PDA

View Full Version : Trek Poles..

hikathon
06-23-2013, 17:53
Had a question about trekking poles..

I see that among those available, some have spiked bottoms and others have flat bottomed rubber grippers like found at the base of most walking canes.

So, pros & cons of each from someone in the know would help in this decision..

My inexperienced impression would lead me to believe (maybe mistakenly) that a spike tip gives a more stable footing in loose soil/loose stone conditions and a rubber flat bottomed tip would hold better on rock. Am I on the right track? Is there anything further I should be made aware of???

I see also most telescope to adjust length for climb vs descent. Is there anything about this feature worth noting or that differentiates some from others (ease of adjustability, etc).

And finally, in sections where you may choose not to use them, I assume they telescope down to be more compact and strapped onto your pack.

Please recommend some of the brands/models to consider. I'm sorta at the beginner stage, so please recommend something that would be relatively budget conscious but also functional (if those two can co-exist).

Tenacfan
06-23-2013, 18:06
In my vast experience (yeah right) price doesn't really mean a lot (maybe a little weight), I broke my $30.00 pole last month, and a more expensive pole would have broke right beside it. All I can say is once you use a set you won't go back without them...yes i bought another one to replace my broken one.

rocketsocks
06-23-2013, 18:44
I got a pair from sports authority after piecing parts back together that were strewn about, think i paid about $12 buck, these are cheapy poles that will not likely last...but again cheap...I like cheap. They are not light like the more expensive ones, and should they fail(and they will) i may consider buying a pair that are more expensive, better built, lever lock...and yes lighter in weight.

the rubber vs hard tip I believe come both with most poles, never seen them sold one or the other.

oh, and the poles are "Swiss Gear" I think.

illabelle
06-23-2013, 18:49
Definitely love having trekking poles! You will not regret having them.

All of the ones I've owned were sold with a removable rubber or plastic tip, which I understand is for the purpose of keeping the metal tip from damaging things - like when it's stuffed in a suitcase, or in the car, or on your lovely hardwood floor. In the woods, the rubber or plastic tip has no purpose, and you would certainly not be putting the tip on and off from dirt to rock to rock to dirt. I've either lost or thrown all of mine away.

My first poles were a cheaper twist-lock type. They worked fine, but I didn't like the grip. My second set (the ones I'm using now) are Leki brand, and have a clasp lock. I've heard some people say they are better.

Most all of them do telescope, which is necessary to get them into luggage (if you're traveling to the trail), and also makes them more compact in the car. Yes, they can strap onto your pack.

My first brand was MountainSmith (I think), and currently using Leki. My husband uses a pair of Black Diamond, an elliptical shape, which is supposed to be stronger than the round ones (he kept bending his poles). I think we paid $139 for them. Maybe you could save by getting some used poles from Craigslist or here on WhiteBlaze.

rocketsocks
06-23-2013, 18:55
And yes, walking on flat ground and down hills I use one setting (length) and I shorten them on the up hills, much easier!

Fur Queue
06-23-2013, 19:08
Hiking poles look great on girls and the more effeminate types....but the song is always the same...clickety clack...clickety clack...I use a branch or stick, call it what you will, I much prefer the Merlin feel and you don't have to stop and adjust them...you simply move your hand to suit the elevation.

rocketsocks
06-23-2013, 19:15
Hiking poles look great on girls and the more effeminate types....but the song is always the same...clickety clack...clickety clack...I use a branch or stick, call it what you will, I much prefer the Merlin feel and you don't have to stop and adjust them...you simply move your hand to suit the elevation.Yeah ok Merlin :rolleyes::p

Fur Queue
06-23-2013, 19:24
If you can find some Hazel you are quids in!

