PDA

View Full Version : Wanna say 'Thanks!'

Double Wide
06-20-2013, 19:00
I've been lurking around here on WB for the better part of the last two years, basically since I decided that I wanted to attempt a thru-hike. I've gleaned a whole lot of knowledge here and I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has offered sound advice and excellent information instead of saying "Hike your own hike" and then proceeding to tell me that their way was better. There are some truly helpful and knowledgeable folks here, and I appreciate your input.

I'm leaving next March, and gear-wise, I'm ready to go. Unfortunately, I started buying gear before I started paying attention to you good people, so I've turned over my kit about 75%. But my Big Four, I'm happy to say, have gotten much lighter. When I got started with this backpacking thing, this is what I had:

REI Quarterdome T2 4.0 lbs
ThermaRest Trail Lite Large pad 2 lbs 11 oz
Jansport Carson 80 External Frame Pack 4 lbs 12 oz
Kelty Coromel 25 degree down bag 3 lbs 7 oz

That's a whopping 14 lbs 14 oz! :eek:

After getting some hard-earned miles on my boots and learning things the hard (and expensive) way, I've made some changes. This is what I'm working with now:

Mountain Hardwear SuperMega UL2 2 lbs 7oz
NeoAir Xlite Large 1.0 lb
Osprey Atmos 65 3 lbs 9 oz
Still sporting the Kelty 3 lbs 7 oz

So now I'm down to 10 lbs 7 oz!!!! :banana

The only thing I might change is going with a WM Ponderosa bag, but it boils down to coughing up $525 to save 9 ounces. That's a tough one to swallow. I really dig my Kelty bag (no mummies for me!), and it's actually kept me warm on a 17 degree night a couple months back. It's just a *little* bulky in the pack, that's all.

Anyhow, I'm no ultra-lighter, and I've spent enough time out in the woods to know that I want to keep my tent free-standing and double-walled, I gotta have a frame in my pack, and closed cell foam might've been cool when I was younger, but now that I'm old, comfort at the end of a long day of hiking is of utmost importance.

When I came to White Blaze, I'd never heard of some of these products, had no idea about the differences between down and synthetic, synthetic vs. cotton, or the complete awesomeness that is Merino Wool. I've learned a lot by 'e-blazing', and I thank you all for that. But the lessons really stuck last month when I did a section hike in Georgia. That's where it all clicked for me.

I realized that the idea of thru-hiking is a romantic notion that really appeals to me, but the actual practice of doing it every day in the rain, heat, humidity, cold, snow, mud, bugs, mice, snakes, hills, rocks, and roots is going to be the hardest thing I've ever done. But at least now I know that I can do it.

I hope to see some of you fine folks on the trail next year!

Malto
06-20-2013, 20:41
Good luck on your hike and keep getting the invaluable experience prior to your departure.

RCBear
06-22-2013, 07:59
Very cool. I think half the fun (or more) in what we do is the science of how we find out what works best for us individually to bring greater enjoyment to our trail experience. The great thing is that to come to that we must get out there and figure out our systems in the field. I've learned a lot in the 8 months or so since joining WB.

This is what HYOH means to me. Finding out through just being out. Best of success to you next thru season and keep enjoying the leadup.

Cookerhiker
06-22-2013, 13:16
Your experience is an example of why I recommend WhiteBlaze to newbies in their beginning phases when they feel so overwhelmed. There is a wealth of good information on this site; the sound advice and insight outweighs the negativity by far.

Sunwolf
06-22-2013, 14:27
Check out Golite for an alternative to the WM ponderosa. The z10 3 season (10* rated) is $350 for 2lbs 3oz.

I own the z-10 4 season ($400 3lbs) and it's spectacular. I have never been cold in it and I'm a very cold sleeper.

Sunwolf
06-22-2013, 14:33
Ack, you said no mummies. Nm. :(

Drybones
06-22-2013, 16:45
The task of getting lighter is never ending, it's all a trade off of cost, comfort and weight. Keep your eyes open and you can find a lighter bag with a reasonable cost. I bought an REI down bag that weighs 2 lb at a scratch and dent sale for $100, I've since bought a Marmot Helium for $289 but still find myself carrying the old REI bag. BTW, every time I see your trail name it reminds me of a prank a guy I worked with pulled on a lady years ago...put a sticky note on her back that said "Wide Load"...she carried it all day.

WalksInDark
06-22-2013, 18:58
Buying gear....then doing the research..is the American way!

All of us here have made similar purchase mistakes.

BEING ABLE TO LIVE WITH HAVING TO SEE STUFF YOU BOUGHT ---BUT SHOULD NOT HAVE--- THEN HAVING TO BUY NEW STUFF ---THAT YOU REALLY SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THE FIRST TIME--- P R I C E L E S S!

Welcome to the crazy backpacking fraternity/sorority.

WalksInDark
06-22-2013, 18:59
Oppppppppps!

Meant to say "Sell" Not, "See."

Double Wide
06-22-2013, 20:26
BTW, every time I see your trail name it reminds me of a prank a guy I worked with pulled on a lady years ago...put a sticky note on her back that said "Wide Load"...she carried it all day.

While at Neel Gap at the end of my section hike last month, I got renamed by my Trail Family I hiked with that week. From now on, I'll be known as 'Blueberry'...

HikerMom58
06-23-2013, 06:45
While at Neel Gap at the end of my section hike last month, I got renamed by my Trail Family I hiked with that week. From now on, I'll be known as 'Blueberry'...

Wishing you the BEST!! :)