PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Cloudburst 3

Big Dawg
06-22-2013, 14:01
Does anyone have experience with the new Cloudburst 3?

stranger
07-05-2013, 08:04
I had a Cloudburst 2 and really liked it, I always thought the dual hoop poles made more sense in terms of space and function. This version is obviously bigger and has more features, looks great.

TrippLite
09-12-2013, 23:11
Lets see if we can't revive this thread...
I am considering a CB3 or a DR...
Anyone have a Cloudburst 3 and care to share thoughts and feedback on the tent?
I realize they have not been in production very long, but no setup videos or owner reviews online as of yet...
What gives..
Anybody?

Lets say my camping partner could not make the AT thru-hike with me..
Would the CB3 be overkill for 1 person?
Would I earn the trail name ... Huge/Big Tent or similar ?

stranger
09-13-2013, 03:10
I had the 2 and that was huge for one person...so yes, too big for one IMO

q-tip
09-13-2013, 09:02
I have the CB 2- used it for 150 miles--traded it in for a TT Contrail. The CB 2 is a great tent for 2 people no experience with the CB 3. I personally don't like carrying and using tent poles, the Contrail uses hiking poles. Can't lose with Henry and Tarp Tent....

Venchka
09-13-2013, 09:06
Hmmmm...
The Cloudburst 3 is a pound lighter than my tiny, cramped solo tent.
As a "one size fits many purposes", the Cloudburst 3 is less expensive than a solo + 2 person tent for those who need both sizes. Certainly the right size for a couple with a child or dog or other fur bearing critter.
Looks like a winner to me. The Cloudburst 3 is on my short list if my grand kids ever decide to join me on the trail.

Wayne

treesloth
09-13-2013, 11:02
My CB3 is on the way in 3-4 weeks, just in time for awesome winter outdoor nights here in the swamp. Henry is a bit backordered on them. I absolutely LOVE my StratoSpire as well, but it was a bit small for the deluxe pads that me and the GF use for car camping. But even at 3#, this number might be light enough for the both of us to take on a small backpacking trip as well.

I'll try to find this thread and post back on it once I've had a go at it. But I can tell ya, I liked the look of it from the moment I saw it on the TT website.

TrippLite
09-14-2013, 20:41
I'll try to find this thread and post back on it once I've had a go at it. But I can tell ya, I liked the look of it from the moment I saw it on the TT website.

Here are the threads/links I have previously viewed of the CB3.. there are a few others but they just mention the tent with a hyperlink to the TT website or talk about swapping out the stakes for lighter ones to get the tent under 3 pounds...

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=76514&startat=60

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=76514&startat=20

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=76514

http://www.tarptent.com/cloudburst3.html

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=76514&startat=40

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7791924/all/New_tarptent

Big Dawg
09-15-2013, 22:00
Well,,, after starting this thread in June, I pulled the trigger and purchased the Cloudburst 3. I have to say I'm quite pleased seeing it in person! I'll be taking it on an upcoming backpacking and kayaking trip in 2 weeks, and will report back once the trip is over. I own several TT's (DR, Moment, and now the C3). I also owned the Contrail and Notch, but i returned them because they were too small for my big frame (6'5", 250#'s). The Moment has been my favorite for a while, but I think the C3 will overtake that title. I've lightened my load over the years, but readjusted based on my preferences. The C3 represents one of those adjustments. I'll admit,,, as a big guy, I like having room to move around in my tent. The C3 allows me that room. I also like the hoop design,,, head room from end to end. Ultimately the weight of this tent is minimal for what you get. My complete gear list comes in at under 18 #'s, so w/ 5 days of food & a liter of h20, I'm right at 30 #'s total,,, which is not bad for this big fella. If I can camp in luxury, and hike with minimal weight, I've won!

UL_Packer
12-09-2013, 21:12
Just trying to revive the thread. I too am going back and forth on the CB3 and the Double Rainbow and was just wondering if anyone had maybe an updated review?

Namtrag
12-09-2013, 21:49
We are interested as well...leaning towards Stratospire 2, but open to consider the CB 3

UL_Packer
12-29-2013, 23:47
Once again just trying to get some good insight. I am going back and forth between the cloudburst 3 and the double rainbow.

mankind117
12-30-2013, 09:01
Has anyone used the liner? If so does it hang pretty taut and not eat that much into the headroom?

