PDA

View Full Version : Store at Allen Gap

BabySue
06-22-2013, 20:23
There's a new store at Allen Gap (between Hot Springs and Erwin). It's named "Mom's Store." It's max. 100 yards east of where the trail crosses the highway (walk to the right if you're NOBO, to the left if you're SOBO). It's run by some very pleasant and very country folks. They have simple food (sodas, coffee, ice cream, candy bars). No grill/menu. No outfitter supplies (stove fuel, etc.). They opened in early May and thus missed the bulk of thru-hiker season. They have a couple comfy chairs to sit a spell.

Cookerhiker
06-22-2013, 20:34
Good news - wishing them success in their business.

Biggie Master
06-22-2013, 21:05
Would it happen to be in this old establishment?

Old Hiker
06-22-2013, 23:31
Is that close to where Hercules and FAL used to live?

The Cleaner
06-23-2013, 07:57
Is that close to where Hercules and FAL used to live? Yep.It was open many years ago as a cigarette store.Being in NC,people would drive across the state line from TN to save a few bucks as NC's taxes were a bit lower.Till she closed it was a favorite stop to get a pint of ice cream.This was open way before Hemlock Hollow.The lady wasn't real hiker friendly and did not like phone use request.Once she said it didn't work and my friend offered to cut the phone line since she did not need it:eek:......

w00dchuck
06-23-2013, 09:05
I stopped at this store a few weeks ago on my way to hemlock hollow. I was really impressed with how nice they were to me. And since it was pretty warm out a cold soda and a burrito made for a really nice lunch. I'm sure they will add more hiker stuff in the future. As for now I'm hoping everyone that can will support this business since finding a store this close to the trail is a rare treat indeed.

Slo-go'en
06-23-2013, 10:28
When I stopped by in late April, walking into Mom's Place was like walking into a time capsule. Everything was almost exactly as it was when the place was first closed up in the early 90' including the calander on the wall and the can goods on the shelfs. I hope they get around to cleaning and fixing up the place a bit, without going too crazy in order to perserve it's original character. In any event, it was a pleasent stop and very conveniant to get a snack.

Magic_Mack
07-08-2013, 14:55
Do they allow parking for overnighters?

SawnieRobertson
07-08-2013, 16:03
Ha-ha. I remember that woman well. We were not to take our packs inside. When I, packless and wet because it was raining hard, entered, Jojo was sitting on a rocker, chatting with the lady. I needed salt. She did not have any. In fact she did not have anything I wanted, so I just returned to the rain. Then things got bad. I could not find the trailhead on the other side of the road. That's how overgrown everything was. I think I finally found it by watching someone else cross the road with no problem. Like us or not, her having that place of respite was helpful.--Kinnickinic

10-K
07-08-2013, 17:51
Great news! Stores close to the trail are like heaven.

Attila
07-28-2013, 19:03
Would it happen to be in this old establishment?

Yes. Picture taken on 7.14.2013. Closed on Sundays.

Magic_Mack
07-28-2013, 19:37
She let me park there about two weeks ago.

chief
07-28-2013, 23:30
Awesome remodel!