PDA

View Full Version : Picking up my gear for the whites, where should I send my summer bag?

Zippy Morocco
06-19-2013, 13:38
This is a follow up question to the one I asked about winter gear and The Whites. I will be picking up my 20 degree bag and down jacket in a couple of days when we get to Hanover. Should I send my 35 degree bag north or home? Do people typically keep their cold weather gear for the rest of their thruhike once they pick it back up?

Thank you in advance. We are having a great hike and are excited to be this far. 490 to go!

Zippy and Diddo
sidewaysgaze.com/writing

hikerboy57
06-19-2013, 15:31
This is a follow up question to the one I asked about winter gear and The Whites. I will be picking up my 20 degree bag and down jacket in a couple of days when we get to Hanover. Should I send my 35 degree bag north or home? Do people typically keep their cold weather gear for the rest of their thruhike once they pick it back up?

Thank you in advance. We are having a great hike and are excited to be this far. 490 to go!

Zippy and Diddo
sidewaysgaze.com/writing
except for the presis and the bigelows, the weather can be pretty warm through august.maybe slogoen can give you some insight. i think itd be fine just keeping what you have , dont bother with the winter gear.
awesome hike so far, by the way.

RED-DOG
06-19-2013, 16:24
Last year on my 2012 thru i started with a 32 degree bag and kept it the whole way, In NH and ME i slept on top of it most of the time, you might see COOLER temps going through the Presidential Range but all in all you should be fine with the 35 degree bag, Keep what you got.

Feral Bill
06-19-2013, 17:12
Picture yourself at the end of a windy, wet day, with no shelter for most of it. You're borderline hypothermic and exhausted, maybe too tired to cook. Doesn't crawling into a nice, extra warm sleeping bag sound nice? It's your choice.

Slo-go'en
06-19-2013, 17:30
Well, it has been chilly (and fairly wet) up here lately. However, the weather forcasters promise that is about to change and summer might actually arrive this weekend. Which would be right on schedual.

If your just about to arrive in NH now, it *should* be nice and toasty for the next month and a half. Doesn't start to cool off a lot until the end of August. Personally, I would say your 35* bag will be fine. Down jacket might be handy, but I'd bet you don't use it much at all. You could always send it home again if that's the case.

Most Thru hikers don't get here until the end of August and that's when you start to need some warm stuff for sure.

Zippy Morocco
06-21-2013, 19:50
I'm sitting here at the Sunset Inn now. Going to take a zero tomorrow and then head to the mountains. Thank you all for your feedback. I'm thinking I'll take the down jacket and send it home after the Presidential range. The weather report is calling for warm temperatures. Of course those seem to change daily.

Blissful
06-27-2013, 20:54
After the Whites I'd get my bag and gear back by Oct 1. Probably safe until Oct 15 but this has been a cold, wet year so far.

fireneck
06-29-2013, 18:17
I got my bag 20 degree quilt in Lincoln, NH and kept it for the rest of my hike last year. For me it was not worth the hassle/money of sending/swapping out bags with not many more miles left.

Del Q
06-29-2013, 19:45
I find that what a bag says it is comfortable at and reality are two different things. My 35 degree Big Agnes is NOT comfy in that temperature range. Now I carry my 25 degree Mont Bell with a Mountainsmith liner on my spring and fall hikes.