PDA

View Full Version : Polyphasic sleeping, hiking, and you

rocketsocks
06-20-2013, 00:07
Is polyphasic sleeping for you?

Have you done it?

How does your body deal with polyphasic sleep and or cat naps throughout the day?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep

infkassim
06-20-2013, 01:00
There isn't much evidence of anyone successfully sustaining these kinds of sleep patterns beyond the normal kind of biphasic pattern with a nap in the afternoon. Many people have tried and failed, including myself.

In the summer, it can be useful to take a nap during the hottest part of the day, from around 12pm to 2pm when hiking is difficult, and then night hike until around 10pm.

rocketsocks
06-20-2013, 01:04
There isn't much evidence of anyone successfully sustaining these kinds of sleep patterns beyond the normal kind of biphasic pattern with a nap in the afternoon. Many people have tried and failed, including myself.

In the summer, it can be useful to take a nap during the hottest part of the day, from around 12pm to 2pm when hiking is difficult, and then night hike until around 10pm.Kinda how I see myself doin it....a "Siesta with an all nighter"...I'm always wide awake come hiker midnight.

Malto
06-20-2013, 14:55
I believe NatureBoy attempted to do two twelve hour days on his record attempt. That was his plan though I didn't follow up to see if he actually did it. His logic was that it was easier to split a long day, say 40 miles into two 20 mile days with sleep/rest in between. It is an interesting concept, hike from 4-11 and sleep from 11-4 twice a day.