"Magical Properties: Artistic ability, magical knowledge, and optimism are provided by the enchanting use of Hazel. The energy of hazel wands promoted love and creativity allowing a person to move beyond self-serving modes of existence. Hazel is the bringer of change. Hazel also promotes creative expression, eloquence, and art of all types. This was the most common wood used to create wands in the ancient Celtic traditions. Also used in magic spells for wisdom, creativity, intelligence, navigation, inspiration, and wrath."

rocketsocks
06-23-2013, 19:36

"Magical Properties: Artistic ability, magical knowledge, and optimism are provided by the enchanting use of Hazel. The energy of hazel wands promoted love and creativity allowing a person to move beyond self-serving modes of existence. Hazel is the bringer of change. Hazel also promotes creative expression, eloquence, and art of all types. This was the most common wood used to create wands in the ancient Celtic traditions. Also used in magic spells for wisdom, creativity, intelligence, navigation, inspiration, and wrath."Now I see...I'm gonna rush right out...thank you Merlin22186:D

rocketsocks
06-23-2013, 19:42
truth be told, i did not like hiking poles at first, but a couple PA rocky hikes, I was sold, and won't likely hike without them again. Sure I have my wooden Sassafras hiking stick that I cut from a woods, but it dose not collapse or stow like my poles do, So...it's poles for me. Now that said I like doing day hikes with my ole' trusty wooden hiking stick..very rewarding, and it just feels right.

Odd Man Out
06-23-2013, 22:21
I just got a pair of Black Diamond Alpine Ergo Cork poles. These list for $140/pair but I found several places that had them on sale for about $80/pair. I picked these because I like the lightweight and soft feel of cork handles. They have the flick lock adjustment (rather than the twist lock). The flick lock is maybe a little easier to operate and gets good reviews for reliability. The ergo models from BD have the handles mounted on a more ergonomically comfortable angle. I considered a fixed length pole since I do not adjust the length much when going up or down. However, I got the adjustable ones because I do need to adjust to use them as tent poles or for storage/packing/travel. These have very fancy straps which do a lot of the work when used correctly.

I don't like the shock absorber models (loud, unnecessary, something more to break). The rubber bottoms are sometimes called "street feet", thus I assumed they are designed mostly for use on pavement. I also assume they wouldn't last long when using off trail. I never use them. I considered some of the cheap department store models (my wife has the Swiss Gear ones), but I wanted some of the features above. I also considered the ultra light models, but was worried about durability. Leki, Black Diamond, and Komperdell seem to be the biggest brand.

hikathon
06-23-2013, 22:51

"Magical Properties: Artistic ability, magical knowledge, and optimism are provided by the enchanting use of Hazel. The energy of hazel wands promoted love and creativity allowing a person to move beyond self-serving modes of existence. Hazel is the bringer of change. Hazel also promotes creative expression, eloquence, and art of all types. This was the most common wood used to create wands in the ancient Celtic traditions. Also used in magic spells for wisdom, creativity, intelligence, navigation, inspiration, and wrath."

That's the experience I'm after,...especially the wrath! I want to gain ultimate dominion over this world of ours by reaching the highest of mountain tops..from these lofty elevation, the suns rays can impart superior capabilities on the 'chosen few'. After which point, I will gain ALL magical enlightenment!! SIGN ME UP FOR YOUR CULT!! You're not Charles Manson btw, are you??

Does this Hazel have the integrated compass feature?? I need all the navigational "magic" the spirit world can offer...:)..

hikathon
06-23-2013, 22:57
I just got a pair of Black Diamond Alpine Ergo Cork poles. These list for $140/pair but I found several places that had them on sale for about $80/pair. I picked these because I like the lightweight and soft feel of cork handles. They have the flick lock adjustment (rather than the twist lock). The flick lock is maybe a little easier to operate and gets good reviews for reliability. The ergo models from BD have the handles mounted on a more ergonomically comfortable angle. I considered a fixed length pole since I do not adjust the length much when going up or down. However, I got the adjustable ones because I do need to adjust to use them as tent poles or for storage/packing/travel. These have very fancy straps which do a lot of the work when used correctly.

I don't like the shock absorber models (loud, unnecessary, something more to break). The rubber bottoms are sometimes called "street feet", thus I assumed they are designed mostly for use on pavement. I also assume they wouldn't last long when using off trail. I never use them. I considered some of the cheap department store models (my wife has the Swiss Gear ones), but I wanted some of the features above. I also considered the ultra light models, but was worried about durability. Leki, Black Diamond, and Komperdell seem to be the biggest brand.