UL_Packer
01-03-2014, 15:56
Well I pulled the trigger on a CB3 and it should be here thursday so ill post some pictures and can hopefully awnser some questions.

Chubbs4U
01-03-2014, 16:35
Congrats on the purchase...

UL_Packer
01-05-2014, 19:36
Thanks well see how it turns out.

leaftye
01-05-2014, 20:04
I don't see the point of a liner made with solid fabric when it doesn't cover any of the mesh. Drafts and vulnerability to spindrift is unchanged.

Sarcasm the elf
01-05-2014, 20:15
Has anyone used the liner? If so does it hang pretty taut and not eat that much into the headroom?

I had considered buying a liner for winter use with my TT double rainbow, but it doesn't appear to cover the mesh portions between the floor and the fly. Instead it covers the top and mid portion of the fly. This leads me to believe that it was designed to deal with misting/condensation issues (which I've never had much of a problem with in my tent)

There is an old thread about the liner that can be found here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?62537-Tarptent-Moment-liner

Franco
01-05-2014, 20:52
"This leads me to believe that it was designed to deal with misting/condensation issues (which I've never had much of a problem with in my tent)"
Correct ( and same here re problem) .
To me wiping down with a kitchen cloth (if needed) is something that takes a few seconds and I find those cloths very handy for many uses anyway.
Still, some find it irritating brushing against a possibly wet fly so the liner takes care of that.
franco@tarptent

leaftye
01-05-2014, 20:59
"This leads me to believe that it was designed to deal with misting/condensation issues (which I've never had much of a problem with in my tent)"
Correct ( and same here re problem) .
To me wiping down with a kitchen cloth (if needed) is something that takes a few seconds and I find those cloths very handy for many uses anyway.
Still, some find it irritating brushing against a possibly wet fly so the liner takes care of that.
franco@tarptent

But why use solid fabric? Durability? Nanoseeum mesh would almost certainly be lighter and still handle those issues very nearly as well.

Franco
01-05-2014, 21:37
Well if it was made with nano mesh some would comment that for an extra ounce it could be made with fabric and offer better protection...

hshires
01-05-2014, 21:48
But why use solid fabric? Durability? Nanoseeum mesh would almost certainly be lighter and still handle those issues very nearly as well.

It is true that moving to nanoseeum mesh might save about 1.5 ounces but, yes, the solid fabric is more durable. It also provides a more effective condensation barrier--droplets cannot get through--as well as a pretty good thermal layer. It traps a bit of heat in cold weather and provides noticeable heat reflection in direct sun.

-H

Franco
01-06-2014, 02:00
OK, just to give a more helpful comment than my previous one...Experimenting in my backyard with various shelters gives me the opportunity to do some comparison that I can't do or are not that practical to do in the bush .
One day playing with the Scarp I had its fabric inner up by itself.
It started raining but because I had another couple of shelters set up I just left it there.
That is when I discovered that the white fabric TT uses for the inners and liners is water resistant enough to hold mild rain for a while.
Late,r on various occasions whilst seam sealing (striping the floor), I also noticed that the fabric inner was a bit cooler than no inner or mesh inner only.
I think that Henry arrived at the same conclusion more or less doing the same.

leaftye
01-06-2014, 09:23
I do like this tent. An affordable spacious lightweight 3/4 season tunnel tent was too much to hope for.

Namtrag
01-06-2014, 10:42
It's hard to decide between this and the Stratospire 2. My wife and I are definitely getting one or the other, but we keep going back and forth over which one.

The reason I tend to like the CB3 better is that it is roomy. The SS 2 is about the same size (according to the specs) as our Jack Rabbit SL 2, and it's tight in there! I do think the SS2 has much bigger vestibules.

I guess pros of SS2 over CB3 are: lighter, has side entry ways, probably packs smaller.

Any advice Henry or Franco?

hshires
01-07-2014, 13:36
It's hard to decide between this and the Stratospire 2. My wife and I are definitely getting one or the other, but we keep going back and forth over which one.

