PDA

View Full Version : Microfleece or micro down jacket? Which to go for?

d3v
06-22-2013, 17:20
Hi all. I'm deciding between a micro downjacket like the Rab Microlight down jacket which is 350g in size medium, or a microfleece such as the Berghaus Spectrum 1/4 zip pullover which is also 350g in size medium.

Since both are around the same weight my question is simply, which is the warmest?

litefoot2000
06-22-2013, 18:24
Probably the down jacket, and it will certainly compress better.

Starchild
06-22-2013, 18:41
Warm when dry or wet? Yes it makes a
Difference unless it's dry down

hikerboy57
06-22-2013, 18:50
If you're leaving in March take both.

Wise Old Owl
06-22-2013, 22:22
I am not sure if hiking Micro fleece - down time - down.

shakey_snake
06-23-2013, 12:26
Are you planing to hike in it? Then fleece.

Old Hiker
06-23-2013, 12:32
I'm going to use a down vest for my next attempt - wouldn't the pullover limit your options to unzip, uncover, then cover back as conditions warranted? Will this be ONLY for campsites? I want down, as it seems to be warmer for the weight.

I used a long sleeved BDU jacket liner that I wore backwards, as my pack kept my back plenty warm until I stopped and took it off. The sleeves were usually pushed up over my elbows so I'm going to a vest.

Kerosene
06-24-2013, 09:26
Personally, I go back and forth on this. My down jacket is lighter (7 oz), warmer and more compressible than my microfleece (9 oz). However, I am much more apt to throw on the microfleece at a break or soon after I reach camp, or even starting out on a very cold (sub-40) morning. My latest thinking is to only bring the down jacket if I anticipate temps below freezing. My microfleece, with a dry long-sleeve shirt as a base layer and my rain jacket/windshirt over the top, can take me down to 40 degrees in camp -- at least once I've been hiking for a few days and my internal thermostat has been reset.

Dogwood
06-24-2013, 17:48
I hike with the RAB Microlight Down Vest. Like it a lot. Mine is a 3 yr old or so version when RAB used 800 or 850 down in this vest. They are now going with 750 down. The RAB jacket and vest use a Pertex Microlight shell which I like because I've yet had this vest wet out. It has some nice features too w/ zippered hand and Napolean pocket, elasticized pits(hold in heat as compared to loose fitting pits), snug waist, and high zippered chin guard offering yet more warmth. I had the chest zip fail after some 5K miles but RAB through ProLite sent me a new one no problema. Brad over at ProLite does a good job at prompt customer service. It disappears down into my packet as it scrunches up pretty small. I VERY RARELY take fleece to the trail anymore. Takes up too much volume. I only consider a light wt microfleece in really wet environs. I tend to overheast in a 1/4 zip pullover long sleeved fleece.

greentick
06-26-2013, 15:32
I like the down. I have a montbell down jacket that I picked up several years ago that weighs like 7-8oz for an XL. I don't hike in it (too hot) but I do keep it in a "hot gear" bag in the top of my pack, easy to pull out during extended breaks. My cold (southern AT) weather "system" rotates hat, gloves, shell etc depending on temp, wind and precipitation all with the goal of minimizing sweating. I usually wear a wool Tshirt/long sleeve shirt and an old army "poly-p" top while hiking in cold dry conditions.

Montbell and similar too pricey? THis is what I made for my bro-in-laws for $9.77 total. http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=27735&catid=member&imageuser=6848

leaftye
06-26-2013, 16:16
The down jacket will be much warmer and more compressible. If you use it while hiking, you should wear it backwards at the very least. This prevents the back from getting soaked, and allows you to better regulate your temperature and ventilate. If body moisture is still a problem, you can cut some holes in a plastic bag so you can wear it like a sleeveless t-shirt. The bag will be a vapor barrier, and block sweat and sweat vapor from your torso from getting into the body of the down jacket. Of course the sleeves aren't covered, but arms generally sweat a lot less than the torso. I use both techniques successfully.