Lots of good info there...ty

Maybe ponying up for something more tried and true is worth the extra change..even though I only get out to use them once or twice annually.

Fur Queue
06-24-2013, 08:41
That's the experience I'm after,...especially the wrath! I want to gain ultimate dominion over this world of ours by reaching the highest of mountain tops..from these lofty elevation, the suns rays can impart superior capabilities on the 'chosen few'. After which point, I will gain ALL magical enlightenment!! SIGN ME UP FOR YOUR CULT!! You're not Charles Manson btw, are you??

Does this Hazel have the integrated compass feature?? I need all the navigational "magic" the spirit world can offer...:)..

There are some things you just can't get from aluminum!! You know it's true! :)

atraildreamer
06-24-2013, 09:40
Hiking poles look great on girls and the more effeminate types....but the song is always the same...clickety clack...clickety clack...I use a branch or stick, call it what you will, I much prefer the Merlin feel and you don't have to stop and adjust them...you simply move your hand to suit the elevation.

I use a wooden pole...it's great for river & stream crossings ! :eek: :D:banana

Odd Man Out
06-24-2013, 13:45
Lots of good info there...ty

Maybe ponying up for something more tried and true is worth the extra change..even though I only get out to use them once or twice annually.

Just to be clear I wasn't advocating for one particular model or brand. Just recapitulating my thought process.

Swordpen
06-24-2013, 19:40
Three things.

I hike in rocks & hard packed sand mountains. The rubber tips on the ends offers way better control from slipping on this, than the uncovered hard "point".

On the 2 types locking mechanisms:

1. the Flick lock makes changing the pole length much easier & faster (good for either climbing or descending; or for having to adjust the pole height when you use the trekking poles as your tent poles).

2. From what I have read, the Leki "Twist Lock" is more reliable & holds little bit more weight than a Flick lock system. But its drawback is: its a PITA to learn to use & I have stripped the locking mechanism on other Leki pole sets twisting them too much or the wrong way (watch the Youtube videos, they weren't around when I was learning how to use my first Leki set years ago).

I also like the "Antishock" option, as I have a lot of arthritis, & boy, does it help cushion shock on not just your knees & hips, but your wrists, elbows & shoulders too.

That said, I have trekking poles that have both locking mechanisms, the Leki Lhasa Lite Antishock Women's Trekking Poles.

I did this, as I want to be able to adjust the pole length easily with the Flick Lock, when setting up my tent (as these are the poles I use), but I also wanted the extra strength of the Twist Lock (Which I dont ever adjust the pole length using that twist lock pole section, I just leave it alone).

HTH

leaftye
06-24-2013, 19:53
Some people swear by trekking poles, but I can do without them when it's not raining and I'm not hiking over snow. The only time I missed having them was when I was pursued by an aggressive turkey.

My inexperienced impression would lead me to believe (maybe mistakenly) that a spike tip gives a more stable footing in loose soil/loose stone conditions and a rubber flat bottomed tip would hold better on rock. Am I on the right track? Is there anything further I should be made aware of???

It should, but I haven't noticed a difference. The main reason I stopped using the rubber tip was because it got stuck in some mud. The rubber tip would help protect the floor of a Zpacks Hexamid, but there are lighter ways of doing that.

I see also most telescope to adjust length for climb vs descent. Is there anything about this feature worth noting or that differentiates some from others (ease of adjustability, etc).

I don't waste my time with that. I did at first, but that got old. The external flip locks are supposed to work better. My twisties work well enough. When I do use poles, I only adjust them for my shelter and for hitching.

Please recommend some of the brands/models to consider. I'm sorta at the beginner stage, so please recommend something that would be relatively budget conscious but also functional (if those two can co-exist).

Since I don't always use them when I bring them on trips, I usually want the lightest available. Gossamer Gear, Titanium Goat, Locura Gear, Rock West Composites.

In the snow I want the strongest poles, so I'll use my Leki Super Makalu's. I've borrowed Black Diamond Alpine Carbon poles in the snow, and they feel strong enough for me to consider buying if I need to replace my Leki's.

