PDA

View Full Version : healthy breakfast

shantylata596
06-20-2013, 05:14
we all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day? do you have any suggestions for a healthy breakfast meal?

Rocket Jones
06-20-2013, 05:46
I like dehydrated quinoa, powdered whole milk, dried cherries, a little brown sugar, cinnamon and walnuts. Add hot or cold water, either way it's good.

Cookerhiker
06-20-2013, 06:16
Quick oats, ground flaxmeal, cracked wheat, walnuts, dried fruits, cinnamon or ginger, brown sugar. I make up the mix at home and bring on the trail. If a long-distance hike, I sent it in maildrops. Cooks in 1-2 minutes.

Namtrag
06-20-2013, 06:25
Oatmeal with a scoop of whey mixed in prior to adding the hot water

daddytwosticks
06-20-2013, 07:06
Pop Tarts. Honey Buns. Donuts.....mmmmmm.

Just kidding!

Love a hard boiled egg the first few mornings of a section hike. :)

Odd Man Out
06-20-2013, 11:56
My favorite oatmeal is to use quick oats (not the instant oatmeal in packages). Mix with cinnamon, nuts, dried fruit (MI cherries are the best but $$$), salt, and butter. Sweeten with real maple syrup! if syrup is not UL-enough or too $$$, use maple sugar (if you can get it), brown sugar or white sugar (if necessary). But my favorite tip is to just add boiling water until you get the right consistency (I like it thin) and eat. You don't boil or cook it the oatmeal. Cooking dissolves the starch so when it cools, it sets up like glue and is a pain to clean. I like the taste and texture better when it isn't cooked and cleaning up is much easier (if you are eating out of a bowl or pot) and this method of course works for FBC.

FarmerChef
06-20-2013, 16:58
I make my own granola at home and customize it to my tastes and calories desired per serving. It is a kitchen sink of grains, nuts and fruit. Delicious! NIDO powdered milk and you're all set. Heavy but worth it.

Cookerhiker
06-20-2013, 21:30
My favorite oatmeal is to use quick oats (not the instant oatmeal in packages). Mix with cinnamon, nuts, dried fruit (MI cherries are the best but $$$), salt, and butter. Sweeten with real maple syrup! if syrup is not UL-enough or too $$$, use maple sugar (if you can get it), brown sugar or white sugar (if necessary). But my favorite tip is to just add boiling water until you get the right consistency (I like it thin) and eat. You don't boil or cook it the oatmeal. Cooking dissolves the starch so when it cools, it sets up like glue and is a pain to clean. I like the taste and texture better when it isn't cooked and cleaning up is much easier (if you are eating out of a bowl or pot) and this method of course works for FBC.

Very similar to mine - all you need to do is add ground flaxmeal. Re cherries, I buy mine from the health-food coop but the best prices are when I'm near Amish-run stores.

Drybones
06-20-2013, 21:37
Hormel cornbeef hash is great if you have a skillet to brown it in, had some on a float trip this week end, do not ever buy Libby's...most discusting mush I've ever seen.

Odd Man Out
06-20-2013, 21:38
Very similar to mine - all you need to do is add ground flaxmeal. Re cherries, I buy mine from the health-food coop but the best prices are when I'm near Amish-run stores.

Thanks - I'll try the flax. I have a cherry tree in my backyard that produces more cherries than I could ever eat. I need to learn how to dry my own. The problem is I spend the entire first two week of July pitting the stupid things.

the goat
06-21-2013, 19:03
clif bars! quick, easy, nutritious and they have a hell of a lot more flavors these days compared to when i last thru'ed. i think i ate clif bars for breakfast for most of my breakfasts on each hike. it's such an easy solution & never really got tired of them b/c of the flavor variety (which is even better now).

Old Hiker
06-21-2013, 19:48
we all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day? do you have any suggestions for a healthy breakfast meal?

IHOP - bacon combo with the pancake of the week.
Awesome, esp. the strawberry cheesecake ones !!

Oh, on the Trail? oatmeal to go bars - 2 + a large mug of coffee the first 3 weeks or so. After that, I supplemented with pop-tarts. One multivitamin every few days. Gorge on veggies in town.

Wise Old Owl
06-21-2013, 20:01
OH you covered it... folks take a breakfast that is important to you.

scrabbler
06-21-2013, 21:05
Packet of cinnamon raisin oatmeal, extra box of raisins, tablespoon of Nido, add hot water. Powerbar. Some sort of instant coffee+sugar+Nido.

Game Warden
06-22-2013, 21:17
These are all good, but I can't believe no one mentioned Tang? Am I showing my age?

Odd Man Out
06-22-2013, 22:03
These are all good, but I can't believe no one mentioned Tang? Am I showing my age?

Yes, you are. Do they still make it? I remember getting it in big jars. Yum!

Cookerhiker
06-22-2013, 22:08

I recall bringing Tang on my early section hikes in the 1970s - maybe for the first few years of the '80s.

hikerboy57
06-22-2013, 22:15
I recall bringing Tang on my early section hikes in the 1970s - maybe for the first few years of the '80s.
along with space food sticks

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3156/2850272215_2b893580d2_z.jpg

Game Warden
06-22-2013, 22:27
yes, it was a product of the space race, but it really hits the spot while waiting for the coffee water to boil.