PDA

View Full Version : DIY Polycryo Ground Sheet?

Odd Man Out
06-20-2013, 21:54
I am thinking of making a polycryo ground sheet for use under a tarp. All I really want to do is fold up the corners to make a bathtub floor. Anyone know an adhesive that would work for keeping the corners folded up? My first gut instinct is to try duct tape. I would then put a grommet in the tape so I could run a cord to to tarp corners and keep the ground sheet in place. I don't have the materials just yet so I'm not sure this plan will work.

Razor
06-21-2013, 12:06
That sounds interesting --I have always just used a plain polycryo sheet . It works very good but I can see the advantage of turning the corners on the high side . Report your findings --the only downside I can see now is the hassle /weight factor maybe outweighing the benefits of simplicity. The sheet is so light that the edge between the corners might not be able to stiffen enough.

Berserker
06-21-2013, 12:15
I think about any kind of tape would probably work. Packaging tape might work, and would be lighter than duct tape.

The one thing I'll throw in here (not to critique your design to much) is that the polycryo, window film and other similar material tears easily once a small hole is poked in it. So if there's any stress on your corners and a tear gets started past the tape, the corner might tear right off the sheet.

Odd Man Out
06-21-2013, 14:22
That sounds interesting --I have always just used a plain polycryo sheet . It works very good but I can see the advantage of turning the corners on the high side . Report your findings --the only downside I can see now is the hassle /weight factor maybe outweighing the benefits of simplicity. The sheet is so light that the edge between the corners might not be able to stiffen enough.

I was thinking of using this in a Zpacks Hexamid with screen floor (trying to save money over the CF sheet). I was hoping I could just leave it clipped in most of the time so there wouldn't be much hassle. As for weight, the system would be light enough I wouldn't mind a little extra weight if it improves function. I also thought about running some tape around the perimeter to stiffen it up.

I think about any kind of tape would probably work. Packaging tape might work, and would be lighter than duct tape.

The one thing I'll throw in here (not to critique your design to much) is that the polycryo, window film and other similar material tears easily once a small hole is poked in it. So if there's any stress on your corners and a tear gets started past the tape, the corner might tear right off the sheet.

I will look out for the tears. Packing tape is a good idea. I have plenty of that at home. I would trim a full sheet to fit the tent footprint. I will practice with the scraps first.

Dogwood
06-21-2013, 14:25
I notice the same thing. Polycro tears easily. By placing grommets in it you should be awaer of that.

Odd Man Out
06-21-2013, 15:17
I would put the grommets through the tape hopefully to avoid that, and probably double up the tape at that point too.

Aquaman12
06-22-2013, 10:41
There are a couple articles on backpackinglight.com about this. Pretty knowledgeable UL hikers over there. They talk about using plastic washers in between the tape to put holes through.