PDA

View Full Version : Book Swap Thread

KermitBoxer
06-18-2013, 19:17
Is there such a thing as a book swap thread here on WB?

If not, can we start one?

For example, I just finished reading "Southbound" by Lucy and Susan Letcher (aka The Barefoot Sisters). I really enjoyed it, but I don't need to keep it. However, I would love to read anything by/about Jennifer Pharr Davis ("Becoming Odyssa", etc).

I'll ship you my book if you ship me yours!

A.T.Lt
06-18-2013, 19:26
I'm half way through Wild by Cheryl Strayed....good read

illabelle
06-19-2013, 13:29

For example, I just finished reading "Southbound" by Lucy and Susan Letcher (aka The Barefoot Sisters). I really enjoyed it, but I don't need to keep it. However, I would love to read anything by/about Jennifer Pharr Davis ("Becoming Odyssa", etc).

I bought Southbound recently, read it (enjoyed it!), then started to order the sequel. Fortunately, I had a moment of clarity and remembered this place called a Public Library. Can't believe it took so long for me to think of that!:rolleyes:

Just finished the sequel this morning, and will return it tomorrow. FREE! Plus I don't have to add another book to my collection.

Water Rat
06-19-2013, 13:37
Public libraries are awesome! Unfortunately, my public library doesn't have much beyond the Barefoot Sisters. I think they only have those books because the Sisters are locals. Thankfully, people on White Blaze have been kind enough to post free kindle books (related to hiking, etc) lately. That is how I have been getting my books. That is how I was able to get and read the Skywalker books.

Thank you, White Blaze! :)

tawa
06-19-2013, 15:55
Kermit--Which other books do u have to swap? I also have --Southbound--and several other good AT books but none of JPD books.
Based on what else u have I might be interested in swapping.
Let me know.

Butterfly58
06-19-2013, 20:39
Hey I love this idea! I've got lots of books on the AT. I'm reading Becoming Odyssa right now. My last one was Remember the Carrot which was great, in fact so good I wanna keep it! But I've got others. I've got both the Barefoot Sisters books and lots more. What do you want?

tawa
06-19-2013, 21:06
Ok I have: A season on the AT-Lynn Setzer----The appalachian Trail How To Prepare & Hike It-Jan Curran---Walking on the Happy Side of Misery--J.R. Model-T Tate---AWOL on the AT-David Miller---Just Passing Thru--A walk in the Woods--The Barefoot Sisters Southbound---Walking The Appalachian Trail--Larry Luxenberg---Guide To the Appalachian Trail--Second Edition-Jim Chase---Long Distance Hiking -Lessons from the Appalachian Trail-Roland Mueser.
What do u want to read and what are u offering to trade.

theoilman
06-20-2013, 08:37

www.paperbackswap.com (http://www.paperbackswap.com)

no fees, no costs, just pay the postage. You even print all the shipping labels direct and it gives the correct book rate postage and the labels include the "Media Rate" info.

T.S.Kobzol
06-20-2013, 09:06
How about Kindle lending? I haven't checked into the logistics but is there a way to lend my book to another kindle member?

T.S.Kobzol
06-20-2013, 09:13
I just checked and yes... you can loan a book for 14 days. Here is how (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200549320):

Lend or Borrow Kindle Books

You can lend a Kindle book to another reader for up to 14 days. The borrower does not need to own a Kindle device and can read the book after downloading a free Kindle reading app.
Note: A book can only be loaned one time. Magazines and newspapers are currently not available for lending.

Loan a Kindle Book from Manage Your Kindle
Loan a Kindle Book from the Product Detail Page
Borrow from a Friend
Return a Loaned Book
Loan a Kindle Book from the Product Detail Page

You can loan eligible Kindle books to a friend from the product detail page of a book you purchased on Amazon.

During the loan period, you will not be able to read the book that you loaned.
Visit the Kindle Store.

On the product detail page, click Loan this book. You will be sent to the Loan this book page.

Enter the recipient's e-mail address.

If desired, enter a personal message.
Note: Be sure to send the Kindle book loan notification to your friend's personal e-mail address and not their Kindle e-mail address.

Click Send now.

Note: If the loan is not accepted after seven days, the book will then become available in your Kindle Library. You will be able to loan the book again.
Loan a Kindle Book from Manage Your Kindle

You can loan eligible Kindle books to a friend from the Manage Your Kindle page.

During the loan period, you will not be able to read the book that you loaned.
Visit Manage Your Kindle.

In the Actions menu, select Loan this title. If Loan this title is not an option, lending is unavailable for the title.

Enter the recipient's e-mail address. If desired, enter a personal message.
Note: Be sure to send the Kindle book loan notification to your friend's personal e-mail address and not their Kindle e-mail address.

Click Send now.

Borrow from a Friend

You can borrow a Kindle book from a friend. When the book is available, you will receive an e-mail notification that will allow you to download the book to your Kindle device or reading app.
Open the e-mail message "A Loaned Book for You."

Click the Get your loaned book now button. Your web browser will automatically launch to Amazon so you can accept the loan.

Sign in to your Amazon account.
If you have a Kindle device or reading app, select which device you would like the book delivered to, and then click the Accept loaned book button.
If you do not have a Kindle device or reading app, click the Accept loaned book button. Follow the on-screen instructions to download a free Kindle reading app.

Return a Loaned Book

Visit Manage Your Kindle to return a loaned Kindle book.
Visit Manage Your Kindle

Click the Actions menu next to the borrowed book.

Click Delete from library.

Click Yes to confirm the return.

KermitBoxer
06-22-2013, 15:49
Tawa, I wish I had more than this one book to offer right now. I'm a travel nurse, so I don't carry many books with me on the road (nor do I have consistent access to a public library, which would be super). If I end up with more books to swap I'll put them on this thread.

marshbirder
07-20-2013, 13:40
I bought Southbound recently, read it (enjoyed it!), then started to order the sequel. Fortunately, I had a moment of clarity and remembered this place called a Public Library. Can't believe it took so long for me to think of that!:rolleyes:

Just finished the sequel this morning, and will return it tomorrow. FREE! Plus I don't have to add another book to my collection.

I did a similar thing recently! I was about to buy A Walk In The Woods and realized there's a library downtown! I'm not sure how much they have down there, but I don't need anymore books on my shelves right now, I'm overloaded. I started AWITW last night and it's great.

I love the book swap idea though. If I do buy some books, I'll join in. I had AWOL and Becoming Odyssa but I resold them on Amazon.

Dogwood
07-20-2013, 15:14

THAT'S A GREAT IDEA! :banana Best idea I've heard all day! I would try to keep it hiking/outdoors related though. I've been giving most of my already perused hiking books away anyhow. Why not do it here on WB?

Dogwood
07-20-2013, 15:16
I'd even give away much of what I already have to anyone that wants it. I'll start putting together a list of what I have to offer.