PDA

View Full Version : alps mountaineering packs

RCBear
06-22-2013, 09:14
Does anyone have any experience with their packs? My brother wants to start getting more involved in backpacking. His style will less be hiking and more of the pack 3-5 miles in, camp for a few days and back out.

So a larger pack that can accomodate some of his car camping gear will be needed since the cost of replacing with lighter won't be his priority to start.

I found the caldera 5000 on rei closeout for 120 bucks and it seems to have the features that would work for him. Can I go wrong at that price? Its rei so I know he could return it after a couple forays if it doesn't work for him. I only have Gregory's and feel you usually get what you pay for but this seems like a decent first pack for him. Thanks for any feedback.

RCBear
06-22-2013, 09:42
Sorry. Should have read Cascade 5200.

vamelungeon
06-22-2013, 09:50
I have that pack. It's very comfortable, and when I had a component fail they replaced it for free after I sent an email with a photo attachment. I haven't had any more problems with it. There are lighter packs but I'm happy with mine. I'm leaving on a 3 day hike Sunday and I'll be using it.

RCBear
06-22-2013, 10:07
I have that pack. It's very comfortable, and when I had a component fail they replaced it for free after I sent an email with a photo attachment. I haven't had any more problems with it. There are lighter packs but I'm happy with mine. I'm leaving on a 3 day hike Sunday and I'll be using it.

Thanks! I have it in my rei cart and since not sure how many are left think im going to pull the trigger. Appreciate the feedback.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2