PDA

View Full Version : Considering a SOBO trip, but want feedback first

Felix
07-24-2005, 16:26
Hi folks, I was hoping that I could get some input on the choice between doing a SOBO thru hike and doing a flip flop (which would start in Harper's Ferry, go north, then either fly to GA and go up, or start back at Harper's Ferry and head south). The hike would begin in early to mid August. If possible, I'd like to do the full-on SOBO trip because I think I'd get more enjoyment out of doing so, compared to the mental gap that a flip flop has. My two concerns, however, are pretty major: fitness, and winter camping experience.

Fitness: I'm 26 and run 3-6 miles a day (the distance depends on a weather, time, etc.), but I am also overweight (I weigh roughly 195-200 lbs). If I attempted the SOBO hike, I'm concerned that my conditioning is such that I will just be asking for a disaster during the rougher terrain. A flip-flop, heading north from Harper's Ferry, however, would seem to give me more time to get into better shape before the really difficult parts of the trail. Is this a realistic time frame to go north from Harper's Ferry? Also, I understand that injuries are always a risk, so I guess my concern is that the risk of a SOBO hike might outweigh the benefits. I expect to not be terribly swift during the first days, especially if I start a SOBO hike, due to conditioning and the Trail itself. Any comments?

Winter Camping: Much more of a concern to me is my lack of experience with winter camping. I've got decent camping experience during the warmer months (nothing like a thru hike, though), but have only once gone winter camping, and that was a long time ago. Is this reason enough to not attempt a SOBO hike, or are the dangers reasonably easy to address as long as I use common sense? Do people think that winter camping is mainly an issue of the right gear, or is it dangerous enough that attempting a SOBO hike without having done winter weather camping experience is too dangerous regardless of equipment? Are there certain areas on the Trail that make a late SOBO hike unwise because the weather will require more experience than what I've got? I'm mainly concerned with being too far north too late in the year.

I know people that can send me supply drops, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I've really wanted to hike the Trail for several years, but I've only now found an extended period of free time to consider it. Assuming you think the idea is not a recipe for disaster, any suggestions regarding gear are welcome as well. Shucks, suggestions are just plain old welcome. After all, if good sense dictates, I can just hike south from Harper's Ferry instead of north, and do half the trail.

Thanks for the input.

rickb
07-24-2005, 22:11
One choice is easy. You probably don't want to start in Harpers Ferry and head north with the expectation of climbing Katahdin. The Rangers effectively close the mountain around the end of October. You would have to fly to get there in time. Fall in the NE mountains can also present some of thier own "winter" conditions.

Going SOBO sounds good to me, however. Is it really physically harder? I'm not so sure. Katahdin is a long day trip, but you won't have a full pack. Then you have the "Wilderness", right? In one sense that can be tough because you are committed to getting to Monson with the food on your back-- which means you must keep a schedule. Still, you could resupply at White House Landing if that was a concern. Or, just go for it. Truth is most of Maine is rather flat. When it does get hilly, you will have enough miles under your belt to deal with it. Either suffer, or slow down. Your choice. I guess what I am saying is that you can make it harder than a NOBO-- if you want to. Otherwise slow down your day, and take advantage of a rest stop.

Going farther south,one always has to be smart about the Weather over the Whites-- at anytime of year. In your case you will have to be a bit smarter, but it shouldn't be a big deal. Next weather worry? Apart from the hot days, I mean. Probably snow in the Smokies. But why worry? You will know what you are doing by then. If there is a bit of snow you will know how to deal with it. If there is more, then you can deal with it or not. Just make sure you don't stress out over the "possibility" before you get there.

Will you end up spending a lot time on you own after the first month or so? Sure. But it might well be the last time in your life you get that opportunity. Could prove to be the best part of your trip. Apart from the beauty of the crowded trails in Maine and NH that is!

Have fun.
Rick B

TOW
07-24-2005, 23:24
quit thinking and asking questions and just go put your foot on the trail and start hiking...you'll come to realize that all this mind game was not worth it

TJ aka Teej
07-25-2005, 13:04
One of the main differences between MEGA and GAME is that GAMErs can drive to a half mile of the terminus, start with plenty of companions, and have a wonderful outfitter/maildrop/bailout just a few days up the trail. For MEGAs the start in Maine is much more lonely/remote, might have weather conditions that close the trails on Katahdin, will have higher fords and more bugs, and has no maildrop/outfitter help until Monson and Greenville.
JFWIW,YMMV.

Felix
07-28-2005, 12:42
Thanks all. Those responses are helpful. I may have to return to home for a few days sometime in a few months, but that's unclear at the moment. If that's the case, I may opt for a shorter south-from-harper's-ferry trip instead. Hopefully I can work around that, and go for the full SOBO trip, though.

UCONNMike
07-28-2005, 21:26
Go south, it's totally awesome!

Check out my site to read about how my SOBO trip has gone so far...