PDA

View Full Version : When they make a prototype pack, do they stuff them first

Different Socks
06-22-2013, 18:00
before deciding it's a good design and selling it to the hiking public?

I don't get it. I am packing my pack that i've used only a few times so far. Once I get just the bag in and clothes, it's almost impossible to put anything in the outer side and front pockets for 2 reasons: 1)the contents makes the pack bulge out so that I can't even get the zippers up and 2) There is no room to put anything in the pockets because the pack is bulging outward.
Why do they design and make them this way? I mean shouldn't they add any extra material to the pockets so you can still something in them, or do i simply have to fill the pockets first and the main compartment?
And if I did do it the other way, once I opened a pockets to gain access to a piece of gear, i wouldn't be able to close it again.
Does anyone else wonder this or have the same problem?

And another thing: the top pocket has strap holders, but they face the wrong way--to the left and right instead of to the rear and front. What the heck did they think I'd strap on using holders going the wrong direction? For those of you confused, it goes like this: If you put a bedroll on top it is placed cross wise from shoulder to shoulder. The strap clips on this pack forces you to place the clothing/equip the opposite direction, which mean it has to be something really small.

Venchka
06-22-2013, 18:23
I own 3 backpacks. All 3 have pockets that are outside the main pack bag. Loading either the pockets or the pack bag doesn't interfer with the other.
Modern packs skimp and cut corners to cut cost. I'm keeping my old packs.
Load a pack before buying.

Wayne

Venchka
06-22-2013, 18:27
ps:
You live in Montana. Look at Mystery Ranch packs built in Bozeman by Dana Gleason who designed my Terraplane with the best pockets lid, and lashing options EVER.

Wayne

shakey_snake
06-23-2013, 11:38
Why do you have a bag with more than one compartment or with any zippers?

All my external pockets are stretch mesh. They get used to hold dirty things.

Ironbelly
06-23-2013, 15:46
This is a very common pack design flaw. Lets face it, most of the people designing these packs arn't engineers or simply don't give the design enough thought. One of the main reasons that the mainstream advice is to load a pack up with all of your gear and see how it works for you before you buy it(if possible).

It could also be that you are trying to put too much volume into too small of a pack which causes the main body to expand into the external pockets taking up that room. With the ever growing desire to go smaller and lighter this seems to be a growing problem.

Are you putting your bag in a compression bag or stuff sack? sometimes the dimensions of these are too big for alot of packs and it ends up working better to just put your bag in the bottom of the pack sans stuff sack. Just shove it in, and it will expand as needed to fit.You can wrap in a trash bag to give it some additional water proofing if your worried.

Feral Bill
06-23-2013, 15:51
Why do you have a bag with more than one compartment or with any zippers?

All my external pockets are stretch mesh. They get used to hold dirty things.Many, probably most, hikers prefer having zipped pockets for organization and security.

shakey_snake
06-23-2013, 16:11
Many, probably most, hikers prefer having zipped pockets for organization and security.My point is that OP is having a self-made problem. Packs don't need to have multiple pockets or zippers. And there're plenty of packs that don't.

Never mind that all that is counter to the ends of long distance hiking. What's lighter, zippers or no zippers?
Which is lighter: stuff sacks and packs with separate compartments for everything or carefully organizing things into your pack's only compartment?

leaftye
06-23-2013, 16:25
Even the beloved ULA has this problem. When I stuff my gear real good into the bottom of the main compartment, I can't fit my 1.5L gatorade bottles in the side pockets. I always have to remember to pack the bag with the side pockets full first.

leaftye
06-23-2013, 16:26
My point is that OP is having a self-made problem. Packs don't need to have multiple pockets or zippers. And there're plenty of packs that don't.

All my external pockets are stretch mesh. They get used to hold dirty things.

Uh huh. :rolleyes:

Feral Bill
06-23-2013, 19:18
My point is that OP is having a self-made problem. Packs don't need to have multiple pockets or zippers. And there're plenty of packs that don't.

Never mind that all that is counter to the ends of long distance hiking. What's lighter, zippers or no zippers?
Which is lighter: stuff sacks and packs with separate compartments for everything or carefully organizing things into your pack's only compartment? You are confusing means and ends. Gear, and all that entails, in a means. Your preference is not the only valid one.

shakey_snake
06-23-2013, 20:58
You are confusing means and ends. Gear, and all that entails, in a means.Right and it leads to an end. Your inability to comprehend what I said is not my confusion.

