PDA

View Full Version : What Section Are Easier for 3-4 Day Hike

Pimms
06-22-2013, 15:12
I want to start to do some section hikes of the AT this fall. I live in Florida and would have about 8 days off of work at a time to hike. Minus 2-3 days for driving. What are some suggested easier (probably not the best word to use because I know none of it is that easy) sections for a beginner to try not too far North that I could do. I'm working on building up my endurance and leg stength now to prepare but I'm not in the greatest shape now but itching to get out on the trail. Any suggestions of favorite 3-4 day long hikes is appreciated.

Cookerhiker
06-22-2013, 15:22
Hike Maryland - park at Harpers Ferry, get a shuttle to PenMar park on the PA/MD border, hike south to Harpers Ferry. It's about 41 miles. You'll have a short but rocky uphill at the start but most of the hike is quite moderate and Fall is a real nice time to hike there.

A bit further north, hike from Pine Grove Furnace State Park in Southern PA to Duncannon, PA on the Susquehanna River. Total of 45 miles includes the very easy Cumberland Valley farmland walk. I would hike it northbound because I don't think you want to start with the uphill from Duncannon to the ridgeline.

If you want to hike closer to Florida, the best "easy" 40 mile stretch south of Virginia is in Tennessee from Rt. 321 outside Hampton to Damascus, VA. No long climbs, just some rolling. Lone Wolf can give you a shuttle.

And then you could also pick a 40-50 mile section in Shenandoah National Park. You'll have some up and down but it's well-graded - just take your time.

illabelle
06-22-2013, 15:50
All of these are good. Especially like the last two!

Hike Maryland - park at Harpers Ferry, get a shuttle to PenMar park on the PA/MD border, hike south to Harpers Ferry. It's about 41 miles. You'll have a short but rocky uphill at the start but most of the hike is quite moderate and Fall is a real nice time to hike there.

A bit further north, hike from Pine Grove Furnace State Park in Southern PA to Duncannon, PA on the Susquehanna River. Total of 45 miles includes the very easy Cumberland Valley farmland walk. I would hike it northbound because I don't think you want to start with the uphill from Duncannon to the ridgeline.

If you want to hike closer to Florida, the best "easy" 40 mile stretch south of Virginia is in Tennessee from Rt. 321 outside Hampton to Damascus, VA. No long climbs, just some rolling. Lone Wolf can give you a shuttle.

And then you could also pick a 40-50 mile section in Shenandoah National Park. You'll have some up and down but it's well-graded - just take your time.

max patch
06-22-2013, 17:46

Those are all great suggestions for easier hikes, but I really think they are more than you might want to drive. I don't know where in FL you are coming from, but once you get to Atlanta you are still 6 hours from Damascus, the closest of the above choices.

I think you should just start at Springer and hike to Neels Gap. Day 1 is super easy, day 2 will be a bit more challenging - but the time you didn't spend driving you can use for rest breaks.