PDA

View Full Version : parking at fontana dam and damascus

fizz3499
06-21-2013, 10:54
I will be doing a section hike starting in September. I am not sure yet if I am going to south or north bound between Fontana dam and Damascus. Does anyone know where I could safely leave my car while I am hiking this section. Also I will be hiking with my husband who doesn't have much hiking experience. Any suggestions as to which direction might be easier for him. I would appreciate any advise you all could offer, Thanks.

Rightfoot
06-21-2013, 14:01
Fizz... There is a public parking area in Damascus next to the Old Mill restaurant. It is next door to the post office. Stop in at the Police station and registrar your car with them. They will keep an eye on it. Three years ago I left my car there for two weeks with the keys accidentely sitting on the trunk. I was lucky, but everytrhing was as I left it when I returned.

illabelle
06-21-2013, 14:54
There's safe parking in Damascus. There's safe parking at Fontana.

You didn't say how long you plan to be on the trail, or when in September you're starting. We hiked from Clingman's Dome to Fontana last year in mid-October and had fabulous weather, though a little cool starting out. The very next weekend Hurricane Sandy moved in, dumped several inches of snow, and several hikers were caught unprepared, with at least one evacuated by helicopter!

We're lazy (and local), so we did the park in two pieces, downhill both ways. The northern half was done in May, with no weather issues. Unless you're really fast, I would suggest traveling north to get the higher elevations done before the cold weather becomes more of an issue. You will still have high elevations north of the park, until the Wautauga Lake area near Hampton, TN.

On the other hand, if you're doing this in early September, maybe weather won't factor in so much. Going southbound would give you several days of easier terrain to toughen up in before hitting the steeper and higher mountainous portions. And if you changed your minds, you'd be able to get off the trail easier than in the Smokies.

Be sure to check the Smokies' backcountry permit and reservation requirements that began earlier this year.

jburgasser
06-21-2013, 15:59
If you are doing the entire 300 miles from Damascus to Fontana, then I would suggest parking at the public lot at Damascus where you can register your car with the police. Ickybod

fizz3499
06-21-2013, 17:23
We will be starting the hike on September 1st. I'm not sure how long we are going to be out. A lot depends on the weather as in rain or heat and how much my husband can hike in a day. I'll have the basics. A tent sleeping bags rated around 30 degrees . I was planning on taking clothes that would work well for mid 50's - low 70 day temps and high 30's low 40's at night plus rain gear. I'm only guessing at what to expect with the weather. I thought I would wait to get our permits for the smokies until we get to at least Erwin just in case it proves to much for my husband.