least not in 2006. We got caught in the dark and the rain. It was interesting.

RI has the North-South trail that you could backpack.

rocketsocks
06-18-2013, 17:35
here's a book you could use.....for 5,600 bucks you'd think they could throw in the shipping for free:rolleyes:

rocketsocks
06-18-2013, 17:36
here's a book you could use.....for 5,600 bucks you'd think they could throw in the shipping for free:rolleyes:http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0971362505/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new