Since you're just trying to figure out if you'd like using poles, get the poles at Walmart.

hikathon
06-25-2013, 09:13
Some people swear by trekking poles, but I can do without them when it's not raining and I'm not hiking over snow. The only time I missed having them was when I was pursued by an aggressive turkey.

It should, but I haven't noticed a difference. The main reason I stopped using the rubber tip was because it got stuck in some mud. The rubber tip would help protect the floor of a Zpacks Hexamid, but there are lighter ways of doing that.

I don't waste my time with that. I did at first, but that got old. The external flip locks are supposed to work better. My twisties work well enough. When I do use poles, I only adjust them for my shelter and for hitching.

Since I don't always use them when I bring them on trips, I usually want the lightest available. Gossamer Gear, Titanium Goat, Locura Gear, Rock West Composites.

In the snow I want the strongest poles, so I'll use my Leki Super Makalu's. I've borrowed Black Diamond Alpine Carbon poles in the snow, and they feel strong enough for me to consider buying if I need to replace my Leki's.

Since you're just trying to figure out if you'd like using poles, get the poles at Walmart.

Also rather convincing to get in on the entry-level...

Anyway, use in ice and snow is not an anticipated use for me, so I'm getting closer to a decision it seems.

Lightweight I guess is a valid consideration too, if you'll be toting them for any distance. Not even sure I'll develop a feel for walking with them, but since my knees are giving me issues (mainly with descending), I wanted something to help slow the momentum gain (and knee stress) of traversing downhill with heavy pack.

I am wondering about length then now as another concern. Since they are mainly intended/needed on descent, how long would they need to be to be useful for slowing me up on the descent??

Some I've looked at are 54" long (4.5 ft). Seems that when I stretch my arms out in front of me, and if the terrain is descending in front, I'd have to hunch down unnaturally, even at full extendion of the poles. Seems I would need something longer possibly and I'm not tall (5'9") to keep a natural stance and avoiding hunching and of course potential back pain.

AHH! Confusing to sift thru all the details with these things. Hopefully, I get the info to have a chance at making an informed purchase (and something I'll be satisfied with).

Odd Man Out
06-25-2013, 10:45
I am wondering about length then now as another concern. Since they are mainly intended/needed on descent, how long would they need to be to be useful for slowing me up on the descent??

Some I've looked at are 54" long (4.5 ft). Seems that when I stretch my arms out in front of me, and if the terrain is descending in front, I'd have to hunch down unnaturally, even at full extendion of the poles. Seems I would need something longer possibly and I'm not tall (5'9") to keep a natural stance and avoiding hunching and of course potential back pain.

I'm 6'0" and set my poles at poles at 125 cm (49.2"). When walking downhill, even without extending them, I don't feel like I am hunched down. You just reach out with your arms. At 5'9", I don't think you need to worry about any poles on the market being too short for you.

slbirdnerd
06-25-2013, 12:24
There are places you just would not want to hike without them--great for terrain. I have Black Diamond Trail Ergo's and they were about $100. Worth it. I take two but usually use only 1, at about long "cane" length. Works for me. The spare pole is strapped in tight with my sleeping pad at the bottom of my pack. Lots of other ways to strap and lash them on if you need to. Some pack have loops for them but I prefer them on the back out of the way. I do adjust on the fly as needed and that's why the flip locks are great. The rubber grip tips are for use on rocks/hard/concrete terrain and they were extra, like $5 or something. I got them but have not used them yet. In general you would use the spike tips for normal hiking in the woods, mountains, etc. I think if you were using the poles for Nordic walking you would use the rubber tips.

jeffmeh
06-25-2013, 14:23
I use the carbide tips for all terrain, including lots of granite in the Whites. I don't see much utility in the rubber tips, at least not enough to switch them over when terrain changes. I suppose that if I were confining myself to road walking I might go with the rubber tips. All tips will wear out eventually if the pole doesn't fail first, but the carbide lasts much longer than the rubber from what I have seen.

