PDA

View Full Version : Cooking...or not

garlic08
06-21-2013, 22:10
I just read an article about all the reasons cooking is good for us in the Smithsonian Magazine. The article ends with this passage:

We will now, in the spirit of impartiality, acknowledge all the ways in which cooking is a terrible idea. The demand for firewood has denuded forests. As Bee Wilson notes in her new book, Consider the Fork, the average open cooking fire generates as much carbon dioxide as a car. Indoor smoke from cooking causes breathing problems, and heterocyclic amines from grilling or roasting meat are carcinogenic. Who knows how many people are burned or scalded, or cut by cooking utensils, or die in cooking-related house fires? How many valuable nutrients are washed down the sink along with the water in which vegetables were boiled? Cooking has given the world junk food, 17-course tasting menus at restaurants where you have to be a movie star to get a reservation, and obnoxious, overbearing chefs berating their sous-chefs on reality TV shows. Wouldn’t the world be a better place without all that?

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/Why-Fire-Makes-Us-Human-208349501.html#ixzz2WuFsVe71

Of course, on my non-cook backpacking trips, I get many of my calories from cooked food like breads and rolled oats. So the article really doesn't apply. Raw food hikers are extremely rare. But the last couple of sentences are pretty funny.

Rasty
06-21-2013, 22:12
Without cooking I wouldn't have a job! My vote supports cooked food.

nastynate
06-21-2013, 22:19
I've gone stoveless my last 3 weekend trips. I love the simplicity. So quick and easy. I'm thinking of putting together a 500 mL mug cook kit though, just for the rare times I'd like a hot cup of coffee like Starbucks Via hot or cold, but not luke warm) or some hot couscous. Stoveless is definitely the way to go when I bring my little boy. He doesn't like warm breakfast or mushy dinners anyway. I think he could go for months on granola bars, trail mix, and pepperoni.

Rasty
06-21-2013, 22:28
I've had the 12 course tasting menu at Nobu's in Manhattan. We added two more courses as we were hungry. Man that was a good meal.

Should have got the extra 3 courses.

TennesseeHillbilly
06-21-2013, 22:51
This article was probably written by one of those green peace nut jobs

daddytwosticks
06-22-2013, 06:57
Said it before and will say it again. One thing keeps me from going stoveless: coffee. But if I keep brewing this crap I just brewed here at home this morning, giving up this habit will be easy to do.

Nastynate has a good solution. Bring a small metal mug, like a Snow Peak 600. You can use it to east stoveless (cereal, etc), use it as a water dipper, and use it to brew up a warm drink over a fire if you really need it. :)

Rasty
06-22-2013, 08:28
Said it before and will say it again. One thing keeps me from going stoveless: coffee. But if I keep brewing this crap I just brewed here at home this morning, giving up this habit will be easy to do.

Nastynate has a good solution. Bring a small metal mug, like a Snow Peak 600. You can use it to east stoveless (cereal, etc), use it as a water dipper, and use it to brew up a warm drink over a fire if you really need it. :)

On my last overnight I brought my stove and didn't even use it. I think I'm going stoveless on short trips also.

litefoot2000
06-22-2013, 11:18
Stoveless is the only way to go, IMHO.