PDA

View Full Version : Carrying Water Bottles

Peak2Peak
07-24-2005, 20:57
Instead of carrying my water bottles in the mesh pockets on the side of my pack, I was thinking about attaching them to the straps in the front of my pack for easier access. Make sense? What's the best way? Velcro? Clips? Am trying to free up the mesh pockets for other stuff.

hikerjohnd
07-24-2005, 20:59
Instead of carrying my water bottles in the mesh pockets on the side of my pack, I was thinking about attaching them to the straps in the front of my pack for easier access. Make sense? What's the best way? Velcro? Clips? Am trying to free up the mesh pockets for other stuff.
I've always used a clip or beaner that doubles as my clip for hanging my food bag.

johnny quest
07-24-2005, 21:17
another reason to carry them up front is weight distribution. i have not understood why more pack designers dont include places to put gear in the front. mystery ranch does a little of that. im working on a pack system for myself that will have a pretty full amount of gear in front of me where i can get to it. water will be part of it for sure

Trail Dog
07-24-2005, 21:18
try a camel back. i love em, keep em clean and your in the clear. Get a 100 oz and fill it as much or as little as you need. I carry one nalgeen but keep it cause of gatoraid mix and usually hike with it empty.

TwoForty
07-24-2005, 21:25
Get some velcro and copy this. http://www.golitestore.com/store/NS_proddetail.asp?number=PA5212

Tha Wookie
07-24-2005, 22:08
If you have bottles with a ridge in the middle, like a Gatoraid 20-oz., then you can get a 5 -inch strip of elastic cord and tie it in a square knot around a strap loop (if your pack has something like the Ray-way webbing up front). Then, you can just "rip" out your bottle when you want some. It makes the extraneous camel-back weight gain system look pretty silly once you get it down.

Thanks to Mrs. Gorp for the lessons! A PCT hiker trick!

Footslogger
07-24-2005, 22:09
Instead of carrying my water bottles in the mesh pockets on the side of my pack, I was thinking about attaching them to the straps in the front of my pack for easier access. Make sense? What's the best way? Velcro? Clips? Am trying to free up the mesh pockets for other stuff.=======================================
Started carrying a bottle that way during my thru in 2003 and still do today. I use a 20 oz Gatorade/Powerade bottle. The bottle is attached to the shoulder straps using 2 pieces of light weight shock cord. In the beginning I just tied a knot in the cord but I found that barrel locks work better.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Tha Wookie
07-24-2005, 22:09
forgot to mention you need to make your loop very small so you get a tight fit so it doesn't fall out when you jump over rattlesnakes:eek: .....

SGT Rock
07-24-2005, 22:25
I'm sort of like Wookie, except not exactly. I use a 32oz Gatorade bottle and added some light cord for carrying and a mini-carabineer like for key chains. I attach it to my straps for my pack and it can also hang from my ridge-line of my hammock when I go to bed, and all that weighs something like 1.9 ounces.

MisterSweetie
07-24-2005, 23:34
Probably a stupid question, but any chance of a picture of what Sgt.Rock and ThaWookie are describing? I can't seem to picture it in my mind. Thanks!

Lilred
07-25-2005, 00:05
Probably a stupid question, but any chance of a picture of what Sgt.Rock and ThaWookie are describing? I can't seem to picture it in my mind. Thanks!

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=105203

Here's a picture of my set up. I have two, one liter bottles that I attach to my shoulder straps with carabineers. My straps have a plastic loop attached to them that I can hook the carabineers to them. It worked great for me on my 250 mile section this summer. I can't stand the plastic taste from the camel backs, and this set up works great for me. I always know how much I'm drinking and how much I have left. It might look ridiculous, but it works for me so I don't care.

Lilred
07-25-2005, 00:08
One thing I forgot to mention. In order to avoid having the bottles bounce while I hike, I keep my chest strap over the carabiners instead of under the bottles. They don't bounce at all.

Lilred
07-25-2005, 00:15
Grrrr no edit. Freeing up the mesh pockets gives much more needed room. I keep my tent in one and my sleeping pad in the other. Ok I think I've covered all the bases now.

Doctari
07-25-2005, 03:58
UlA gear http://www.ula-equipment.com/index.htm Has detachable holders as an option for their packs, perhaps they will sell you some for your pack.

Worth a try, or perhaps you could copy what they have.

Doctari.

Footslogger
07-25-2005, 08:34
[QUOTE=Doctari]UlA gear http://www.ula-equipment.com/index.htm Has detachable holders as an option for their packs, perhaps they will sell you some for your pack.
================================================== ==
This is exactly the system I use. I saw another hiker using it in 2003 and just happened to have a few small strips of shock cord in my pack so I rigged the system. Works like a champ ...but I wouldn't use anything large than a 20 oz bottle though.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
07-25-2005, 09:22
UlA gear http://www.ula-equipment.com/index.htm Has detachable holders as an option for their packs, perhaps they will sell you some for your pack.