Grampie
06-25-2013, 15:04
I am a caretaker at a AMC cabin 1540 miles from Springer. Most of the thru-hikers who stop there are using hiking poles. Quite a few start without them, but most end their hike with them.

Dharma Dog
06-26-2013, 04:13
+100 on the BD Alpine Carbon Corks. I've used a number of poles and these are the best. Light, strong, another small grip located under the main cork grip so you don't have to adjust the pole length as often and they look damn good as well.
The flick lock system developed by Black Diamond is far superior to the twist locks and more popular...which explains why Leki started using something similar after BD's patent ran out a year or two ago.

BuckeyeBill
06-28-2013, 02:59
These are the tips (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/CAMOmnifindQueryCmd?storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1&searchCategory=&ip_state=&ip_constrain=&ip_navtype=search&pageSize=24&currentPage=&ip_sortBy=&searchKeywords=28766) I got for my poles. They work great on any surface.

marti038
07-09-2013, 09:48
I obtained a pair of Black Diamond Trail Ergo Corks last week and used them for the first time this past weekend. This is the first pair of poles I've used, but I loved them. Honestly, I think I hike a good bit faster with them. I'm not sure if it's because I can step more confidently or if the use of poles helps me maintain forward momentum as I walk, but we covered 10.2 miles in 3hrs and 50 minutes (with several ups and downs).

I found that I didn't really use them going uphill very much. It just seemed easier to climb without them. I didn't think I would want them on the flatter stretches, but I used them and was glad that I did. Going downhill they were a huge help for my knees and toes.

The flick locks on these poles are basically a cam-lock mechanism that is adjustable with a small screw. They were rock solid.

I did not use the straps at all and the only time I think I will is when crossing a stream.

I chose cork because I knew I didn't want hard rubber and I have a jogging stroller for my son that has foam handles. They stay sweatty for days after a run and they stink. I'm not sure that trekking poles with foam handles are made of the same stuff, but from what I saw it was close enough to try cork instead. It rained on us all morning, but the cork handles were bone dry the next morning.

One other feature I loved is the extended grips below the angled handles on these poles. If you were hikingg up a steep slope, instead of having to colapse the pole a bit you can just move your hands down about 6"-8" to a secondary foam grip. This was occasionally useful, but like I said I didn't use them going uphill very often.

I am 6'4" and weigh about 200 lbs before a hike. I used the poles at 135cm at first, but finished the day with them at about 130cm. I will probably never go on another long hike without them.

Ezra
07-09-2013, 10:32

I too have used the same 2 sticks for many years and miles now. Only downfall is they won't work in the lightweight tents (as poles) that have developed in the past few years.

Papa Tac
07-13-2013, 13:05
I use this http://www.leevalley.com/en/gifts/page.aspx?p=52925&cat=4,104,53221&ap=4
Telescoping hiking stick - adjustable, shock absorbing, compass and thermometer, light and a good price.
As to the tip - steel point for winter, rubber for summer.
I usually use just one, but will take the wife's if needed ... great as X-C ski poles, too!

oruacat2
07-13-2013, 17:07
I'm having a hard time getting accustomed to trekking poles - I just can't find a good pace/rhythm and the wrist straps annoy the heck out of me. I'm trying, though, because I understand the benefits, especially on longer hikes. For short trips I just use my Gandalf staff (screw Merlin) - you shall not pass! It's just a cheap rake handle I grabbed from a hardware store years ago and wrapped the handle in the cloth tape used on baseball and softball bats. It's heavy as hell, but I like that sturdiness.

ChuckT
03-24-2014, 07:46
I'm 6 - 2 ish and leave mine at 135 cm. Sometimes wish they were longer when setting up my tarp in porch mode but have yet to really need the extra length on the go. I started with a single bamboo staff then used found stuff, pick up a green stick, strip off leaves and twigs and go. One time I even had a semi-custom oak(?) pole. I never could find a way to carry them to and from trail heads. Found poles I usually burned up in a last campfire, recycling. So collapsible poles are it for me.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.