Your preference is not the only valid one.I never said it was. It's simply the one that avoids OP's frustration.

Feral Bill
06-23-2013, 22:11
Right and it leads to an end. Your inability to comprehend what I said is not my confusion.

I never said it was. It's simply the one that avoids OP's frustration. By changing his tastes to conform with yours:rolleyes:

shakey_snake
06-23-2013, 22:14
OMG! I have tastes! I must be such a terrible person!

Rasty
06-24-2013, 09:02
Even the beloved ULA has this problem. When I stuff my gear real good into the bottom of the main compartment, I can't fit my 1.5L gatorade bottles in the side pockets. I always have to remember to pack the bag with the side pockets full first.

Which pack? My Circuit doesn't have this issue.

dmax
06-24-2013, 11:10
Sounds like that pack doesn't have enough volume for all of your gear.

Venchka
06-24-2013, 11:28
A few of us old timers even buy & use & like backpacks with optional, removable external pockets.
Based on the photos of stuffed packs at the Osprey site, the majority of their "pockets" are really cavities in the main pack bag. It's easy to see why filling the main bag renders the pseudo "pockets" useless. Cost cutting. Bah! Humbug!

Wayne

Coffee
06-24-2013, 13:35

Neither does mind. I stuff my sleeping bag into a dry bag which fills up all of the room at the bottom of the pack near the side pockets which seem to still retain their full capacity. With a larger item I might have to push inward a bit to compress the sleeping bag a bit further but no big deal. I do, however, have very limited ability to get things into the front mesh pocket when I have my Bearikade canister in the pack. Seems like the canister takes up enough room to impede easy access to the mesh pocket but I don't rely on the mesh pocket for anything other than dirty clothes which can squeeze in.

leaftye
06-24-2013, 15:05

Catalyst. ---

Datto
06-24-2013, 18:19
1) the contents makes the pack bulge out so that I can't even get the zippers up and 2) There is no room to put anything in the pockets because the pack is bulging outward.

Have you tried Spanx?

Datto

Datto
06-24-2013, 18:26
Link for those who thought I was kidding:

http://au.5thvillage.com/brand/bags/backpacks/spanx/

Datto

Datto
06-24-2013, 18:48
Well obviously, they've cloaked the Spanx. What will those ultralighters think of next?

Datto

leaftye
06-24-2013, 19:41
I was mistaken. The gatorade bottles I use are 1.8 liters, not 1.5.

Different Socks
06-25-2013, 01:33
This is a very common pack design flaw. Lets face it, most of the people designing these packs arn't engineers or simply don't give the design enough thought. One of the main reasons that the mainstream advice is to load a pack up with all of your gear and see how it works for you before you buy it(if possible).

It could also be that you are trying to put too much volume into too small of a pack which causes the main body to expand into the external pockets taking up that room. With the ever growing desire to go smaller and lighter this seems to be a growing problem.

Are you putting your bag in a compression bag or stuff sack? sometimes the dimensions of these are too big for alot of packs and it ends up working better to just put your bag in the bottom of the pack sans stuff sack. Just shove it in, and it will expand as needed to fit.You can wrap in a trash bag to give it some additional water proofing if your worried.

I just put the bag in by itself.

Different Socks
06-25-2013, 01:35

Which is lighter: stuff sacks and packs with separate compartments for everything or carefully organizing things into your pack's only compartment?

I would rather have pockets to separate everything than to put each group of items into a separate stuff sack and put all stuff sacks into one big compartment. Where is the organization in that?

Different Socks
06-25-2013, 01:42
Seriously folks, I was looking at some packs this weekend online and too many of them have such a stream lined design, that i can't imagine once you stuff everything into them, that there is any way to have access to any outside pocket unless the pocket has space away from the main compartment.
Guess I have to do 2 things for the next pack purchase: 1) Take all gear and food to make sure it fits/works properly and 2) get a pack with large pockets, not the kind where the pockets hug the main compartment.

rocketsocks
06-25-2013, 02:06
Not for nothin, but I agree with ya, the packs pockets need more pleats??if that's what you call em. My OspreyAtmos 65 gives you the choice of feeding the compression straps over or under the two outside side pockets I choose to weave em inside so I have half a shot at being able to actually use em...other wise you can't hardly get a map in there.