Doctari.
I looked for a picture of the hydration holsters but could't find one.

BTW, those Pacer Poles are nice. I messed around with them in 2004 at Trail DAys and I was HIGHLY impressed with them.

Lilred
07-25-2005, 09:32

Doctari.

This is the pack I have. you don't need the holsters. Using carabiners attached to the plastic loops already on the shoulder straps work fine.

SGT Rock
07-25-2005, 09:48
I couldn't find a picture of mind, so I whipped out this sketch of how I do it real quick. From Wookie's description I assume his is basically the same except that his would have a connector on the string so the two parts can separate and then he can loop it around the strap and hook it together again.

johnny quest
07-25-2005, 10:00
back in the day you could buy "ranger bands" at surplus stores. they were black rubber bands that you held the all important giant heavy angle head flashlight to your webbing with. nowadays i keep some of those colored pony tail hair bands.(a bag of a million for a dollar at walmart).
but what im working on is a small light fanny pack to wear on my lower chest (the belt wear bothers me) that can hold a camera, sweat rag, snack and water. like many, i dont care for a camelback but have to admit that they make you drink. keeping your water up close and personal makes you more likely to hydrate

SGT Rock
07-25-2005, 10:01
To make ranger bands, get an old bike inner tube and cut them. It's an old trick that still works.

johnny quest
07-25-2005, 10:10
good point! but then you dont have any reason to haunt saigon sam's surplus store!

the little pony tail rings are better cause 1. they dont seem to rot and break with sun exposure and 2. they would be the "ultralight" version of ranger bands and we all want to be seen as ultralight and 3. they are a product unintended for that purpose and we all like to use products that god and the manufacturer never intended to be used that way and 4. they are color coded and pretty

SGT Rock
07-25-2005, 10:12
Outstanding solution.

johnny quest
07-25-2005, 10:24
back on the weight distribution...a couple of saw ammo pouches used to be great for carrying everything from binos to water but jeez that stuff seems heavy nowadays. if only somone would make a semi rigid, deep pocket pouch specially made for hooking to your shoulder straps, with an adjustable attachment for the sternum strap. kinda like a chicom chest carried ammopouch

SGT Rock
07-25-2005, 10:36
Sixmoon Designs had (they may still have it) a vest system for their packs that worked well, similar to an LBV, so you could get one of their light packs with a vest system and distribute the load. The LuxuryLite pack system has a front pack to balance the load.

johnny quest
07-25-2005, 10:53
yeah, the luxurylite stuff is wierd looking , which can be a plus. that and arguing with yourself can be good for keeping folks at arms length i guess. im currently cutting up and mangling a mysteryranch monkey pack to fit my whims. i think i just about have it destroyed.

johnny quest
07-25-2005, 10:58
what about carrying water in your hands? at rei they sell water bottle/carriers that have an ergonomic hand strap. they are made for running but i wonder if anyone carrys them hiking. i guess you would have to be a one-poler or no-poler

icemanat95
07-25-2005, 11:43
I cordially HATE having stuff swinging loose from my pack. I like stuff secured down so it's hard to snag things or whatever as you slip through tight, overgrown trails or through the woods while bushwhacking. Having stuff loose also tends to create an unstable center of gravity/balance point, which can be important on narrower, steeper or otherwise trickier bits of trail.

I no longer "jump test" my gear and tape everything down though. My infantry days are far enough back and my need for security isn't that obsessive anymore. I just don't like loose straps, swinging pouches, etc. when hiking. I like to keep things secure and neat and quiet.

jlb2012
07-25-2005, 11:56
To make ranger bands, get an old bike inner tube and cut them. It's an old trick that still works.
of course if you don't have an old big inner tube there are these things (http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4s.tam?xax=10911&pagenumber%2Eptx=1&M5COPY%2Ectx=26229&M5%2Ectx=3591&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Field%20Packs%20%2D%20Army%20ALICE %2C%20Tactical%2C%20LBE%20%2D%20Load%20Bearing%20G ear%2C%20Accessories&level3%2Ectx=results%2Etam&query%2Ectx=bands&backto=%2Fagcatalog%2Fresults%2Etam) that are the same thing I think.

Whistler
07-25-2005, 14:40
back on the weight distribution...a couple of saw ammo pouches used to be great for carrying everything from binos to water but jeez that stuff seems heavy nowadays. if only somone would make a semi rigid, deep pocket pouch specially made for hooking to your shoulder straps, with an adjustable attachment for the sternum strap. kinda like a chicom chest carried ammopouchCheck out Aarn BodyPacks www.aarnpacks.com (http://www.aarnpacks.com). They feature two large front pockets, one on each shoulder strap. A bit heavy, but very cool looking. I'm seriously considering their smaller model.
-Mark