Oak88
03-24-2014, 08:24
I have the Black Diamond Alpine cork poles. I do recommend them as I saw many people having issue with the twist lock poles. I broke my Alpine corks coming down Mt. Moosilauke. I went to an outfitters and replaced these with the BD Ergo cork. The Ergo cork handles failed in less than 15 miles, the cork peeled off. I had to get out of the whites and back to the outfitter who gave me another new Ergo cork. These failed after less than 15 miles. I used Leukotape to build up the grip and kept hiking. I use my hiking poles for my Solong Lighthearts Design so I have to have the poles. Lastly without poles I could not have hiked a thru as I have osteo arthritis in both knees.
I would only use the rubber tips if your doing extensive road or sidewalk hiking.

Grampie
03-24-2014, 09:00
Buy Leki poles. They are a good quality and replacement parts are availavle at most outfitters. Ditch the rubber ends they serve no purpose. The pointed ends make for a better grip when walking on rock and should be replaced when they wear out. Once you get used to hiking with them you realy don't have to adjust the lenght.
I am a caretaker at Upper Goose Pond Cabin, 1540 miles from Springer, and 90% of the thru hikers that get that far are using hiking poles. I found that they help to maintain your balance and prevent falls.
Don't believe the crap folks say about the tips scratch the rocks and erode the sides of the trail. I have observed that the pole tips do disturbe the soil but this leads to grass growing along the trail side. This helps to prevent trail erosen.

Nooga
03-24-2014, 13:45
Buy Leki poles. They are a good quality and replacement parts are availavle at most outfitters. Ditch the rubber ends they serve no purpose. The pointed ends make for a better grip when walking on rock and should be replaced when they wear out. Once you get used to hiking with them you realy don't have to adjust the lenght.
I am a caretaker at Upper Goose Pond Cabin, 1540 miles from Springer, and 90% of the thru hikers that get that far are using hiking poles. I found that they help to maintain your balance and prevent falls.
Don't believe the crap folks say about the tips scratch the rocks and erode the sides of the trail. I have observed that the pole tips do disturbe the soil but this leads to grass growing along the trail side. This helps to prevent trail erosen.

I agree. I would add that I prefer the adjustable poles with flip locks vs the twist style.

Maui Rhino
03-25-2014, 03:28
I started with the cheap WalMart hiking poles. They worked fine for a while, but the wrist straps failed after a while. I sewed new ones and kept using them. One Christmas, my wife gave me the Cabelas Alaskan Guide pole. I really like the wooden knob on the handle. These poles have lasted me for several years and many miles, and I often scoffed at the overpriced poles on the market. Eventually, the anti-shock started to squeak, and wouldn't stop, so I recently replaced them with Leki Micro Vario Ti poles. I only have a couple of hikes on them but I absolutely love them, and feel they are totally worth every penny. The Aergon grip is incredibly comfotable. The Micro Vario is a folding pole with three fixed lower sections, and 20cm of adjustment at the handle end (from 110 to 130cm). I haven't checked to see how well it fits my Tarptent Contrail, but I prefer not to use my hiking poles on my shelter, so that I can use them if I do short hikes around camp after setting up.

rafe
03-25-2014, 06:40
I've got some ancient pair of Lekis, bought around 2002. Beat up but still going strong, they've covered a good 1000+ miles. I hiked for years without poles but once I tried them I was sold.

5th
03-31-2014, 15:35
I'm 6'0" and set my poles at poles at 125 cm (49.2"). When walking downhill, even without extending them, I don't feel like I am hunched down. You just reach out with your arms. At 5'9", I don't think you need to worry about any poles on the market being too short for you.

I have to agree with this ^^^.

I'm 5'8" and set mine to 115cm regardless of slope. When going downhill I just extend my arms downward and forward. Mine are REI Traverse Shocklights with twist locks. I have not had any issues with them in the 10 years I've had them. I lost the rubber tip covers long ago and prefer the carbide tips in all terrain, even slick rock. I don't worry about wearing them down - that's why they sell replacement tips.