The reason I tend to like the CB3 better is that it is roomy. The SS 2 is about the same size (according to the specs) as our Jack Rabbit SL 2, and it's tight in there! I do think the SS2 has much bigger vestibules.

I guess pros of SS2 over CB3 are: lighter, has side entry ways, probably packs smaller.

Any advice Henry or Franco?

Looking at the specs for the Jack Rabbit SL 2, it certainly looks to me like the SS2 would feel quite a bit roomier. The SS2 has quite a bit more interior height and volume.

Your comments about " lighter, has side entry ways, probably packs smaller" are all true.

-H

hshires
01-07-2014, 14:02
The SS 2 is about the same size (according to the specs) as our Jack Rabbit SL 2, and it's tight in there!

In looking a bit more at the specs and diagrams I can see that the SS2 is actually quite a bit roomier at ground/sleeping level. The Jack Rabbit SL 2 tapers inward (52" head -->42" foot) whereas the SS2 is a true rectangle (52" to as wide at 60" depending which interior apex clip setting you use). That means that you can fit two full length wide pads in the SS2 and cannot do so in the Jack Rabbit.

-H

Namtrag
01-07-2014, 14:12
Thanks, Henry! My wife pointed that out as well after I posted. The BA, definitely tapers big time, and the vestibules are very small. It's hard to even get a pack under it without a piece of the pack sticking out. I see in videos that the SS2 vestibule is big enough to sleep under.

Plus the adjustability of the SS2 width all the way to 60 really does look like it would make a huge difference!

I like the CB3 better, but the wife likes the SS2 better, and guess who will win? lol

Mobius
01-07-2014, 14:26
Thanks, Henry! My wife pointed that out as well after I posted. The BA, definitely tapers big time, and the vestibules are very small. It's hard to even get a pack under it without a piece of the pack sticking out. I see in videos that the SS2 vestibule is big enough to sleep under.

Plus the adjustability of the SS2 width all the way to 60 really does look like it would make a huge difference!

I like the CB3 better, but the wife likes the SS2 better, and guess who will win? lol

I think I offered before (my memory is foggy) but if you want to come sit in an SS2 let me know. I'm happy to set mine up, though it sounds like you (read: your wife) may have already decided. I find the SS2 big enough inside for two people and their gear without even using the vestibules.

Namtrag
01-07-2014, 15:05
I think I offered before (my memory is foggy) but if you want to come sit in an SS2 let me know. I'm happy to set mine up, though it sounds like you (read: your wife) may have already decided. I find the SS2 big enough inside for two people and their gear without even using the vestibules.

PM'd you.

Yeah, I think that taper in the BA we have really makes a huge difference. Thanks for the offer, and hopefully we can get by to take a look.

UL_Packer
01-08-2014, 01:42
The reason I chose the CB3 over the SS2 is just because I dont hike with poles and if i got the SS2 and then got the supplemental poles I figured that it would bump the standard 43ounces to more than 49 ounces (weight of CB3) which for me destroys the weight saving aspect.Meanwhile the CB3 still has more floor space while fully enclosed in mesh and with the full bathtub floor height. The CB3 also just seemed like a more storm resistant choice due to design. Of course this was just my preference due to me not using poles.

UL_Packer
01-08-2014, 02:00
Well I actually just realized that the replacement pole set for the SS2 is an extra 5 ounces making the SS2 weight come to 48 which gives you a one ounce savings over the standard CB3. I did not realize I could click on the poles in extras on the tarptent website and get specs but I guess I should have tried before guessing.

Chubbs4U
01-08-2014, 02:41
I have a 1 person Rainbow but always loved the SS, never looked too hard into the CB. Either way seems to be a good choice.

UL_Packer
01-26-2014, 01:34
Well i totally screwed up and posted all of the pics of the CB3 to another thread heres the link http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?100113-Tarptent-Contrail-vs-LightHeart-SOlo&p=1836081#post1836081 .
Anyways I weighed mine with the standard 2 crosspoles and 4 stock stakes and it came in at 54oz 5 more than the claimed 49oz. However I am using the carbon fiber aluminum hybrid poles instead of the stock aluminum ones though which are supposed to be lighter as well. Im not sure what caused the extra 5 ounces.