I like the straps. Adjusted right, they go under the outside edge of my palms just above the wrist. This allows me to swing/plant/push/repeat without really gripping the poles much at all. This makes them feel like an extension of my arms. Going uphill I can get a good push leaning on the strap. Going downhill I can rotate my hands slightly palm-down and lean on the straps to reduce downhill momentum. Because I'm not gripping tightly, my hands don't sweat and my forearms are only used for pushing, so I can go hard all day. People can say all they want about how dorky they look. I could care less. They are worth ignoring whatever annoys people about them IMO. I have had bad knees for 30 years and these things have made all the difference. I won't hike without them.

My 2¢.

lonehiker
03-31-2014, 16:24
I like the straps. Adjusted right, they go under the outside edge of my palms just above the wrist. This allows me to swing/plant/push/repeat without really gripping the poles much at all. This makes them feel like an extension of my arms. Going uphill I can get a good push leaning on the strap. Going downhill I can rotate my hands slightly palm-down and lean on the straps to reduce downhill momentum. Because I'm not gripping tightly, my hands don't sweat and my forearms are only used for pushing, so I can go hard all day. People can say all they want about how dorky they look. I could care less. They are worth ignoring whatever annoys people about them IMO. I have had bad knees for 30 years and these things have made all the difference. I won't hike without them.

My 2¢.

The vast majority of people using poles don't have a clue how to use the straps properly (or at least how they are designed to be used). You described the benefits of using the straps correctly, but the explanation of how to insert hand and grip wasn't very descriptive. I will attempt to explain it but if I fall short then hopefully someone with better explanative abilities can chime in.

From below the strap, run your hand up through the strap and then rotate your hand forward gripping both the strap and the handle of the pole. The strap will be in the V between your thumb and index finger. You will want to adjust the length of the strap loop to allow your hand to fit on the pole handle. Usually the strap loop will have to be lengthened to accommodate gloves. Generally, I adjust the pole to fit my hand with glove and then simply leave it alone when bare handed.

ChuckT
03-31-2014, 18:57
Fitting hand to strap to pole does ???
I'm in the grap and go crowd. Some ways of grasping the handles are more comfortable than others but beyond that?
Guess I'm just simple.

Franco
03-31-2014, 22:06
The Flick Lock was invented by Gipron not Black Diamond.
If your Black Diamond poles are marked Made In Italy , they were made by Gipron.
http://www.gipron.it/en/

Franco
03-31-2014, 22:14

fins1838
04-01-2014, 07:54
You WILL want those rubber tips in Pennsylvania, trust me.

peakbagger
04-01-2014, 09:54
IMHO, the prior discussion of how to use the straps on poles is dangerous in areas with marginal footing like the whites and much of maine. If you slip with a hiking pole straps to your hand, there is a good chance of doing damage to your wrists, elbows and shoulders. Sure the straps work well walking along an old road or well maintained section like the BRP, SNP or SMNP, but in bony stuff, you should be able to let go of the pole and drop it if you are falling

Franco
04-01-2014, 17:52
Strap are dangerous...
Yes if used the wrong way.
If you look at the photos I posted you will see that using the strap that way accomplishes two things :
1) you don't bend your wrist on every step you take (note that in use only the finger tip touch the pole handle )
2) you just need to open your hand and the strap will slide off if you fall
BTW, I did not invent that , straps are designed to be used that way...

lonehiker
04-01-2014, 18:37
IMHO, the prior discussion of how to use the straps on poles is dangerous in areas with marginal footing like the whites and much of maine. If you slip with a hiking pole straps to your hand, there is a good chance of doing damage to your wrists, elbows and shoulders. Sure the straps work well walking along an old road or well maintained section like the BRP, SNP or SMNP, but in bony stuff, you should be able to let go of the pole and drop it if you are falling

In general, see post #43. The straps are not strapped to your hand. If rock hopping, I agree that poles may be a detriment. But, if trail is just rocky in general, I would advocate the use of the poles and correct use of the straps.

Franco
04-01-2014, 20:32
I just uploaded a quick video clip to show how the strap on a trekking pole should be used and some quick tips on using poles.here it is :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR4zHbamFGM&feature=youtu.be

ChuckT
04-02-2014, 05:21
The video explains it well. Thanks! CVT